What's new

Micromatic OC and it's rise to stardom...with the help of an old friend.

This morning was shave number 5 on the same blade in the MMOC. I turned the blade over between each shave, so today I was back to the "stainless" side.

Lathered up with Dr. Jon's Hydra and started the shave. Still smooth. No tugging. Nice two-pass plus touch-up DFS. Still not having any irritation issues. No weepers at all in the 5 shaves.

This MMOC is a seriously great shaving machine!

Just curious...what angle are you holding the razor? I just picked up a MMBT wit the guiding eye.:) I may try it flat against the face as some literature suggests.

Very shallow. Almost flat against the face.

Thanks.:)

I shaved my head yesterday evening with my MMCP and got THE best shave up there.:) I've found that when shaving my head, front to back, I'm using an ATG stroke. The ATG stroke with the MMCP is the pass that really pays off. Perhaps it's because the razor feasily and naturaly alls into the correct angle?

XTG angle is also very good.

Lately, I've found that doing a WTG pass is where I have to pay a bit more attention to finding the correct angle. Actually, I need to let the razor just find the angle when doing a WTG pass. I sometimes overthink the process.:)

6th shave this morning. More of the same.

Not sure how long the blade will last, nor how I can tell when it needs to be replaced. Any hints? Does it start to tug? Do you start to get irritation or weepers? What are the signs that a blade is dull and needs to be replaced? Any thoughts are welcome.

I feel confident that I can get at least one more shave, which would be seven. I'm pretty happy with that.

Not sure how long the blade will last, nor how I can tell when it needs to be replaced. Any hints? Does it start to tug? Do you start to get irritation or weepers? What are the signs that a blade is dull and needs to be replaced? Any thoughts are welcome.

For me, the blade will no longer be efficient, it will start to leave stubble behind. I have to go over areas too many times.

For my head shave, the blade will get to point where it will get to BBS no matter how many times I go over an area.

I haven't tested face only shaves but I'm probably in the neighborhood of 15+ easy. I only get 4 face and head shaves daily. Head shaves = blade destroyer!

@imatabor

The El Jefe did not dethrone the MMOC! The early Valet razors match the efficiency of the MMOC, but are not quite as smooth. That can probably change with practice.

Having said that, my face and head shave today with the El Jefe/Proline was great. If it were open comb, it would give the MMOC a run for its money.

I was able to hit that sweet shallow angle that I hit with the MMOC and was able to get "Jiggy with it!"

The only thing standing in the way of the El Jefe being a true competitor for the MMOC is the safety bar. If it were OC, it would be a different story.

With the Asylum RX having a safety, I'm afraid it will share the same fate as the El Jefe!

In light of the El Jefe's performance today and it's comparison to the Asylum RX, I may pick up a RX!

All hail King MMOC!

i am thinking of buying either a gem mmoc razor off ebay and having it sent for coating to delta echo razors since i dont like how most gem razors look old and dingy....or just taking the plunge and getting the Gem razor from Above the tie...undecided which route to try.... the ATT route is double the price but nicer looking and modern but the Delta Echo does some nice work.

i am thinking of buying either a gem mmoc razor off ebay and having it sent for coating to delta echo razors since i dont like how most gem razors look old and dingy....or just taking the plunge and getting the Gem razor from Above the tie...undecided which route to try.... the ATT route is double the price but nicer looking and modern but the Delta Echo does some nice work.

I've found several MMOC's with nice plating pretty cheap!

I'm not sure how the modern GEM razors compare to the MMOC, but the MMOC is one if the best!

I've had the MMOC for a couple of years and used it off and on. I didn't have a problem getting a BBS shave from it, but it wasn't the smoothest shave.

About a week ago, I received a Valet VC4. The first shave was not exactly the smoothest, but I was able to BBS my face with it. Started my head shave and the experience was the same. After finishing my WTG pass, and after a few strokes ATG, I decided to go extremely shallow, as shallow as the razor would allow and my eyes were opened wide. The blade feel was gone and the razor sliced through my stubble like butter.

The second shave on the FHS-10 went great. I was able to BBS my face with ease. However, the blade was struggling on my head shave, not good on longevity.

I picked up the MMOC and put in a blade that already had two face and two head shaves on it from the GEM G Bar, or is it simply GEM Bar. I went with an extremely shallow angle on it and the MMOC went from the monster I thought it was to a smooth, mild feeling efficient razor, probably the best razor I own now.

