What's new

[Microscope] GEM stainless ptfe coated, up close

So here's what a fresh GEM stainless steel ptfe coated SE blade looks like under the microscope:

$skhYd.jpg
$d9EJQ.jpg
Notice the "crackle" on the last bevel. I think it's tiny cracks in the ptfe coating.

And now The GEM SE blade compared to a fresh Personna Med DE blade:
$h7Hzg.jpg
$Xn6dC.jpg
The Personna's edge is out of focus because the GEM is quite thicker than the DE blade and the optics' dof is too small to get the both focused.

Link to complete album: http://imgur.com/a/kbXgZ#0

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting that Dave.What I would find interesting is to see is what the coated stainless steel GEM Personna blades like those sold at Walgreen's Drugstore looks like in comparison to the GEM stainless steel ptfe coated SE blade you captured here.

There's been some confusion over whether they are one in the same or different.I can send an unused Store bought SS GEM Personna "volunteer" for pictures if you're up for more microscope action.

Thanks for the pics! This diminished my trepidation of my upcoming first SE shave. Those GEM blades look scary, but in the microscope it sure looks like a quality edge for shaving.

A new GEM Personna Coated Stainless Steel Blade (type sold by Walgreens etc) is on it's way to Rodeodave for comparison

ThankYou David,looking forward to seeing your images

Last edited:
Love close up photos of the micro world. Are there 3 bevels?

-jim

Sure looks like it. The last two bevels seem to have proportions similar to those of DE blades, with the last one even having a comparable polishing. The first bevel is a lot longer due to the SE blade's greater thickness. The GEM SE's brute exterior is deceiving.

So here's what a fresh GEM stainless steel ptfe coated SE blade looks like under the microscope:

View attachment 280912
View attachment 280913
Notice the "crackle" on the last bevel. I think it's tiny cracks in the ptfe coating.

And now The GEM SE blade compared to a fresh Personna Med DE blade:
View attachment 280914
View attachment 280915
The Personna's edge is out of focus because the GEM is quite thicker than the DE blade and the optics' dof is too small to get the both focused.

Link to complete album: http://imgur.com/a/kbXgZ#0

Enjoy!
Thanks for posting, B&B member SIBurning also does a great job at taking these close ups.

My best guess is that the crackle is from grinding through the metal grains, leaving an uneven edge. In some blades, there's also roughness from metal fragments "rolled over" the edge or pushed onto the edge during grinding.

A good example from my pictures is the PAL, though it shows up in almost every blade.

It looked like the crackle extended into the adjacent grind, like a coating that starts peeling. Haven't seen anything comparable in DE blades. I'll try to get more detailed shots in the next round of comparisons.

Your pics and setup make me really jealous, SiBurning, nice work!

Rodeodave, see my thread which has decent pictures starting around 20 or 30 posts in.

Alphonse, you've got some really excellent pictures there. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

I actually edited that post to change the names. Had it right the first time. Some days, I can't even get it right when I get it right.

Top Bottom