What's new

Mid Aggressive Vintage Suggestions

I'm looking for a little advice on purchasing my first vintage razor. From what I've read and seen here they are all cool, but if I only get one, I want to get one that suits my purposes best. I would want something that would fall into the mid-range of aggressiveness, not too mild, not too aggressive.

What do you suggest? Thank you.

If you want a "fixie" the Red Tip or Aristocrat are great. The Slim, Fatboy or Black Beauty for adjustable. Then there's the different flavors of open comb - there the New is the one to beat. They all have their own flavor so really only you can decide.

The other thing to ask is what you have now? Maybe you can get something which is what you are looking for (mid-aggro) but complementary to what you have to give more range.

A tech with the triangle cutouts, or a 40's style super speed should suit you pretty well. A red tip super speed as mentioned might be perfect for you as well. If you wanna go down the road more traveled around here, go with a new, I have a couple of them but done use them much, I prefer my super speeds and techs over them. I really like my fat boy too though, a setting of 4 or 5 is perfect for everyday shaving.

Any of the Gillette Super Speed razors would be a great choice. I prefer the 40's style and think they are the best of the Super Speed razors. They are a little more aggressive than the Tech razor and with a Feather blade they are smooth and efficient razors. The Red Tip is the most agressive of the SS razors and is a great shaver as well. The Blue Tip is milder and very similar to the Tech razor in aggressiveness. Then there are the flare tip which are the middle of the road in aggressiveness. The earlier razors 40's style seem to be a bit smoother than the later Flare tip razors.

The he later Black handle Flare tip is a lighter razor but otherwise similar to the Flare Tips. Most feel as though the earlier razors are smoother shaving and better made and I would agree with that assessment for the most part. I have one or more of each style and enjoy all of them, pick one that suits your liking and enjoy a great TTO razor.

Or you might consider a Slim or FatBoy that is adjustable and thus shaves from mild to agressive.
Any one of these will be a great razor!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I totally agree on going with a NEW or some form of adjustable. Can't go wrong, there.

Do you have a preference in the type of razor? Open comb, safety bar, 3 piece or twist to open?

View attachment 543009
$redtip-rhodium-rosegold-940x626.jpg

I think you need a NEW & a Super Speed. Both are excellent razors and are mid aggressive, but they have a really different feel and there's no way of knowing which will suit you without trying both. Neither are expensive to find at user grade.

I personally prefer the NEW but I lean towards 3 piece vs. TTO

A tech with the triangle cutouts, or a 40's style super speed should suit you pretty well. A red tip super speed as mentioned might be perfect for you as well. If you wanna go down the road more traveled around here, go with a new, I have a couple of them but done use them much, I prefer my super speeds and techs over them. I really like my fat boy too though, a setting of 4 or 5 is perfect for everyday shaving.

I never knew about the triangle variant of the Tech - but I have one! Glad to know - thanks.

It looks a NEW is in my future. Imatabor - I should have stated that I would prefer an OC since I have never tried one, so it looks like I'm killing two birds with one stone.

Thank you all for your help.

Then the NEW can't be beat, good choice.

Some people don't like OCs or prefer a TTO, so I didn't want to just jump in.

Top Bottom