What's new

Microwaving Shave Soap

I've been wet shaving for a total of 1 week and 2 days, and I'm happy to say it's everything I hoped it would be and more. I tell any one who can stand my boyish excitement to give it a go. But I digress...

I read somewhere on here that you could moisten your shave soap a little, set it in a bowl (obviously not metal), and pop it in the microwave a while so that your puck will melt and thus conform to your bowl for a perfect fit. I just received a puck of Col. Conk (almond) in the mail, and am eager to try this little tip out. BUT, I'm paranoid that by nuking the soap, the process somehow or another ruins the efficacy and performance of said soap. If anyone has ever done this or currently does this, I would greatly appreciate some input and opinion. Thanks for your time, and happy shaving.

Respectfully,
Fosh

Fosh, first, WELCOME to B&B!

Since your Col. Conk soap is a glycerin soap, it's safe to melt it in your microwave and will not affect its performance one bit. Just use 10 second bursts, and watch for overdoing it.:thumbup1: By the way, do NOT try this with anything but a glycerine soap--it will ruin it!

When you get a chance, please head over to the Shave Clinic and Newbie Check-In forum, and then to the Hall of Fame subforum to introduce yourself to the rest of us. If you need more guidance, there are links in my signature to help you along.

Enjoy your time here, and once again, WELCOME!

Last edited:
By the way, do NOT try this with anything but a glycerine soap--it will ruin it!
I once microwaved a snurdle of Musgo Real cream, just to see what would happen. Total disaster. It expanded to 100 times its original size, and became an unusable foam that was mostly air. And my microwave oven smelled like MR for a month.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I once microwaved a snurdle of Musgo Real cream, just to see what would happen. Total disaster. It expanded to 100 times its original size, and became an unusable foam that was mostly air. And my microwave oven smelled like MR for a month.
Were you married at the time? :biggrin:

I'm really glad I am not the only one who does this kind of stuff. LOL

Ronnie

I've done it with a couple of pucks of Col. Conk - melted them in a microwave and then poured them into wooden bowls. The soaps were unaffected and are still working just fine.

Mmmm, Musgo infused Hot Pockets.

I now want to microwave some shaving cream

Thanks for the warm welcome man, this place is great for those of us just coming into the hobby. I appreciate everyone's advice, as well as the humor haha. Im gonna go get a shave in before I melt the **** out of my puck, but after that i'll stop by the newbie check in. Thanks for the time everyone, and happy shaving.
Take It Easy,
Fosh

I've done it with a couple of pucks of Col. Conk - melted them in a microwave and then poured them into wooden bowls. The soaps were unaffected and are still working just fine.​

I just planned on melting my soap in the bowl I currently use my soap in, and letting it conform to that and dry rather than pouring it into something else. But the smell from your pucks was still as strong and the lather was still pretty decent? And is your Col. Conk the Almond or the Bay Rum? I'm not familiar with what Bay Rum smells like, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy it....if you've used both, which do you like better (smell wise)?

Respectfully, Fosh

Last edited:
But the smell from your pucks was still as strong and the lather was still pretty decent?

Yes, it was (and is) just fine - I had lathered and shaved with them a couple of times before I did the melt.

And is your Col. Conk the Almond or the Bay Rum? I'm not familiar with what Bay Rum smells like, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy it....if you've used both, which do you like better (smell wise)?

I haven't actually tried either of those two - my two are the Amber and Lime. The Lime is pleasant, if a bit artificial, but I really like the Amber.

I use Col Conk Bay Rum and I melt it to conform my Old Spice Mug. Twenty seconds works just fine. Be aware that it needs to cool and solidify before you can use it. I think it takes about a half hour, but I usually do it in the evening so it will be ready for the next morning.

It doesn't effect the microwave at all and the soap seems totally unaffected.

Most of Col. Conk's soaps are glycerin-based. However for some reason the Almond does not state on the package that it is glycerin-based like their other shave soaps do. It may or may not be glycerin-based but I would be sure before attempting to melt it in a microwave. Tallow soaps (whether they are for shaving or not) will bubble and turn black in the microwave very quickly. Once nuked a tallow soap is unusable for anything but smelling up the garbage can and house. You can always grate it and smush it into whatever container you wish.

I always pop my VdH in a bowl (an old TOBS tub) and nuke it. I picked up two pucks today on sale at Walgreens, and I'm planning on maybe introducing some other scents to it.

Like everyone has said, be vigilant and do it in short bursts, and be sure to let it completely cool and solidify afterwards

Last edited:
Top Bottom