What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
HAPPY MicroMatic Monday 3rd AnniverSaRy!!!!

As @Ron R so aptly put it -- sharing "shaves, thoughts and the odd laugh" since July 22, 2018. For the AnniverSaRy shave, I went with a bit of a funky-monkey...the ASR lather reverse lather catcher. This razor is dead-easy to load (although that's true for most ASR razors), you just sliiiiiiide the blade in and then start collecting that stubble and lather in the back-end of the razor. I got this razor because of it's uniqueness, but it shaves really well too!!!

proxy.php

The soap was B&M Hallows (followed with B&M Hallows aftershave balm), and the brush was custom wooden handle by Jayaruh. I've been ultra-lazy about my pics, but I'm usually most enamored with the razor and the shave, so I often forget to take pics of the other hardware and software.....I'll work on that.
Interesting razor Fred, you do not see many razors at all with ASR or American Safety Razor stamped in the razor let alone in a lather catcher. ASR was a giant in the shaving world before cartridge razors took hold and folks flocked to plastic, go figure that.
Thanks for sharing that rare one.

MicroMatic Monday 3rd AnniverSaRy (July 22)of collecting shaves, thoughts and the odd laugh.

I'm here and thinking of Twelvefret's influence on my shave enthusiasm. I was also reflecting on the contributions of @OkieStubble and @aboulton1989 , so they are both represented.

Prep: Col Conk Lime, mentholated, lathered with a vintage Ever-Ready brush I just restored and re-knotted. Break-in begins. My assemblage of vintage E-R brushes might be getting out of hand. This pronounced jar shape feels comfortable and secure to hold.
Pass 1: My first Torrey, purchased with an eye on Torrey Tuesday. I only recently managed to give it a high quality edge.
Pass 2: BBMOC, preserved patina / PAL Blue Carbon(5)
Lather: BOSC Special Reserve Citrus, Lavender, and Wood, well mentholated / Omega 10066
AS: alum, Bootlegger's Green Freeze

03547D6B-0881-4BF5-8EDB-7804088085D0.jpeg

Can a contemplative shave also be luxurious? If so, it was!

Today is the actual anniversary date of the Micromatic Monday thread and to commorate this event I have chosen this well worn bullettip. It shows a lifetime of wear, yet the TTO mechanism works perfectly. The safety bar shows some erosion, but this does not affect the shave. It can still provide many years of great shaves. It is truly a gem of a razor!

Razor: Gem Micromatic Gold Flying Wing Guiding Eye
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Fine American Blend
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210721_091129.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Due to midnight shaving, I made it to the Anniversary shave the day before and I started my shower on the anniversary date a few minutes before it ended. I have two Micromatic razors and an Ever Ready Shovelhead, but almost always reach for the MMOC.

I can't believe I missed shaving yesterday for the official anniversary date. I was working on both my riding lawnmowers for two days. The drive belts went out on both do to worn idler pulleys. Both lawnmowers are in the 20 year old range. I have to disassemble quite a bit of each to get to the belt. I already had parts for the smaller one because it went out a while ago so it got fixed first. Anyway after crawling around on a concrete floor for two days under cantankerous old lawnmowers for two days I was so sore I just plum forgot what day it was. I'll have to be sure to shave Monday for the extended celebration.

Micromatic Mon 26 SOTD
Soap Stirling Glacial Peach
Brush BOTI 26mm Fan Silvertip
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 10th Use
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + HA + TGS Chronos
Wow...truly glacial!!! Really cold creamy and slick lather Not sure about the peach scent though...
Missed my GEM razors so today's shave with the razor paired with the blade was awesome! It was crisp, smooth, and very comfortable in 3passes for a dfs finish. Aftershaves ensured a super cool face for an oven-hot day!
20210726_094004.jpg

Ron R

GEMonday, July 26th 2021

Razor: Gem Damaskeene 1912 open comb, Mfg 1912-15, the razor that turned Gem into household brand for decades, excellent tame mid range, easy carefree shave this morning. One of my oldest and hardest to find A.S.R razors in my collection .
:a17:
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4) excellent blade, Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum, nice milder scent (Ver#1) excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm timber wolf, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood + a dollop of Nivea balm + 2 drops of HA.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17:excellent shave with my Gem Damaskeene 1912 oc with a Gem coated blade.
Brush collage July 26th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Micromatic Monday third Third Anniversay shave

A user BMMOC jumped out and interrupted my bike ride yesterday, so I finished the weeklong celebration with it, side-by-side with my trusty Shovelhead. The BMMOC cost me a whole T Jefferson (actually paid with two G Washington).

PAL Blue Carbon(6)
Arko stick
Ever-Ready boar re-knot (my latest)

644A0D65-A29B-487F-8E9D-ED0A4F5BB1B1.jpeg

The Blue Carbon felt a little harsh after one month and 6 wet cycles. But that might be due to excess sun on my neck during yesterday's 30 miler.

If you have read this far, the BMMOC is available, free, to any regular poster to this thread. I don't need two. PM me, and if there are multiple responses I'll roll a die. If nobody wants it here, I'll probably get off my duff and get a real PIF thread underway.

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb Gold Bumpless
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20200719_081955.jpg

Ron R

A.S.Razor shave, July 27th, 2021

Razor: Star bar #4 model- Mfg 1920, excellent mid range, well built for that Era, I just get great shaves with it.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) excellent blade, Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Ach Brito Lavanda cream(New), mild scent of lavender with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Dandi lion 24mm Cashmere knot- excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, mild scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: witch hazel + Ach Brito Lavada cologne AS(New) + a dollop of Nivea balm + 2 drops of HA.
Results: CCS, DFS, BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Star bar(Kampfe brothers Brooklyn NY) with a Gem coated blade.
Brush collage July 27th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom