What's new

Micromatic Passaround - Try one out and Join Micromatic Mondays!

What razors are part of the pass around. I have the featherweight and the gem micromatic. Curious if there are some that are different. Just started working again so if it's got razors that will feel or shave different I would like to join if I can.

Get them moving then.

Sorry I’ve been slow here. Two separate but equal excuses:
1) since the platform upgrade I have been getting only a few notifications from threads I watch, none at all from this thread
2) I’ve been traveling since Saturday

I definitely do not need the razor I contributed to be returned. I’m glad to see the passaround moving forward! Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

Also, I ‘invested’ in 100 GEM PTFE blades. So @Umma2gumma , if you need blades, or are just open to upping the passaround blade inventory, PM me and I’ll mail you a bunch.

I will get back to monitoring/promoting this passaround thread and see how much interest there is. I could add some other GEM/ASR SEs if it gets moving. Looks like @Suhrim21 is back in the hunt, so that’s the next waypoint.

As I understand it now, none of the passaround razors need to go back to the original donors. If it eventually peters out, I will take responsibility to convert it to a PIF. Sound right?

Also, I ‘invested’ in 100 GEM PTFE blades. So @Umma2gumma , if you need blades, or are just open to upping the passaround blade inventory, PM me and I’ll mail you a bunch.

I will get back to monitoring/promoting this passaround thread and see how much interest there is. I could add some other GEM/ASR SEs if it gets moving. Looks like @Suhrim21 is back in the hunt, so that’s the next waypoint.

As I understand it now, none of the passaround razors need to go back to the original donors. If it eventually peters out, I will take responsibility to convert it to a PIF. Sound right?

I just started working Monday so now I can afford to ship package to the next person on the list.

Also as a side note is there any of the full size that are as mild as say the featherweight razor. My brother loves the brass micromatic but said it's a little too aggressive for him. He said the featherweight aggressiveness is great. I want to find a full size brass one that is mild like the featherweight so I can get for his bday.

Thanks for your generous offer. I bought 40 uncoated GEM SS blades which work fine in my Ever-Ready so I want to use them & compare apples to apples.I don't have any issues using them without coating. But if you include the coated ones I'll happily pass them on to the next guy.

Thanks for your generous offer. I bought 40 uncoated GEM SS blades which work fine in my Ever-Ready so I want to use them & compare apples to apples.I don't have any issues using them without coating. But if you include the coated ones I'll happily pass them on to the next guy.

That's the other thing I want to try is the uncoated blades. Someone sent me a few blades but I accidentally mixed them with the coated blades I bought. I know there are some blue star or something like that and the treet blades and of course the gem coated blades. Are there any other blades I need to search for so I can try. I really want to try all of the blades that fit the featherweight and mmoc. Since I am now working again once I get bills caught up I can buy them. These are the SE razors I have. The brass one was kindly gifted to me and I love it. I am really wanting to try more so I know what ones I need to buy for myself and to buy to give to people who want to try wet shaving. I love having extra inventory so I can get more people into wet shaving.

20191023_193459.jpg
20191023_193519.jpg
20191023_193454.jpg
20191023_193530.jpg
20191023_193537.jpg

I just started working Monday so now I can afford to ship package to the next person on the list.

Also as a side note is there any of the full size that are as mild as say the featherweight razor. My brother loves the brass micromatic but said it's a little too aggressive for him. He said the featherweight aggressiveness is great. I want to find a full size brass one that is mild like the featherweight so I can get for his bday.

Check out this thread for opinions on Gem razor models:

I personally think the G-Bar aka Heavy Flattop is a pretty equivalent shaver to the Featherweight. Pictures:
9D03A4C0-1617-43F6-ABAD-2FB76BF60B5C.jpeg

141C35BB-0D18-4E6A-86A3-F56911B305E1.jpeg

I would call the Clog-pruf the closest ‘Featherweight equivalent’ of the Micromatic TTOs, but the the additional weight and length definitely results in a different shave.

That's the other thing I want to try is the uncoated blades. Someone sent me a few blades but I accidentally mixed them with the coated blades I bought. I know there are some blue star or something like that and the treet blades and of course the gem coated blades. Are there any other blades I need to search for so I can try. I really want to try all of the blades that fit the featherweight and mmoc.

There are the PTFE coated and uncoated stainless blades. Then there are the Gem Blue Stars made from carbon steel, not stainless. All these types may be sold under a variety of store brands, but they are all made by AccuTec. I don’t think anyone recommends shaving with the non-AccuTec blades made for scraping paint and doing arts and crafts projects.

Received the razors on Saturday (was traveling so didn’t try them until Sunday).

My first shave with MMOC was kind of rough, my fault as I got too complacent using my mild and super forgiving Ever-Ready1912 and didn’t watch the angle and pressure as I should have.

Used a DE yesterday, and this morning tried the Clogproof.

Seems like an efficient but fairly aggressive razor, somewhere in between the 1912 and MMOC.

For both tests I’ve used my non-coated (or so I think) SS Gem blades and Arko stick. I will pass the blades and soap so generously included with the razors on to the next person.

So, I tried all three:

MMOC - pretty aggressive. Forgot to keep it flat on my face and got irritation. Will try again tomorrow, the right way.

Clogproof - fairly aggressive, fairly efficient, a little rough. Not bad.

"Plain" Micromatic - very mild, somewhat similar to my Ever-Ready 1912.

So, I tried all three:

MMOC - pretty aggressive. Forgot to keep it flat on my face and got irritation. Will try again tomorrow, the right way.

Clogproof - fairly aggressive, fairly efficient, a little rough. Not bad.

"Plain" Micromatic - very mild, somewhat similar to my Ever-Ready 1912.

Sounds like you have the Micromatics well under control. The MMOC was my first Gem SE. Some practice with a 1912 first would have been very beneficial for me. Not that I would call either the 1912 or the plain/bullet tip Micromatic mild.

Sounds like you have the Micromatics well under control. The MMOC was my first Gem SE. Some practice with a 1912 first would have been very beneficial for me. Not that I would call either the 1912 or the plain/bullet tip Micromatic mild.

That’s very interesting because I’d rate the 1912 as a super mild razor (still efficient). I got so spoiled by it I forgot to watch my angle and pressure with MMOC; it’s like shaving with a cart.

I think @Suhrim21 is ready to receive the passaround.

Hey, Suhrim21, would you like me to send you a few Gem Blue Stars and some PTFEs to shave with and to add to the box?

Sure I know I have some of the gem ptfe blades. I have a blade or two of some others but they got mixed in with the ptfe blades so now I have no idea what is what.

I have tried all kinds of blades with mine but could never find a combination that I liked. I even modified a couple to use Feathers in them.
I know others like them but no joy for me.

I am on a business trip, will ship the pack to @Suhrim21 On Saturday. I’ll throw in my few remaining carbon steel blades. They seem smoother and sharper than stainless (not a whole lot) but need to be taken out and dried after each use to avoid rusting.

I take the blades out each time and put them in razor oil.
I then put them in a air tight container.
I have blades that are over two years old stored this way and it keeps them ready to shave when I decide to try out a new to me razor.

I take the blades out each time and put them in razor oil.
I then put them in a air tight container.
I have blades that are over two years old stored this way and it keeps them ready to shave when I decide to try out a new to me razor.

I need to do that

Top Bottom