In the past, I would lower the handle until I "felt" the blade slightly. With the shallow angle that I use now, I only feel stubble being cut, I don't feel the blade.

Today I used the Valet on my face and the MMOC on my head and had the smoothest most efficient head shave ever, stubble that put up a fight with other razors was no match fo the MMOC.

The MMOC and G bar were equally efficient with the G bar being smooth. That changed yesterday with with the slight angle adjustment. I shave with both of them fast with the MMOC way more efficient.

The MMOC blows away all the razors I have, the Postwar Tech, '48 Aristocrat, Schick razors, The General, El Jefe, Hawk, GEM Push Button, and G bar and even the newly acquired Valet. The FHS-10 is a nice blade but I think the GEM blade is the better blade.

I don't have an Asylum RX, but one member compared it to the MMOC, so there maybe hope for the AC system after all.

Tomorrow I will use the MMOC for my face and head with a fresh GEM blade.

View attachment 799067 View attachment 799068 View attachment 799069

Great thread. Thanks for sharing. I have 5 GEMs and I have yet to use any of them. You've got me seriously motivated now. Thanks!

... but the MMOC is one if the best!

I agree. We've talked before about the rigid blade, and the way the TTO mechanism locks the head down on the blade, which is already quite rigid, just makes it a fearsome cutting machine. Of course with the right angle, it mows down the hair and leaves the face feeling fresh. I have a couple spots on my face where I can lose the angle if not really careful, and I have felt the sting of the MMOC, but I have also hit that sweet spot where it just cruises through the thickest stubble like a hot knife through butter. I haven't found any chatter in this blade and I've had it in various angles. It is solid from start to finish. It instantly became one of my favorite and best razors.

I fought through the pain and agony of not using the ATT SE1 today and picked up the MMOC. I've been using MMOC exclusively for my head shaves but haven't shaved my head in over a week, was shaving it daily.

I had no doubt it would be an outstanding shave and it was! I still missed using the SE1 though. Both outstanding razors and very close in performance.

Back to shaving my head with the MMOC/GEM SS PTFE, it's simply an outstanding razor! Used the SE1/Schick Proline for my face shave, best of both worlds...

Shaved with the MMOC / GEM SS PTFE this evening—my face is smooth! The only DE I look forward to using anymore is the Wunderbar (to be fair, I should break out my long-neglected NEW LC for a refresher).

MMOC day, shave 2 on the blade I think, It felt like it, the blade was in the MMCP. About 31 hours growth.

Smooth and super efficient is all I can say. I haven't used it in a while, but felt right at home with it.

My MMOC and PTFE blades are inbound. Hoping it works great. I see you rediscovered the single edge as I have rediscovered the Fatip. Angles are everything it seems, shallow angles. I thought the Fatip an uncultured beast but with better skill gained thru years of shaving I find it 'efficient' now.

If the MMOC is even more efficient that will be gold.

My MMOC and PTFE blades are inbound. Hoping it works great. I see you rediscovered the single edge as I have rediscovered the Fatip. Angles are everything it seems, shallow angles. I thought the Fatip an uncultured beast but with better skill gained thru years of shaving I find it 'efficient' now.

@Esox has disowned his Fatip in favor of the MMOC!

I use the MMOC from time to time, I'm stuck on the ATT SE1(AC razor) with a Schick Proline.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

The Fatip OC head is the most efficient DE I've used. I started using my Grande directly ATG at shave #7 with a Feather blade on page 5 of my journal. I shaved like that with my Grande as my only razor for months testing over 20 different blades. Two blades gave me the shave I like, Polsilver and Gillette Yellow.

Using a shallow angle, the red line in the below picture, its a single buffing pass at up to 58 hours growth and one small clean up in the opposite direction over the swirls on my neck for a BBS lasting 10-12 hours. Notice the angle of skin to blade edge.

IMG_2182 (2).JPG

The MMOC with PTFE blades used at the razors design angle is very much the same angle of skin to blade, but because the blade is thicker and more rigid, its more effective while being more gentle on my skin.

The MMOC is twice as efficient as my Grande. The same shave at ~48 hours growth, is done with less buffing and longer strokes for a BBS lasting, typically, 14 hours, but as long as almost 19.

It is a fantastic razor and the PTFE blade is a great blade, but its not an easy razor to learn. I was less than impressed my first shave, but once I learned to use it, nothing else I own comes close to it.

Top Bottom