What's new

Micromatic OC and it's rise to stardom...with the help of an old friend.

Another fantastic BBS head shave from the MMOC today. The blade now has 2 face and 3 head shaves, I used another razor for my face. I'm finding it hard to reach for another razor.

OK, so I'm adding to this thread because rabidus was kind enough to send me a few GEM blades in the mail to try out in a MMOC that I found last Friday antiquing with my wife.

By way of background, in the past I had owned and tried out a few SE razors, and never liked any of them. As I recall, I had a bullet tip micromatic, a Featherweight, and a 1912 (?). I only tried a few times. I felt like the blades were really dull. I felt like there was a lot of tugging, and I always got irritation. So I sold all the SEs I had acquired and went back to DEs, deciding that the people who liked SEs were all crazy.

Lately, I've been perusing this forum, mostly because ATT, Blackland, and Rochnel were all releasing new SE razors. I was surprised to find rabidus posting here, as I have always thought of him as a post-war Tech, Aristocrat, and SC NEW guy. He's never steered me wrong before, so I figured if he was enjoying SE razors, maybe I was doing something wrong.

So when I found a shiny MMOC at an antique store last Friday I decided to take the plunge again. The blades rabidus kindly sent me arrived in yesterday's mail, so I loaded up my new MMOC and gave it a try this morning. Right before I started I was not confident at all, but I followed rabidus's advice and used the shallowest possible angle and a light touch. I had heard in the past that the MMOC was unforgiving, aggressive, and picky.

Color me surprised after the first stroke. Smooth and comfortable. The blade seemed really sharp, too; not at all like my distant recollection of a stubble-yanking, dull thing. I gained confidence as I went along. After the first pass I had decent reduction (not as good as with the vintage Merkur slant I used for the past 7 days, but pretty good). After an XTG pass (pass 2), though, my face was very smooth. No irritation whatsoever. I was astounded. This was not at all what I remembered from the first time I tried SE shaving!

I only had two problems. 1) The razor's chrome is so shiny that the reflection off my bathroom's lights practically blinded me. 2) I had absolute NO IDEA how to shave the mustache area. None. I have never done XTG passes in this area with DEs. I always do two essentially WTG passes with slight variation in angle. I couldn't even BEGIN to shave there. I used an Atra.

Overall, though, an amazing success. Very close shave, no irritation, no tugging. I am impressed. If I can learn how to shave the mustache area this razor could get into my regular rotation.

Thanks again, @rabidus, both for the blades and for helping to get me to try out SE shaving again.

Color me surprised after the first stroke. Smooth and comfortable. The blade seemed really sharp, too; not at all like my distant recollection of a stubble-yanking, dull thing. I gained confidence as I went along. After the first pass I had decent reduction (not as good as with the vintage Merkur slant I used for the past 7 days, but pretty good). After an XTG pass (pass 2), though, my face was very smooth. No irritation whatsoever. I was astounded. This was not at all what I remembered from the first time I tried SE shaving!

This has been my experience, too.:) The first WTG pass reduction is good, but the second XTG pass REALLY brings things home!

I've fond that the Micromatic Open Comb delivers a great shave in just two passes.:) For the most part (more or less), an equivalent shave is had by the Micromatic Clog Pruf with three passes. YMMV.:)

I only had two problems. 1) The razor's chrome is so shiny that the reflection off my bathroom's lights practically blinded me. 2) I had absolute NO IDEA how to shave the mustache area. None. I have never done XTG passes in this area with DEs.

Shiny chrome? Sounds like it's a like-new or NOS razor! Nice problem to have.:)

Looking at Gem literature (online and posted by other B&B members), The American Safety Razor Corporation acknowledged the upper lip/moustache maneuverability issue. Their instructions recommended an XTG pass. I use this approach and it works exceedingly well.

OK, so I'm adding to this thread because rabidus was kind enough to send me a few GEM blades in the mail to try out in a MMOC that I found last Friday antiquing with my wife.

By way of background, in the past I had owned and tried out a few SE razors, and never liked any of them. As I recall, I had a bullet tip micromatic, a Featherweight, and a 1912 (?). I only tried a few times. I felt like the blades were really dull. I felt like there was a lot of tugging, and I always got irritation. So I sold all the SEs I had acquired and went back to DEs, deciding that the people who liked SEs were all crazy.

Lately, I've been perusing this forum, mostly because ATT, Blackland, and Rochnel were all releasing new SE razors. I was surprised to find rabidus posting here, as I have always thought of him as a post-war Tech, Aristocrat, and SC NEW guy. He's never steered me wrong before, so I figured if he was enjoying SE razors, maybe I was doing something wrong.

So when I found a shiny MMOC at an antique store last Friday I decided to take the plunge again. The blades rabidus kindly sent me arrived in yesterday's mail, so I loaded up my new MMOC and gave it a try this morning. Right before I started I was not confident at all, but I followed rabidus's advice and used the shallowest possible angle and a light touch. I had heard in the past that the MMOC was unforgiving, aggressive, and picky.

I only had two problems. 1) The razor's chrome is so shiny that the reflection off my bathroom's lights practically blinded me. 2) I had absolute NO IDEA how to shave the mustache area. None. I have never done XTG passes in this area with DEs. I always do two essentially WTG passes with slight variation in angle. I couldn't even BEGIN to shave there. I used an Atra.

Overall, though, an amazing success. Very close shave, no irritation, no tugging. I am impressed. If I can learn how to shave the mustache area this razor could get into my regular rotation.

Thanks again, @rabidus, both for the blades and for helping to get me to try out SE shaving again.

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words!

I shave above my lip WTG and buff ATG until it's nice and smooth. You want to keep the razor as flat as possible with a light touch. I draw my lip down a little, not all the way and come down at the angle my nose allows. Basically, the blade edge is lined up with the line of my lip. Then I lightly remove stubble by stubble ATG until it's smooth.

Once you are fully comfortable with it, you will find the perfect angle and touch. You may be able to adjust the angle slightly, when you hit that sweet spot, you will know.

If you have any kind of bump, the MMOC will shear it clean off. The Clog Pruf is more forgiving in this area and close in efficiency. There's always a trade off in efficiency with more forgiving razors. The Clog Pruf is basically the same razor with the comb closed off half from the bottom. I look at it as a MM half OC.

All the GEM razors I have, from the 1912 to the G bar, work great shallow with slightly different levels of aggression. All of them are great because the GEM SS PTFE blade is awesome.

Glad the MMOC worked out this time around!

I shave above my lip WTG and buff ATG until it's nice and smooth. You want to keep the razor as flat as possible with a light touch. I draw my lip down a little, not all the way and come down at the angle my nose allows. Basically, the blade edge is lined up with the line of my lip. Then I lightly remove stubble by stubble ATG until it's smooth.
This is close to what I do, as well.:) It wasn't until I used the Gem 1912 did I realize this was possible without suffering dire consequences (as evidenced with some DE razors).

Shaved with the MMOC again today. Flipped the blade to the "GEM" side, lathered up, and began to shave.

Once again, smooth sailing. No nicks, no weepers, no irritation, no hits, no runs, no errors. Two passes plus touch-up to DFS! This is an amazing razor. I did better in the mustache area, too. With practice I think I'll get this down.

I don't understand why people say this razor is harsh or aggressive, or a face-chewer, or whatever. It gave me no troubles whatsoever. Just a smooth, smooth shave.

I don't understand why people say this razor is harsh or aggressive, or a face-chewer, or whatever. It gave me no troubles whatsoever. Just a smooth, smooth shave.

If you try to feel the blade(steep angle) with too much pressure, it can be bad news bears... A lot of people have made statements saying they like/need to feel the blade.

With these SE's, keeping the blade shallow, getting them to slide and slice works perfect for me. I don't feel the blade, I only feel the stubble being sliced off.

Build your technique around the razor! Sometimes what you're use to can hold a razor back.

Just curious as I continue my Gem razor adventure...will flipping the blade from the side marked "Stainless Steel" to the side marked "GEM" give you an extra shave or two?

A blade edge will typically bend before it dulls, if you flip the blade over daily, it's like face stropping. If you strop the blade, then flipping the blade probably wouldn't do anything.

With a DE blade, I can get 60+ BBS face shaves from a blade flipping the blade daily. I only get about half that if I don't flip the blade.

I haven't really tested the longevity of the GEM blade, but since it works with the DE blade, I continue to do it.

I typically do two passes:
1 pass - With the grain, for reduction
1 pass - Against the grain, for closeness

This on the face in general and also under the nose

This morning was my third straight MMOC daily shave. First off, I'm loving it. Secondly, I wanted to make sure that using it daily isn't going to be harsh. I mean, this razor has a reputation!

Well, happy to report that so far, the reputation couldn't be further from the reality, at least for me. Once again, smooth sailing. Got a very close shave with two passes plus touch-up. So far, no weepers at all. No irritation.

In the evenings I always check my face for something like ingrowns but not really ingrown hairs; areas where I shaved too closely and there is a tiny white covering over the end of a hair. I pluck the ends with tweezers. After DE shaves, I generally have 4 or 5 of these. Interestingly, even though the MMOC appears to shave more closely than any of my DE razors (with the exception of my vintage Merkur slant), it seems to leave way fewer, if any at all.

My conclusion so far is this: The MMOC shaves me closer than my DE razors without any more work and leaves my face actually LESS irritated and overshaved!!

This razor is truly one of the best razors I have ever used. I can't believe I hated SEs for so long just because I didn't know how to use them properly when I first tried them!

This morning was my third straight MMOC daily shave. First off, I'm loving it. Secondly, I wanted to make sure that using it daily isn't going to be harsh. I mean, this razor has a reputation!

Well, happy to report that so far, the reputation couldn't be further from the reality, at least for me. Once again, smooth sailing. Got a very close shave with two passes plus touch-up. So far, no weepers at all. No irritation.

In the evenings I always check my face for something like ingrowns but not really ingrown hairs; areas where I shaved too closely and there is a tiny white covering over the end of a hair. I pluck the ends with tweezers. After DE shaves, I generally have 4 or 5 of these. Interestingly, even though the MMOC appears to shave more closely than any of my DE razors (with the exception of my vintage Merkur slant), it seems to leave way fewer, if any at all.

My conclusion so far is this: The MMOC shaves me closer than my DE razors without any more work and leaves my face actually LESS irritated and overshaved!!

This razor is truly one of the best razors I have ever used. I can't believe I hated SEs for so long just because I didn't know how to use them properly when I first tried them!

Another satisfied customer!

When you're tired of the MMOC, I'd like to loan you my aluminium General, I'll throw some blades in there, and get your thoughts on it compared to the MMOC. If you're interested!

Another satisfied customer!

When you're tired of the MMOC, I'd like to loan you my aluminium General, I'll throw some blades in there, and get your thoughts on it compared to the MMOC. If you're interested!
Happily.
Might be a while before I get tired of this thing, though. ;-)

This morning was shave number 5 on the same blade in the MMOC. I turned the blade over between each shave, so today I was back to the "stainless" side.

Lathered up with Dr. Jon's Hydra and started the shave. Still smooth. No tugging. Nice two-pass plus touch-up DFS. Still not having any irritation issues. No weepers at all in the 5 shaves.

This MMOC is a seriously great shaving machine!

Top Bottom