What's new

Micromatic Passaround - Try one out and Join Micromatic Mondays!

The box will go out tomorrow. Again I apologize for the delay. I know @Screeby. Is waiting for it. I am not trying to delay the pass around. I apologize for delaying it.

I was able to get to the post office and send off the box. I am sorry and apologize for the delay getting it out. Thank you for allowing me to be part of the pass around. I really enjoyed it. I have learned it is going to take a bit of time to get good consistantly shaves with an SE.

I was able to get to the post office and send off the box. I am sorry and apologize for the delay getting it out. Thank you for allowing me to be part of the pass around. I really enjoyed it. I have learned it is going to take a bit of time to get good consistantly shaves with an SE.

Glad you enjoyed the pass around! I just had a fine MMOC Micromatic Monday shave. My first Gem shaves were really difficult, coming from decades of DE habits.

Glad you enjoyed the pass around! I just had a fine MMOC Micromatic Monday shave. My first Gem shaves were really difficult, coming from decades of DE habits.

I mainly use straights. The MMOC is great on everything except ATG on neck. When I try that I get nicks and cuts and the worst razor burn I've ever had. Then to top it off I grabbed the wrong aftershave and used pinaud clubman instead of lucky tiger. There has only been one time in my life something with alcohol on skin has burned so bad I punched and broke tile counter. I will never do that again. I think I just need more practice.

I mainly use straights. The MMOC is great on everything except ATG on neck. When I try that I get nicks and cuts and the worst razor burn I've ever had. Then to top it off I grabbed the wrong aftershave and used pinaud clubman instead of lucky tiger. There has only been one time in my life something with alcohol on skin has burned so bad I punched and broke tile counter. I will never do that again. I think I just need more practice.

Okay..... Maybe I should finally get some Lucky Tiger, just to protect my knuckles. My ’favorite’ alcohol burn is Florida Water. What is that stuff, 180 proof? It burns when I haven’t even shaved.

I am still improving my SR technique, but my Micromatics are finally effortless.

Okay..... Maybe I should finally get some Lucky Tiger, just to protect my knuckles. My ’favorite’ alcohol burn is Florida Water. What is that stuff, 180 proof? It burns when I haven’t even shaved.

I am still improving my SR technique, but my Micromatics are finally effortless.

I love lucky tiger. Nice citrus scent with some masculine scent that I cant isolate.

My straight shaves are getting a lot better and a lot smoother.

I got the box. I am gonna wait on starting in the box to be totally honest. I leave Wednesday evening/Thursday morning for a snowmobile trip and don't want to start using them and then stop. There is no way I am taking them with me as the EXTRA hard water on top of the hill is nasty to razors.

My plan is to use each razor a couple days in a row, each razor with a new blade of mine so I can compare the differences to my 1912 ER.

What are the blades that are in the box? Appears to be two black cases of blades then some loose blades in a bag??

Thanks.

KM

Day 1 this morning with the featherlight. I used a one shave old blade. IT TORE ME UP!!!.

My 1912 gave me a GREAT shave the day before with that blade with 2 TINY nicks.

I am not sure if I just was totally sloppy as I figured it was a milder razor and the blade had a day on it and my best shaves come from day #2 to #7 with these blades. I had nicks, I have razor burn.

It looked terrible. Now the nicks obviously went away but the burn remained.

Tomorrow will be a much more careful day.

KM

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Day 1 this morning with the featherlight. I used a one shave old blade. IT TORE ME UP!!!.

I am not sure if I just was totally sloppy as I figured it was a milder razor and the blade had a day on it and my best shaves come from day #2 to #7 with these blades. I had nicks, I have razor burn.

KM
Oh wow!!! The only thing that comes to mind is potentially pressure....I don't use any at all, whether it's my Featherweight or a 1912. Perhaps the plastic handle had you unknowingly applying too much pressure. I'm glad you're giving it another go -- looking forward to hearing about it, and hoping it will be a better shave for you.

I plan on trying to get a week of shaving with it. It is what I do with my other razors and to get a good feel I think I need about that much time.

For sure the issue is on my end, I am guessing that in my head I told myself that the razor is not very agressive and I know I was moving pretty quick. Going forward I will be much more careful.

KM

KM

That's crazy. The featherweight in my opinion was the mildest of all of them. I wonder if you are use to a more aggressive razor and going to a mild razor is causing you to think it's not as efficient.

Day 2 on razor, day 3 on blade.

Today had 3 little nicks. No new razor burn.

Worked very hard at making sure the pressure was as little as possible.

I also didn't stretch the skin today either. Just let the razor cut what it wanted.

Much better and closer to what I am used to with the 1912.

KM

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Day 2 on razor, day 3 on blade.

Today had 3 little nicks. No new razor burn.

Worked very hard at making sure the pressure was as little as possible.

I also didn't stretch the skin today either. Just let the razor cut what it wanted.

Much better and closer to what I am used to with the 1912.

KM
That's good to hear....sounds like things are improving.

Day 3 on Razor, day 4 on blade.

SUCCESS!!!

An almost BBS shave save for the adams apple.

No blood.

This is how this thing is supposed to shave. I do find I have to do a 4th "clean up" pass that I don't have to with my other razors.

I am guessing this is coming from me not stretching skin and being a bit extra careful.

I will roll with this razor until I feel the blade leave me.

Any ideas what the other two blades are in this box?

KM

Any ideas what the other two blades are in this box?

I haven’t seen the box since I first sent it out. Can you post a picture of the blades? If they say GEM on one side and ’stainless’ on the other they are most likely PTFE coated, but might be uncoated.

My Gem Blue Star carbon steel blades are marked on only one side, as shown:

A078922F-7B77-4F59-AA85-E6B29FEADE63.jpeg

If you need a few more blades, let me know. I am well stocked. It would be good just to add some to the box.

I’m not even sure which razors are in there currently. A photo or an inventory would be informative. I wasn’t aware a Featherweight was in the mix.

Enjoy! I don’t think there is any time pressure. :biggrin1:

So there are some blades like you have posted there in there in a plastic container. Then blades marked gem and stainless in a different container and more of the same in a Ziploc bag with cardboard wrapped around them.

I only know the feather light razor. The clog pruf on because I can read it on the razor.

The other two I am not sure on. I am just learning these single edge.

Honestly the time thing is a true bonus as I can work through each razor and hopefully learn what it likes. Then make a better decision on what my next razor purchase will be.

I am not familiar with the blue star carbon blades. How will they compare with the coated blades that I have now?

KM

Double day report.

Friday would be day 4 on the razor, 5 on the blade.

Very nice shave. No blood. Very little irritation. How a regular everyday shave is hoped to be.

Saturday (today)

Day 5 on razor. Day 6 on blade

I believe I lost the blade today.

While just two tiny little specs and there was no blood my irritation level is much higher.

6 or 7 days is where I am at typically on this blade so this isn't totally unexpected but yesterday was so nice.

Any suggestions for the next razor? And point it out in the pictures so I know which one your talking about.

KM

I went with the GEM Micromatic with a fresh blade.

Very nice shave. It would have been even better if I was wasn't greedy and making extra strokes chasing a bbs.

I liked it much better then the featherlight and was very close to my 1912.

KM

The three Micromatics from top to bottom are the 1) Bullet Tip with the guiding eye on the cap (also known as the MMBT or the Flying Wing), the 2) Open Comb (MMOC), and the 3) Clog-Pruf (MMCP).

There are two versions of the Clog-Pruf, distinguished the number of bumps on the safety bar.

There are also two variants of the MMOC. One has two small bumps in the blade bed, the other is ‘bumpless’.

Top Bottom