What's new

Micromatic Monday

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Tried all buffing all over despite spending lots of time working on long, smooth strokes for most places for most of the Winter and start of Spring. Despite using the MMOC with a PTFE GEM over a very, very slick ARKO! lather, my ham-handedness persisted. A softer touch next time, then. At least there was ARKO!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A.S.Razor shave, Tue, May11th 2021, First Star lather catcher model made under the new merger American Safety Razor Corp in USA by the Kampfe brothers(Star brand) of Brooklyn NY, Gem & Everready. Star brand is know for its fine lather catchers and MFG first safety razors in USA & world!

Razor: Star bar #4 model lather catcher- Mfg 1919-20, excellent razor, <mid range, what a great razor to use, give me great results and a joy to use and own one, seems like a rare model to find.
blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood(some clove)- nice sharp scent, + great lather qualities, soap can be thirsty for better performance IMO.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24 mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood :001_wub:+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my Star bar with a coated Gem blade.

ASE SOTD, Tue, May11th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these days, light at the end of tunnel!

A.S.Razor shave, Tue, May11th 2021, First Star lather catcher model made under the new merger American Safety Razor Corp in USA by the Kampfe brothers(Star brand) of Brooklyn NY, Gem & Everready. Star brand is know for its fine lather catchers and MFG first safety razors in USA & world!

Razor: Star bar #4 model lather catcher- Mfg 1919-20, excellent razor, <mid range, what a great razor to use, give me great results and a joy to use and own one, seems like a rare model to find.
blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood(some clove)- nice sharp scent, + great lather qualities, soap can be thirsty for better performance IMO.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24 mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood :001_wub:+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my Star bar with a coated Gem blade.

ASE SOTD, Tue, May11th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these days, light at the end of tunnel!
That's a cool looking razor. If I were to buy a vintage razor, I think I'd like something like that!

Ron R

That's a cool looking razor. If I were to buy a vintage razor, I think I'd like something like that!
I lucked out when I bought that one off _bay. I tried to dicker a little with the owner and got a few dollars taken off and there where others bidding also, he asked for offers. Very good razor to shave with. The Gem Jr bar looks very similar and can still be had for around $30-50 or higher for a mint one.

I lucked out when I bought that one off _bay.
Unfortunately, I am persona non grata on _bay. I don't know why. I posted a lot of 20 or so books I had since junior high and high school to empty the shelves, and I got a message back saying I'm banned and there is no recourse. It was obviously an automatic message because no human being had time to review anything. They were mostly just science fiction books like Star Wars.

thombrogan

Last night was a milder Micromatic Monday. A very wet, slick layer of ARKO! helped the MMOC purposefully meander over my stubble with only the PTFE GEM blade betraying its passive façade. Didn’t make my shave faces goofy enough for ultimate comfort on and near the upper lip, but that’s a goal for the next Micromatic Monday.

thombrogan

To all good plans…. Last night was lawn-mowin’ Micromatic Monday. Unless I want a bad rash, I always have to shower after cutting the grass. On parts the mower can’t reach, I have at it with a pocketknife. And then shower.

Didn’t load the ARKO! heavily enough and my attempt to do so was unsuccessful. While only close near the Adam’s apple, it was a quick and smooth shave. Looking forward to next Micromatic Monday night

Ron R

MMMonday, May17th, 2021, Daily Double! Gem Micromatic VS (New)Yaqi Excalibur shaving 1/2 face (Left side with Gem), both razors IMO are excellent daily drivers + also <midrange & give similar results. I gave the Gem Micromatic the tougher beard side because I know this razor well and just with feel testing the results were excellent with similar feels of both razors final results.
The Gem is easier to load imo and the Yaqi is doable but a little more fidgeting with the tiny thinner blade.
The Micromatic is at least 3 times the weight and built to last while the Yaqi has no brass in the head(Zamac) with a Aluminum handle with this model. Both razors are a joy to use and the Gem would be least expensive to operate over time with blade costs per 100pcs IMO. Both razors have no blade tabs exposed, another positive.
This confirms my belief that the Gem Personna blades are just as sharp as the Feather blades & has a great proven record for longevity + both blades are excellent in proven sharpness IMO. Yaqi also makes a Excalibur model with a brass handle if you like weight or just use a stainless handle like some folks have done if you like heft. I like this Yaqi handle feel so it will stay for now.

Razor: Gem MicroMatic Flying wing SE - Mfg 1947-50, excellent mid range, great daily driver, built well, easy to load blade.
Razor: Yaqi Excalibur SE- Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, great daily driver, harder to load, great feel to this razor IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4), excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Blade: Feather Professional AC 50mm(3), excellent blade, very sharp, smooth& sharp, longevity?.
Soap: Razorock Blue barber, nice scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis 24mm- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great backbone for scrubbing + excellent painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rise after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results Gem F.W: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:excellent shave with my Micromatic Flying wing.
Results Yaqi Excalibur: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur.
MMMonday, May17th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

MMMonday, May17th, 2021, Daily Double! Gem Micromatic VS (New)Yaqi Excalibur shaving 1/2 face (Left side with Gem), both razors IMO are excellent daily drivers + also <midrange & give similar results. I gave the Gem Micromatic the tougher beard side because I know this razor well and just with feel testing the results were excellent with similar feels of both razors final results.
The Gem is easier to load imo and the Yaqi is doable but a little more fidgeting with the tiny thinner blade.
The Micromatic is at least 3 times the weight and built to last while the Yaqi has no brass in the head(Zamac) with a Aluminum handle with this model. Both razors are a joy to use and the Gem would be least expensive to operate over time with blade costs per 100pcs IMO. Both razors have no blade tabs exposed, another positive.
This confirms my belief that the Gem Personna blades are just as sharp as the Feather blades & has a great proven record for longevity + both blades are excellent in proven sharpness IMO. Yaqi also makes a Excalibur model with a brass handle if you like weight or just use a stainless handle like some folks have done if you like heft. I like this Yaqi handle feel so it will stay for now.

Razor: Gem MicroMatic Flying wing SE - Mfg 1947-50, excellent mid range, great daily driver, built well, easy to load blade.
Razor: Yaqi Excalibur SE- Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, great daily driver, harder to load, great feel to this razor IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4), excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Blade: Feather Professional AC 50mm(3), excellent blade, very sharp, smooth& sharp, longevity?.
Soap: Razorock Blue barber, nice scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis 24mm- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great backbone for scrubbing + excellent painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rise after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results Gem F.W: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:excellent shave with my Micromatic Flying wing.
Results Yaqi Excalibur: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur.
View attachment 1267868
Have some great shaves!
Great shave off. I’m interested to hear how/when the stubble or 5 O’clock shadow comes back on each side.

GEM Micromatic Flying Wing (Bullet Tip) loaded with a GEM PTFE blade. The sound of the razor at work is a masterpiece.
View attachment 1267788
I used the same Micromatic version this morning and agree with your thoughts. Also love the sound of this razor working. Very efficient, but smooth. Even more distinctive is the sound of the open comb version. I own maybe 20 razors (SE, DE and injector) and if I only could keep two, my choices would be the my 2 Micromatics.

I used the same Micromatic version this morning and agree with your thoughts. Also love the sound of this razor working. Very efficient, but smooth. Even more distinctive is the sound of the open comb version. I own maybe 20 razors (SE, DE and injector) and if I only could keep two, my choices would be the my 2 Micromatics.
I have not tried a MMOC...yet. It’s definitely on my list, I want to see if my face peels off or if I like it. I may have to video it because if my face peels off I’ll get a ton of hits on YouTube...LOL.

Top Bottom