What's new

Micromatic OC and it's rise to stardom...with the help of an old friend.

I've had the MMOC for a couple of years and used it off and on. I didn't have a problem getting a BBS shave from it, but it wasn't the smoothest shave.

About a week ago, I received a Valet VC4. The first shave was not exactly the smoothest, but I was able to BBS my face with it. Started my head shave and the experience was the same. After finishing my WTG pass, and after a few strokes ATG, I decided to go extremely shallow, as shallow as the razor would allow and my eyes were opened wide. The blade feel was gone and the razor sliced through my stubble like butter.

The second shave on the FHS-10 went great. I was able to BBS my face with ease. However, the blade was struggling on my head shave, not good on longevity.

I picked up the MMOC and put in a blade that already had two face and two head shaves on it from the GEM G Bar, or is it simply GEM Bar. I went with an extremely shallow angle on it and the MMOC went from the monster I thought it was to a smooth, mild feeling efficient razor, probably the best razor I own now.

In the past, I would lower the handle until I "felt" the blade slightly. With the shallow angle that I use now, I only feel stubble being cut, I don't feel the blade.

Today I used the Valet on my face and the MMOC on my head and had the smoothest most efficient head shave ever, stubble that put up a fight with other razors was no match fo the MMOC.

The MMOC and G bar were equally efficient with the G bar being smooth. That changed yesterday with with the slight angle adjustment. I shave with both of them fast with the MMOC way more efficient.

The MMOC blows away all the razors I have, the Postwar Tech, '48 Aristocrat, Schick razors, The General, El Jefe, Hawk, GEM Push Button, and G bar and even the newly acquired Valet. The FHS-10 is a nice blade but I think the GEM blade is the better blade.

I don't have an Asylum RX, but one member compared it to the MMOC, so there maybe hope for the AC system after all.

Tomorrow I will use the MMOC for my face and head with a fresh GEM blade.

IMAG0218_1.jpg
IMAG0220_1.jpg
IMAG0216_1.jpg

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with the MMOC. It was always way too harsh for me. One day recently I decided to try it again, and I made sure to use the shallowest angle possible. I was rewarded with excellent shaves.

I'll have to fire the MMOC back up. Everything has been irritating me lately, so hopefully I can get my excellent shaves bask.

I'll have to get mine back out again, and try to go really shallow. I find mine to be usable, but not one of my favorites.

Very interesting report, @rabidus . I used a MMOC for a few shaves and it was just OK. You've inspired me to think I just need to go back to develop my technique. I do agree that the Gem blades are terrific.

I believe I have a complete collection of AutoStrop razors models, from A1 to VC4. My impression is that they were great alternatives to the man who was previously shaving with a straight razor. But they can't compete with modern razors -- or even those produced after 1946 -- for a close and comfortable shave. It's fun to use a retro razor like that, and I certainly enjoy mine. But I don't use them to get the best possible shave I can get.

Very interesting report, @rabidus . I used a MMOC for a few shaves and it was just OK. You've inspired me to think I just need to go back to develop my technique. I do agree that the Gem blades are terrific.

It was you reply from my G bar thread that helped me to get the angle right!

While shaving, I visualized the blade in the razor, being a small section of a str8 and put the blade at an angle recommended for str8 razors, maybe even a little higher. Never shaved with a str8, by the way. And that's all she wrote. During my first shave with the Valet, your str8 razor comment came to mind and I made the adjustment.

Both the Valet and MMOC made it easy to maintain the that angle and I was able to shave just as fast as I shave with the G bar with no issues.

I need to go back and spend more time with those razors. Just too many that I'm not getting to all of them with the attention they deserve.

I need to go back and spend more time with those razors. Just too many that I'm not getting to all of them with the attention they deserve.

Laying the VC4 flat and sliding the razor, the blade is at a nice slicing angle that doesn't tear my skin up. I don't feel the blade. Now I need a Valet that takes despined GEM blades.

The VB1, VC1 and the pre-Valet Auto-Strops will all take the modified Gem blade. I think you'd like a VC1, which fortunately is also the most common of the early Auto-Strops.

My VB1 is beautifully crafted and built like a tank, but it is one of the most aggressive razors in my entire collection. The VC1 is far from mild, but it is much more forgiving.

Don't buy any early Auto-Strop if the blade stops cannot be clearly seen in the pictures. They are thin and extremely fragile. The blade locks in place under the blade stop and if one or both are broken the razor is not safe to use.

proxy.php

VC1 on the left, VB1 on the right. Note the difference in blade gaps.

--Bob

The VB1, VC1 and the pre-Valet Auto-Strops will all take the modified Gem blade. I think you'd like a VC1, which fortunately is also the most common of the early Auto-Strops.

My VB1 is beautifully crafted and built like a tank, but it is one of the most aggressive razors in my entire collection. The VC1 is far from mild, but it is much more forgiving.

Don't buy any early Auto-Strop if the blade stops cannot be clearly seen in the pictures. They are thin and extremely fragile. The blade locks in place under the blade stop and if one or both are broken the razor is not safe to use.

proxy.php

VC1 on the left, VB1 on the right. Note the difference in blade gaps.

--Bob

Thanks, that's very helpful! I'm in complete amazement with these Valet razors, their build quality and performance.

Thank you to @rabidus for his original post: I got my first Gem MMOC a couple of weeks ago and also found that it repays a shallower angle than DE OCs. It is a wonderful shave when you find the sweet spot. But I was particularly interested in the comments on the Valet: I have a VC2 and just haven't been able to get on with it. Shaves have been rough and inefficient, and the last time I used it I had to go over my face with a Schick injector afterwards as the results were so poor. You've encouraged me to get it out of the back of the drawer, load another FHS-10, and give it another chance.

I had thought using the shallowest angle possible was exactly what the old user manuals recommended doing.
It's pretty much the only way I used any SE I have/had. It's probably why I never quite understood why people had trouble shaving with some of them.

To be quite honest, though, I find a shallow angle makes almost any razor (SE, DE, shavette, full razor) smooth and reasonably efficient, if the head geometry permits it. It also reduces chatter in heads that don't clamp the blade well enough to prevent blade flex/chatter (though I still prefer those that immobilise the blade as much as possible). The downside is that it can also easily slice off bits off skin imperfections, so going steeper there (or even as steep as it gets) helps me a lot and it's similar for some difficult to navigate spots (too curvy) or places where my hair lie flat on my skin and the bar/comb to lifts it for an easier cut.

I guess my mileage varied. :)

Thank you to @rabidus for his original post: I got my first Gem MMOC a couple of weeks ago and also found that it repays a shallower angle than DE OCs. It is a wonderful shave when you find the sweet spot. But I was particularly interested in the comments on the Valet: I have a VC2 and just haven't been able to get on with it. Shaves have been rough and inefficient, and the last time I used it I had to go over my face with a Schick injector afterwards as the results were so poor. You've encouraged me to get it out of the back of the drawer, load another FHS-10, and give it another chance.

You're welcome!

The VC4 produced a nice BBS face shave. With and razor, I have to go over areas multiple times to achieve a BBS shave, my razor doesn't stop until I get it.

I focused on keeping the flat part of the razor pretty flat on my face. Many people want to feel the blade, that has never been a desire of mine, which is is why I use and like mild razors. If you look at top of the hing for the door, how far it sits off the door, I believe that creates the intended angle when you lay the razor flat on your face.

I had thought using the shallowest angle possible was exactly what the old user manuals recommended doing.
It's pretty much the only way I used any SE I have/had. It's probably why I never quite understood why people had trouble shaving with some of them.

To be quite honest, though, I find a shallow angle makes almost any razor (SE, DE, shavette, full razor) smooth and reasonably efficient, if the head geometry permits it. It also reduces chatter in heads that don't clamp the blade well enough to prevent blade flex/chatter (though I still prefer those that immobilise the blade as much as possible). The downside is that it can also easily slice off bits off skin imperfections, so going steeper there (or even as steep as it gets) helps me a lot and it's similar for some difficult to navigate spots (too curvy) or places where my hair lie flat on my skin and the bar/comb to lifts it for an easier cut.

I guess my mileage varied. :)

My SE razors didn't come with instructions. I thought I was shallow enough and had to feel the blade, now I'm even shallower and I don't feel the blade, but I can feel the razor cutting.

Many shavers like to feel the blade, I don't think that was intended for this these razors.

Face and head shave with a fresh blade. BBS all the way.

The shave was nice and smooth and efficient. Too efficient, I knew these blades were pretty sharp, but the Gem SS blade is one really sharp blade. I'm going to have to try the glass strop if I want to use this razor with a fresh blade. Drew some blood today, the fresh blade definitely increased efficiency though. Didn't feel the blade, kept it shallow, was nice and smooth. I played it safe also, exercised caution with the fresh blade. Got a couple of weepers that stopped on their own, no nicks.

May have to go with the G bar on the first shave and then the MMOC for 2, 3, and 4 or more.

I'll have to try the carbon blades or paint scrapers now... I think I read that the carbon blades were not as sharp as the SS blades.

These GEM's are really making me forget about DE razors. I don't have a desire to use one anymore.

Shave 2 on the blade and it was simply outstanding following the instructions from the manufacturer. I get BBS results everyday, but this is on a different level!

Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE Razor_intructions2_1.jpg

Read through all the comments and just wanted to thank all.

I'm new to SE shaving and started with a MMCP. I recently acquired a MMOC. LOVE using my MMCP! But understand the MMOC can be a bit more aggressive and requires proper technique.

So, again, thanks.:)

Received this MMOC today for $8 shipped. No plating or bumps. I was going to polish it up, but I'm going to just clean it and leave it as is.

IMAG0278.jpg

Top Bottom