What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, August 8th 2022. I have been experimenting with shimming the spline of the modern Gem blade for years with my Everready streamline razor and it mellows out that razor nicely. So this morning I used a spent regular flattened spine that I use in my ER Streamline and installed it in the MMOC button less model to mock the thicker splined blades of the 1930 era and results where it also tilts the blade enough to smooth it out a little. I would suggest trying it at least and used it with a new Gem PTFE blade also.
I'm not the only person to try this and only works best in the Micromatic 3 different models (because of the way those razors clamp the blade) with a flattened spline from a spent blade. I have not tried it in the MMCP or MMFW yet and I not sure it would benefit the MMFW(AKA, Bullet tip or MMBT) because it is the milder razor of the 3 Micromatics.

Razor : Micromatic open comb button-less- Mfg 1930-32, excellent mid>upper mid range depending on experience, well built and designed for that time era, it was the first mass produced TTO razor world wide. The button-less model was before the newer Micromatic open comb models 1932-41 that held the double edge blades and used button shims to mock the spine blades. I used a flattened spent spline in MMOC to mellow it out and performed well. Hard to believe just tilting the blade a few degrees would make a difference but it sure felt like it and performed like a nice smooth mid range razor.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) Very sharp with excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier- nice scented soap with excellent lather qualities. Has a slight lemon look and scent works for me.
Brush : Yaqi Goblin 24mm synthetic- excellent lather
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer aftershave + a dollop of Neutrogena hydro boost moisturizing lotion(scentless)testing).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my MMOC buttonless with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD August 8.9 2022.jpg

Have a some great shaves.

Last edited:
MMMonday, August 8th 2022. I have been experimenting with shimming the spline of the modern Gem blade for years with my Everready streamline razor and it mellows out that razor nicely. So this morning I used a spent regular flattened spine that I use in my ER Streamline and installed it in the MMOC button less model to mock the thicker splined blades of the 1930 era and results where it also tilts the blade enough to smooth it out a little. I would suggest trying it at least and used it with a new Gem PTFE blade also.
I'm not the only person to try this and only works best in the Micromatic 3 different models (because of the way those razors clamp the blade) with a flattened spline from a spent blade. I have not tried it in the MMCP or MMFW yet and I not sure it would benefit the MMFW(AKA, Bullet tip or MMBT) because it is the milder razor of the 3 Micromatics.

Razor : Micromatic open comb button-less- Mfg 1930-32, excellent mid>upper mid range depending on experience, well built and designed for that time era, it was the first mass produced TTO razor world wide. The button-less model was before the newer Micromatic open comb models 1932-41 that held the double edge blades and used button shims to mock the spine blades. I used a flattened spent spline in MMOC to mellow it out and performed well. Hard to believe just tilting the blade a few degrees would make a difference but it sure felt like it and performed like a nice smooth mid range razor.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) Very sharp with excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier- nice scented soap with excellent lather qualities. Has a slight lemon look and scent works for me.
Brush : Yaqi Goblin 24mm synthetic- excellent lather
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer aftershave + a dollop of Neutrogena hydro boost moisturizing lotion(scentless)testing).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my MMOC buttonless with a coated Gem blade.
View attachment 1501384
Have a some great shaves.
Ron, thanks! I had to read this a couple of times before I realized what you meant by buttons, that is, the two raised dots on the bottom plate of the MMOC.
Does this shimming also work for the Gem 1912 series?

Ron R

Ron, thanks! I had to read this a couple of times before I realized what you meant by buttons, that is, the two raised dots on the bottom plate of the MMOC.
Not with this shim on most models because it is to thick and the lid will not close properly and that is not good. I have one model where it works, I noticed that the indicator spring on the top cap is almost almost maximum forward with the new Gem blades and for some reason it will work on that 1912 model. Maybe take a ballpeen hammer and flatten the shim more and it could work on them.
Notice my 1912 model razor on the left with a blade in the razor the indicator is almost touching the front of the stop slot on top cap it will take this spine shim. (Right side razor is a Ever-Ready streamline 2nd generation 1950's model) old archived photo I use years ago to explain blade spring tension indicator. (A old archived photo from years ago, they help me explain things better.)
Comparing Gem 1912 to a Everready streamline razor blade to safety bar..jpg

I forgot a lot of folks who are new to ASR razors might not know about the difference in these to 2 models, one on the right is the first Micromatic razor 1930-32( button-less) the other MMOC 1932-41 is has shim buttons to be used with the new double edge blade Gem tried and was not popular or it would still be in production!(old archived photo from years ago.)
comparing two MMOC (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Notice my 1912 model razor on the left with a blade in the razor the indicator is almost touching the front of the stop slot on top cap it will take this spine shim. (Right side razor is a Ever-Ready streamline 2nd generation 1950's model) old archived photo I use years ago to explain blade spring tension indicator. (A old archived photo from years ago, they help me explain things better.)

Ron gave me something new to look at, the 1912 spring position funtioning as a tension indicator. So I loaded a short list of old used blades into today's Gem Junior:
1 GEM DAMASKEENE | NEW PROCESS 1915
2 STAR SUPER EDGE
3 GEM BLADE (same patent #s as Star Super Edge)
4 Metro
5 SPEEDWAY
AD14602E-4800-4E8C-B7E0-1F7867E77B7A.jpeg

ACB99349-4EA9-406B-B11D-30685F6B0A40.jpeg

They all pushed more tension into the spring (farther back). So I pulled out the General digital caliper and decided that the older blades are about .3-.4mm wider (spine to edge) than a Gem PTFE. How much of that is thicker spine material and how much might be from slightly wider blade steel, I can't say.

I'm not sure any of that affected today's very close and extremely comfortable shave.
Pass 1 - Cattaraugus Cutlery 'Yellow Boy' SR
Pass 2 and clean up - Gem 'The Parade' baton handled Gem Junior 1912
Gem PTFE (1) - corked and forearm stropped
Speick stick and an Ever-Ready brush with a vintage knot - maybe mixed?
Captain's Choice Bay Rum
386CAC49-4323-44F4-B78E-7C929AF86411.jpeg

Ron R

Ron gave me something new to look at, the 1912 spring position funtioning as a tension indicator. So I loaded a short list of old used blades into today's Gem Junior:
1 GEM DAMASKEENE | NEW PROCESS 1915
2 STAR SUPER EDGE
3 GEM BLADE (same patent #s as Star Super Edge)
4 Metro
5 SPEEDWAY
View attachment 1501660
View attachment 1501661

They all pushed more tension into the spring (farther back). So I pulled out the General digital caliper and decided that the older blades are about .3-.4mm wider (spine to edge) than a Gem PTFE. How much of that is thicker spine material and how much might be from slightly wider blade steel, I can't say.

I'm not sure any of that affected today's very close and extremely comfortable shave.
Pass 1 - Cattaraugus Cutlery 'Yellow Boy' SR
Pass 2 and clean up - Gem 'The Parade' baton handled Gem Junior 1912
Gem PTFE (1) - corked and forearm stropped
Speick stick and an Ever-Ready brush with a vintage knot - maybe mixed?
Captain's Choice Bay Rum
View attachment 1501662
Interesting view photo you took of the width of the new Gem blade to the old Gem blade I can see a slight difference in width with even these old tired eyes. Nice to have some of the old Gem blades around to do comparisons. I never measured width on new to old blades, good find on that one @Tanuki . So we all have to be aware of the indicator on top plate and it will tell you if you need a shim or not if nib is all the way forward in the top cap slot IMO.
90%+ of the time you do not need a shim but sometimes with a accumulation of manufacturing tolerances it can be border line blade tensioned properly with the new blades in older razors. Oh what we all can learn as we bump along the ASR brand of products.

Oh what we all can learn as we bump along the ASR brand of products.

You are a great ASR resource to learn from, Ron.

At the moment, your Streamline comb view made me realize that at least that model of the Streamline has a closed comb like my baton handle Treet, rather than the common 1912 comb with the lather openings between the teeth.

Now I need to go look at more Streamline photos. I still have not bumped into one on my vintage rounds.

Ron R

You are a great ASR resource to learn from, Ron.

At the moment, your Streamline comb view made me realize that at least that model of the Streamline has a closed comb like my baton handle Treet, rather than the common 1912 comb with the lather openings between the teeth.

Now I need to go look at more Streamline photos. I still have not bumped into one on my vintage rounds.
Just from my limited research on the Ever-ready Streamline there is are 2 Generations, 1st Gen made in the 1930's & 2nd Gen from the 1950's ish. The 2nd Gen has the closed comb effect that allows lather to escape threw the closed comb and 1st Gen does not( similar to the Treet baton handle razor). The second Gen is suppose to be a little smoother a shave but I still shim it to smooth it out for the last 2 years not knowing the angle change(did not concern me because it worked I knew & felt).
If a person has to have a Ever-ready Streamline I had to go to UK _ bay to find one because the bulk where produced in that country and bought a user grade one there.
Did the math on the full aluminum thickness shim added and it will change the blade tilt by about 4-4.5 degrees a little more than I thought of just a few degrees originally.
That is significant and is welcomed for a smoother shave possibly for some folks.

Ron R

@LJBraaten, Found another 1912 razor I used this morning that will take the full spline Aluminum shim quite easily. It's a British Ever-Ready 1912 and it worked wonderfully in that model with the full aluminum shim. I will mention that it changes the blade tilt angle about 4-4.5 degrees doing the math and it was more angle than I originally thought of just a few degrees. That change does smooth out the shave nicely if that is what person desires. Recommend a shim if razor allows this in your 1912 models you own.
( I tried out my modified Micromatic handle on this 1912 model also this morning, there was lot's of room for this shim in this model for what ever reason, head does not look different than other models I own?)
Ever-ready 1912 full shim changes blade angle by 4-4.5 degrees.jpg
Ever-ready 1912 full shim changes blade angle by 4-4.5 degrees #2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

ASRazor shave, August 9th 2022

Razor : Ever-Ready 1912 with a modified Gem Micromatic handle, Mfg 1936- 53, nice mid range, well built and takes the modern Gem blade still. Joy to use and easy to shave the face with.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Speick- nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities. Triple milled soap in a stick very nice.
Brush : Yaqi Bali 24mm silvertip badger, new brush, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice gentle scrub + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of Neutrogena Hydro boost moisturizing lotion(scentless)testing).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Ever-Ready1912 with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD August 9 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I removed the spin from a single edged hardware blade. It looks comparable to a Gem, but it may be very slightly smaller. I tried placing it in the back ( against the spring) of my two 1912s and then a single edged blade on top. It works in both, the top closes. The razors are a Squathead (travel) and a Gem Junior, both are Brooklyn made. Note that the Gem Junior has been repaired. It’s “spring” is just a piece of stiff plastic. I’ll test out one of them in a few days.
Thanks again for the inspiration Ron! I tried razor spine wedge on my 1912s and it works!

Last edited:

Ron R

While I'm talking about ASR shim bumps I did want to show users of the importance of the ASR Gem brand they thought of these bumps through their evolution of blades improvements. I believe the new modern blade with the Aluminum spine was introduced in 1950's ish with the introduction of the Feather weight model to prove this time estimation of the modern blade we use today. Gem Micromatic razors have the shim bumps placed more forward on the base plates in those models.
You will see I modified a spent Gem blade to show more clearly what I'm emphasizing that ASR had the bumps moved back further in the bottom plate to raise the blade tilt of the modern Aluminum blade to a similar height as the older obsolete steel blade splines. The blade tensioning system in these newer would damage the middle of the blade edge so this emphasizes or reinforces the reason for these shim bumps they wanted incorporated.
The Gem Micromatics were engineered differently so not to damage their new double edge blade with their rack & pinion superior clamping system of blade tensioning IMO. Micromatic engineering marvel for a razor and always puts a :001_smile on me.
The Feather weight, Push Button, Heavy Flat Top(G-bar) and Contour 1,2 models had these shim bumps moved back and the reason is to smooth the shave because these models all have similar blade gaps (I have not checked the contour blade gap) and they are the smoothest of Gem models for comfort IMO. Blade tilt must matter for smoothness and Gem did changes also to top cap on these models to smooth out the shave IMO.
These are just my simple observations and hopefully my last on this subject of shim bumps in the ASR Brand of fine razors.
I personally have used a lot of different brands of razors out there from the finest stainless steel razors to most popular affordable brands and Gem brand still shines excellence in shaving if you understand how to use them properly.
The blade thickness and blade edge refinement makes for good shaving in such a competitive shaving market of razors like it has always been for well over 100years.
Showing Blade shim bumps change of placement on the base plate.
(L) Gem Push button model.............Gem Feather Weight model..................Gem Heavy flat top model(AKA = G-Bar)
Gem shim bump placement under the new blade..jpg
Gem shim bump placement under the new blade-GBar.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

That's interesting @Ron R. I never paid attention to the bumps in razors other than the Micromatics. I knew other Gems had them I just didn't pay attention to any differences.
I was in the same boat sort of until I looked a little closer and noticed the button placement and figured the reasoning after looking at the ASR time chart. That ASR razor dating time chart @mata_66 made up for us all to enjoy is such a good quick reference for figuring other unknowns like the aluminum spline introduction time line also.

Ron R

ASRazor SOTD, Sat, Aug 13th 2022, Tried a shim under the blade spline for my morning shave and it performed well and seemed slightly smoother IMO!

Razor : Ever-Ready 1924 (AKA= Shovel head)-Mfg 1924-33 excellent mid range, different way of loading a blade from the back of head. Excellent shave this morning and the more I use this razor over the years the more I enjoy it.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) very sharp blade , great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Cyril R Salter Indian Sandal wood cream- nice 6/10 scent of Sandal wood spiciness + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Black marble 24mm Tuxedo knot, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Proraso Red sandalwood with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Ever-Ready 1924 Shovel head with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD August 13.4 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I was struggling with how a simple shim under the modern blade spline could smooth out a ASR razor slightly when the gap is already pre- determined and so I did some basic figuring on paper and took some actual real photos to see what happens when a Gem blade is tilted more and basically it is creates less blade exposure(blade feel).
The Gem blade is 9/1000 inch in thickness or 4.5/1000 of a inch to center of blade point that bumps the blade stop, with tilting the blade more it makes the bottom side of the blade flatter to base plate reducing the blade exposure to a max of 4.5 /1000 of inch in theory. So even if blade tilt reduces it 2-3/1000 of inch in blade exposure that would smooth the shave slightly to experienced person using that razor for years(like myself), a Newbie would not notice any difference because he would accept what is in the blade chamber as the best it gets without knowing some of the history of blade changes over the last 100 yrs going from wedge blades to the modern Gem blade changes.
So I just made a simple sketch photo explaining my best understanding on Gem blade tilt and why it will smooth some of the older ASR vintage razors slightly if a person desires that, I used modern Gem blades in all my ASR razors with no shim under the modern blade and they work fine with great results, but the Feather weight> models are smoother shavers and now I understand a little more why the shim bumps where moved underneath where the modern spline seats on the newer models !
Gem blade gap decreases as blade tilt increases is my conclusion by simple observation 3..jpg

Have some great shaves!

I was struggling with how a simple shim under the modern blade spline could smooth out a ASR razor slightly when the gap is already pre- determined and so I did some basic figuring on paper and took some actual real photos to see what happens when a Gem blade is tilted more and basically it is creates less blade exposure(blade feel).
The Gem blade is 9/1000 inch in thickness or 4.5/1000 of a inch to center of blade point that bumps the blade stop, with tilting the blade more it makes the bottom side of the blade flatter to base plate reducing the blade exposure to a max of 4.5 /1000 of inch in theory. So even if blade tilt reduces it 2-3/1000 of inch in blade exposure that would smooth the shave slightly to experienced person using that razor for years(like myself), a Newbie would not notice any difference because he would accept what is in the blade chamber as the best it gets without knowing some of the history of blade changes over the last 100 yrs going from wedge blades to the modern Gem blade changes.
So I just made a simple sketch photo explaining my best understanding on Gem blade tilt and why it will smooth some of the older ASR vintage razors slightly if a person desires that, I used modern Gem blades in all my ASR razors with no shim under the modern blade and they work fine with great results, but the Feather weight> models are smoother shavers and now I understand a little more why the shim bumps where moved underneath where the modern spline seats on the newer models !
View attachment 1504945
Have some great shaves!

Interesting. I used a shim in my Pat. 1901 Gem today since you have been talking about shimming lately it was on my mind.
The shave was fantastic.

Top Bottom