What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave Tue, Sept14 2021

Razor: Everready 1912 British variant- Mfg 1936-53, excellent mid range, favorite handle design with the extended corners of the hexagon chained design makes for excellent grip (more concentration on the shave instead of slipping) nice design & built to last.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(10) excellent blade, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum with sage & Cedarwood nice scent + great lather qualities, I find loading the soap pastier out of bowl works the best, to much water at start give a more airy foam lather. Great soap when figured out procedure regardless.
Brush: Yaqi 2band badger Mountain lake(Finest badger), excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, great scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera Gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: witch hazel skin cleaning + Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my ER British 1912 with a coated Gem Blade.
SOTD,  Sep 14th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Hello Greg, As has been said a few times on this forum, set down the razor you don't get a long with it and revisit at a different later date time to see if you can enjoy it later. I had one razor I did that method with and was finally able to get some nice shaves from it.

I have had that experience. In this case the featherweight has almost always provided great shaves. And the few times the shaves weren't great was likely do to a worn out blade or something with my technique. It was purely a looks thing for me at first. Now I think it's a beautiful razor.

Ron R

MMMonday, SEptemper 20th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic Flying wing, AKA- Guiding eye, MMBT, MMFW.....Excellent tame mid range, heaviest of the Micromatics, built to last generations, good for sensitive skin very enjoyable shave this morning.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Razorock Lavender, nice masculine scent with excellent lather qualities. 2 tubs used up and 1 to go. (discontinued, hope they bring it back in the future.)
Brush: Yaqi 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, great scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch Hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm(great stuff )
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my MMFW + a Gem coated blade.

SOTD,  Sep 20th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gem Heavy Flat Top G-Bar
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210919_082040.jpg

Ron R

ASRazor shave, SEptemper, 21st 2021

Razor: Star bar#4 model- Mfg 1919-20, excellent tame mid range, very easy to shave with and the audio feedback is just what I enjoy the most. I mostly receive stellar shaves with this lather catcher.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) excellent sharpness, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Razorock Lavender, I really enjoy this masculine scented soap with excellent lather qualities. (Discontinued, there's hope )
Brush: Yaqi 24mm High mountain Silvertip, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender :001_wub: with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea moisturizer balm(great + scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent shave with my Star bar #4 with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD,  Sep 21st 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Sorry about the multiple posts above. My internet has been sketchy and I was just try to get it to post. Apparently it posted each time I retried.
Quick clean up with the Micromatic Bullet Tip with guiding eye.

IMG_20210927_064213133-01.jpeg

Ron R

ASRazor shave today, SEptember 27th 2021

Razor: Everready 1914 (AKA LLC)- Mfg 1914-17, excellent mid range, great audio feedback, great results + a joy to use.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) excellent blade, Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + best price per shave SE blade out there IMO.
Soap: Ach Brito Lavada cream, nice mild lavender scent + excellent lather quality's.
Brush: Yaqi 26 mm Rainbow brow whiskers, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + excellent painter.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Ach Brito Lavada with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm( excellent balm + scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my ER 1914 with a Gem coated blade.
SOTD,  Sep 27th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

20210926_084740.jpg

Razor: Gem Contour II
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Another great shave with a Contour! If it wasn't for the flimsy handle this would be a good razor for everyday. If I had such a thing as an everyday razor.

Ron R

GEMonday, OCtober 4th, 2021

Razor: Gem Damaskeene OC- Mfg 1912-15, nice tame mid range, amazing quality for that time period, this razor built the Gem Mfg company up into A.S.R. Corp eventually and became very large with a umbrella of different brand name products.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: (IB)Razorock Amici, nice mild citrus & herp scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm Boar brush, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles tips, nice scrubber + good lather painter.
Post shave: (IB)Razorock Amici aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm( excellent + scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: excellent shave with my Gem Damaskeene OC with a Gem coated blade.
SOTD, Oct 4, 2021.jpg

Have some excellent shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom