What's new

Mid-Length Handle for Blackbird

I have now used my new (to me) Blackbird about a half dozen times, and it is clearly one of my favorite DE razors. One slight dissatisfaction I have with the razor is the handle length. The short handle, which I have, is just a bit too short. The long handle, which I considered buying, is too long. I would like a handle in the 90-95 mm range which will match the design and polished finish of my Blackbird. Any suggestions? Also, given the way the Blackbird baseplate has an indent for the small protrusion on the Blackbird handle, how well do 3rd party handles fit?

So far these are the two leading candidates:
RazoRock Halo in polished stainless steel at 90 mm and 2.8 oz.
Halo Handle.jpg

and DS Cosmetics KVT in titanium at 92 mm and 1.9 oz.

KVT Handle.jpg

I have no experience with titanium handles, so I'm not sure how such a lightweight handle would affect the performance of the Blackbird, but I just checked and the short Blackbird handle weighs in at 2.1 oz. So there might be more of a difference in performance with the heavier Halo stainless steel handle than with the DS Cosmetics titanium handle. They're both about $30 with shipping, so there is no real price difference.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The potential issue is the narrow diameter recess. The CG handles fit. @Chan Eil Whiskers had a custom TiBam (not an option right now) handle made for his Blackbird.

If you use a regular handle that doesn't fit into the recess on the plate, just be careful with tightening the handle.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Will a nylon washer help?

My Claymore Evo has a small recess too... but the M5 nylon washer fits perfectly in that recess. The OEM handle has a chamfered edge that fits into the recess.... but with the nylon washer, the Crown handle fits perfectly.

I haven't seen the back of the BB to know exactly what it looks like. I'm sure there is a photo here somewhere..

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Will a nylon washer help?

My Claymore Evo has a small recess too... but the M5 nylon washer fits perfectly in that recess. The OEM handle has a chamfered edge that fits into the recess.... but with the nylon washer, the Crown handle fits perfectly.

I haven't seen the back of the BB to know exactly what it looks like. I'm sure there is a photo here somewhere..
You can’t use a washer with the BB.

Today I briefly tried my RazoRock bulldog handle, and while I liked the extra length, I am concerned that it only engaged a small portion of the threads. For now I'll stick with the short handle and keep my eyes open for a used CG Bishop handle.

I figured that I would provide an update, and perhaps assist anyone else looking for an alternate handle for a Blackbird. I sent an email to Italian Barber and received a quick response from Michael regarding the diameter of the top end of the Halo handles. are Both the stainless steel and the titanium handles have the same diameter and both will fit into the recess on the bottom of the Blackbird. Although the titanium handle at 100 mm is a bit longer than I was looking for, the weight at 1.7 oz seemed more suitable than the shorter, but heavier stainless handle at 90 mm and 2.8 oz.

This morning was my first shave with the titanium Halo on the Blackbird, and it was my best shave so far with the Blackbird! The added length wasn't a problem, and the light weight paired very well with the Blackbird head. I also like the way it looks and have always found the Razorock Halo handles to have very good grip.

I just tried to see if my favorite handle the Maggards MR1 would fit with a washer and it does. I will shave later to see if there's any improvement or not, but for whatever reason I rarely like any other handle than the MR1, since it's all I need from a handle - not too long nor too short, not to skinny or too thick, not too heavy or too light and it also have a very good grip. It's not the best looking handle on the market, but I'm sure I would get better shaves with it than others that cost 10 times more.

My concern with handles that don't fit into that recess is that you are relying on very few threads to hold the handle and head together. That said, I saw a post on another site where Shane of Blackland Razors did not think that would cause any problems as long as you don't try to overtighten the handle.

Looking at the length and weight of the MR1, it doesn't seem very different from the 85 mm Blackbird handle, so I'm surprised you don't like the original handle. But if you're most comfortable with the MR1, then that's what you should use.

My concern with handles that don't fit into that recess is that you are relying on very few threads to hold the handle and head together. That said, I saw a post on another site where Shane of Blackland Razors did not think that would cause any problems as long as you don't try to overtighten the handle.

Looking at the length and weight of the MR1, it doesn't seem very different from the 85 mm Blackbird handle, so I'm surprised you don't like the original handle. But if you're most comfortable with the MR1, then that's what you should use.

The thickness and the length of both handles is indeed identical, but somehow I've grown more accustomed to the MR1 and it also has a grip, which helps a little bit. It's not that the stock handle of the Blackbird is bad or anything, but I just want to try see if the MR1 is going to make the shave even better. Thanks to the grip of the MR1 I can place my fingers on the handle exactly where I want them to be to gain the best control especially during ATG and XTG passes.

I don't know why, but I prefer the simplistic old fashioned handle style compared to most fancy looking handles, which might look pretty, but even without trying them I can already tell that I wouldn't like them. I also use the MR1 on my vintage and modern razors like the RFB, NEW LC/SC, Hybrid Tech, Lupo DC, GC .84p etc.

This morning was my first shave with the titanium Halo on the Blackbird, and it was my best shave so far with the Blackbird! The added length wasn't a problem, and the light weight paired very well with the Blackbird head. I also like the way it looks and have always found the Razorock Halo handles to have very good grip.
Would you mind sharing a picture of the combo?

@Steve_in_CT

I cut down both my 100mm Halo Ti handles using a hacksaw. One I chucked horizontally into my wood lathe, the other I chucked vertically into my drill press. Taking it slow, I had no problem and simply used wet/dry extra fine sandpaper against the spinning bottom to clean that up.

The grooves make good cutting guides. I used some tape to protect my drill table and was able to rest my hacksaw blade on that. Freehand worked fine using the lathe. Slow and careful is the key.

@Steve_in_CT

I cut down both my 100mm Halo Ti handles using a hacksaw. One I chucked horizontally into my wood lathe, the other I chucked vertically into my drill press. Taking it slow, I had no problem and simply used wet/dry extra fine sandpaper against the spinning bottom to clean that up.

The grooves make good cutting guides. I used some tape to protect my drill table and was able to rest my hacksaw blade on that. Freehand worked fine using the lathe. Slow and careful is the key.
I'm not sure I'm up for trying that. I doubt that I could cut it evenly enough by hand to be happy with the result. To tell the truth, I have become very comfortable using it as is with my Blackbird. There is a DS Cosmetics titanium handle, the KVT, that is tempting, but I cannot get an answer about the diameter at the top of the handle, and I don't want anything that won't fit into the recess in the base plate of my Blackbird.

@Steve_in_CT

I had a machinist friend shorten my Razorock Ti Halo, a while back. Lopped-off about 3/8” and now its *perfect*…

(pictured next to another long handle - Muhle Rocca Birch, which I am also considering modding)

19380605-F246-451A-AA70-8A88E5BACF3E.jpeg

coincidentally, I have a new SS Machined Blackbird with standard handle due to arrive in my mailbox today. I think the 85mm length will be about perfect for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom