What's new

Microwaving my mug... anybody else ever try this?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I tried something really way out today. I just wasn't gonna wait any longer for hot water that doesn't get really hot anyhow, so I put a teaspoon or so of water on my soap in my mug and stuck it in the micro. After two minutes it was bubbling over. Took it out, (it was crazy HOT!) made a lather as usual, and did my business. The lather had a much more creamy consistency, and when I relathered, it was still almost painfully hot.

I suspect that the soap won't last as long doing this, but a puck of soap is pretty cheap. I have tried using boiling water, all that stuff... this is the hottest lather I have ever got outside a barbershop. Next I might try nuking a cheap brush loaded with water right there in the mug. YOW! Can't wait!

I tried something really way out today. I just wasn't gonna wait any longer for hot water that doesn't get really hot anyhow, so I put a teaspoon or so of water on my soap in my mug and stuck it in the micro. After two minutes it was bubbling over. Took it out, (it was crazy HOT!) made a lather as usual, and did my business. The lather had a much more creamy consistency, and when I relathered, it was still almost painfully hot.

I suspect that the soap won't last as long doing this, but a puck of soap is pretty cheap. I have tried using boiling water, all that stuff... this is the hottest lather I have ever got outside a barbershop. Next I might try nuking a cheap brush loaded with water right there in the mug. YOW! Can't wait!

My tap water isn't too hot, either, so I take one of those large Pyrex pitchers and microwave 3 cups for 4 minutes, then put in a scuttle for lathering. That's a little too hot, but I think I'm closing in on the solution.

Similar note: I've got extremely hard water. Calcium deposits are everywhere in the bath, on the dishes. You name it, it's got hard water marks on it. I read something about the effects of hard water and was on my way to SUPER LATHER! Place my 64 oz cup filled with solid carbon-block filtered water in the microwave for about 3 minutes so it's piping hot. Drop in my AOS Fine Badger while I shower. I then develop Huge, huge lather with almost no effort at all! Okay it's probably the same as anyone with softer water but OMG what a HUGE difference. The shaves actually feel wetter and smoother too and my face continues in a happy place all day long.

At bottom: I enjoy the warm lather in these copious amounts and have incorporated this into my daily ritual.

Don't try this if you're using Tallow based soaps! They don't like getting nuked...and can make a hell of a mess! :angry:

Top Bottom