What's new

Micromatic Passaround - Try one out and Join Micromatic Mondays!

Day 1.

Clog Pruf

Wowsers. She is much like the open comb. Now, it was day one on the blade so I always seem to have an "extreme" shave on day one.

It is now a couple hours after the shave and my face is soo smooth.

The next couple days will prove to be interesting if I would consider this an everyday razor like my 1912 or the bullet tip.

KM

Day 2.

Same shave as yesterday. I am noticing that I have less stuble in the morning then normal. This thing is a very close shaver. It also feels like it is much more angle dependent then I am used to.

Again, it reminds me more of the OC then the bullet tip.

KM

Day 3

This was overall the worst shave of the three with this razor.

It was the least irritating, which is probably from me being extra cautious but also I have a lot of stubble left. Standard 3 pass shave with clean up like I normally do.

I will give this razor one more day and then reevaluate if I will use it going forward.

KM

Day 4

The shave was irritated. It wasn't as close as it was in day 1. I was actually wondering if I had a bad blade.

Day 5 (today)

I took the blade out and put it in a different razor. I had a very nice shave. Not a bad blade. I just struggle with that razor.

KM

Another fine shave from the bullet tip.

So a question.

Would anyone be frustrated or angry if I jumped in the fixed four for March madness?

I would like to use the bullet tip.

KM

So how does the Micromatic Bullet compare to say the 1912 head on my thick black handled GEM Jr? - They're the sold bar or slightly scalloped head, vs the open comb of the 1912, right?

Just curious, it's not like a need yet another razor, with my two favorite SE models being my Schick Adjustable and OneBlade Genesis, oddly loaded with a modified GEM most of the time.

Another fine shave from the bullet tip.

So a question.

Would anyone be frustrated or angry if I jumped in the fixed four for March madness?

I would like to use the bullet tip.

KM

I think you’re good to go for March. This passaround hasn’t been about time pressure.:biggrin1:

Well no one was in line and I felt I could jump into that March Madness fixed four but didn't want to commit. I didn't do it, felt odd. Also if someone wants them at some point I would have to get out of it. Its fine, I shaved with my 1912 to make sure I didn't get tempted to do it.

Do I just hold them until the next guy comes along?

What if I want to buy the bullet tip??? :)

KM

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday March 2 2020, Pulled out my Gem Jr Parade and it's like we one together when it comes to fine shaving, I really enjoyed my shave like usual with this razor. Not sure if it is the audio feedback while shaving or just the results at the end of the shave that puts a smile on my face!

Razor: Gem Junior parade with the baton handle- Mfg 1943 variant
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (9)
Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea" - nice scent with great lather qualities.
Brush : Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft synthetic black whiskers.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Razorock T.D.S aftershave with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: :thumbsup:great shave and hit the sweet spot.

MMMonday March 2 2020 (2).jpg

Some times I like to leave some manuals and other information if some one buys a used Gem razor.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

What if I want to buy the bullet tip??? :)

I haven’t given much thought to how the razors will exit the passaround. What I should be doing is promoting the passaround on various SE threads again.

I kicked things off with the MMOC. @bobmsp was familiar with passaround practices and started the thread. @BBS-1 kicked in the bullet tip and the Clog-Pruf. I have lost track of the origin of the Featherweight.

I suppose you could get in touch with @BBS-1 about the bullet tip. It is nice to have all three Micromatics in the passaround, though.

And, yes, you just hang onto them until you ship them off to the next person.

I understand. More said that in jest. I will continue to use these razors and will remain on the look out for a bullet tip of my very own.

I haven’t given much thought to how the razors will exit the passaround. What I should be doing is promoting the passaround on various SE threads again.

I kicked things off with the MMOC. @bobmsp was familiar with passaround practices and started the thread. @BBS-1 kicked in the bullet tip and the Clog-Pruf. I have lost track of the origin of the Featherweight.

I suppose you could get in touch with @BBS-1 about the bullet tip. It is nice to have all three Micromatics in the passaround, though.

And, yes, you just hang onto them until you ship them off to the next person.

If @Screeby really wants that bullet tip it is all his. I agree about having all three but I also was planning to pif of the Clog Pruf and Bullet tip whenever this pass around finished up. Besides if this was a full spectrum Micromatic pass around we'd need 3 other razors to complete that. In 1949 they adjusted the razor heads so we'd also need a Bullet tip made 1949 or later and the only one that can be dated to after 1949 is the plastic knob bullet tip, then we'd need a Clog Pruf Peerless which shaves differently from a standard Clog Pruff and finally a bumpless Micromatic open comb razor.

The_Boston_Globe_Sun__Sep_25__1949_.jpg

If this ad is referring to the same as above from 1948 then any bullet tip without a guiding eye will suffice to complete the set. If not then we'd also need a 4th razor which is an all metal bullet tip without a guiding eye and one with a plastic knob.
The_York_Dispatch_Thu__Sep_16__1948_rs.jpg

Last edited:
I've finally realized the attraction to the GEMs, it took me THREE(3) tries or different models, but found one I could actually use on a daily basis if need be.......TADA, it's a Micromatic Bullet Tip, with the dot on the face.

Not the absolute closest shave I've had, but acceptable, and it didn't tear me up, or leave my face excessively irritated.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've finally realized the attraction to the GEMs, it took me THREE(3) tries or different models, but found one I could actually use on a daily basis if need be.......TADA, it's a Micromatic Bullet Tip, with the dot on the face.

Not the absolute closest shave I've had, but acceptable, and it didn't tear me up, or leave my face excessively irritated.
Depending on what blade you use carbon or Stainless it can be a little harsh on the first few shaves with the Gem SS PTFE blade(it's one of the sharpest blades made IMO.), the nice part with the Micromatic Flying wing, MMBT or Guiding eye..... razor is it will work excellent on the first few shaves to smooth out the Gem Coated blade because it's not as aggressive and efficient as other models. After a few shaves if you desire to use the more aggressive Gems you can but the blade in the other models and the shaves are more enjoyable I have found. Once you have mastered the Gem SS PTFE blade characteristics the others are not much of a match IMO. Gem Carbon blades some claim are smoother but others have had some bad experiences with a tugging feeling, so I just will not use carbon blades!

Top Bottom