What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'd like to see one of those!
I believe this is what it looks like and a few of the fellows on this board owned it.
025_zps53313514 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Wow! Thanks for digging up this pic Ron. I can kind of see why it didn’t make it past the prototype
phase.
I think @HoosierTrooper owned it for a while than he sold it to some one and have never seen it again. If Hossier finds this link he will mention how it shaved, I believe he bought off of _bay many moons ago and might have some more pictures of it.

I just thought I'd see if I could declare at least slightly before Monday dawns on @Chard52142 !
You sure beat me to it...hahaha! Thanks for the shout-out! Nothing like a Micromatic Monday to chase away the Monday Blues...

Mon 29th GEM SOTD
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Abysso
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 2nd (Stropped)
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + The Goodfellas Smile Abysso
Good soap/croap. Very pleasant mid-strength scent with creamy slick lather...
Shave with the razor paired with the blade that I stropped was very very smooth and comfortable for 3passes for a mostly BBS result. The aftershaves were excellent. Very enjoyable GEM session! Rating 10/10!!
20210328_205216.jpg

20210329_122934.jpg

Razor: GEM Micromatic MMOC (hold flat against face)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (3)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Red Queen 24mm synthetic
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Le Père Lucien - Rose de Pushkar
Aftershave: Dr. Jon’s Cedar & Rose

90D45809-BD98-453C-A76D-284103246588.jpeg

Don't You Just Hate it When...all you want to do is have a nice shave and can’t find the instructions to your razor anywhere!
Problem solved. Just engrave the instructions right into the cap of the razor.

Todays shave was fine except I couldn’t obtain a BBS on my neck. I worked at it, but gave up before I caused myself some razor burn. I know the bar is set pretty high after my last two insanely perfect shaves with my Schick E2 and PAL injectors using Personna PTFE blades.
When I think about it, my least used GEM has always been the open comb Micromatic, so maybe this OC model just can’t get a proper pass on my neck skin. I’ll pay close attention using this same blade on my next GEM shave with a different model.
I can feel a little bit of post shave “glow” which is a sign that I may have overworked my face a bit on this shave.

Ron R

GEMonday, March29th, 2021

Razor: Gem Featherweight 1st Generation- Mfg 1950-52,2nd Gen 53-54(different top cap), excellent <mid range, carefree shave, nice feel when shaving.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) excellent blade, Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Razorock Lavender, nice scent, excellent lather qualities, nice post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26mm, excellent lather creator, soft cloud like soft tips, great scrub + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my 1st Gen Gem Featherweight + a coated Gem.
MMMonday, March 29th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
90D45809-BD98-453C-A76D-284103246588.jpeg

Don't You Just Hate it When...all you want to do is have a nice shave and can’t find the instructions to your razor anywhere!
Problem solved. Just engrave the instructions right into the cap of the razor.

Todays shave was fine except I couldn’t obtain a BBS on my neck. I worked at it, but gave up before I caused myself some razor burn. I know the bar is set pretty high after my last two insanely perfect shaves with my Schick E2 and PAL injectors using Personna PTFE blades.
When I think about it, my least used GEM has always been the open comb Micromatic, so maybe this OC model just can’t get a proper pass on my neck skin. I’ll pay close attention using this same blade on my next GEM shave with a different model.
I can feel a little bit of post shave “glow” which is a sign that I may have overworked my face a bit on this shave.
I love this razor with the writing....it always makes me think of this Gary Larson cartoon:
the-far-side-by-gary-larson-chronicle-features-1983ansom-first-43081693.png
Given I'm not a morning person, I can use all the help I can get, so one of these days I'll stumble across the one with the built-in instructions and pick it up. As to the BBS-on-the-neck dilemma, I only have success with a limited number of razors and blades when it comes to that endeavor -- and I can't think of any GEM that I have which will make it happen easily (at least without a penalty). I also find that my Injectors are more likely to get a BBS on my neck, and honestly, my Colonial General (AC blade format) and even the RazoRock Hawk V3 OC (also an AC blade razor) are probably my 2 best for that pursuit.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
As to the BBS-on-the-neck dilemma, I only have success with a limited number of razors and blades when it comes to that endeavor -- and I can't think of any GEM that I have which will make it happen easily (at least without a penalty).

I was just thinking about that this morning. The closest I get to one-and-done on the neck with the MMOC is when using the “loud” angle. And the easiest way for me to irritate my neck with the MMOC is the “loud” angle… Yet, the RazoRock Hawk V3OC - shallow enough that its derpy teeth are an adorable ornament - and all seems swell. Not usually perfection, but also any cleanup isn taking twice as long as the first pass.

March 29th: MMM

GEM MMOC / Persona GEM (2nd)
Stirling Green / 30mm Synthetic
Stirling Green AS Splash
Polo Red Intense Balm (Don't have any Green or knockoff)
Stirling Green EDT

Results: Glorious shave, that slightly rough new blade from last week, now broken in, gave a simply wonderfully close and smooth shave this morning. No muss, fuss, nicks, or cuts. Perfectly glass smooth BBS result.

PSX_20200927_081756.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Chrome Flying Wing
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
A Gem Contour with a brandy-new GEM SS PTFE. The combination of the new blade and a less than ideal soap made for a close but somewhat harsh feeling shave. Nothing against RazoRock's soaps, but the 3 I have (Acqua, Alchemy and Black Bay) are not as protective as I'd like for breaking in a new blade. And the brush was a Stirling Badger. The net net was a CCS-DFS-BBS shave, and I can still smell the scent of the Acqua soap on my face.

proxy.php

Gem Clog Pruf again!
I've really been working this old gal recently. The last few shaves with it have been proper Nirvana. A new blade today and surprise surprise, same old story (in a good way). There is a nos one of these for sale at a somewhat local antique shop to me, once March restraint is over, I'll purchase it. If its still there that is.

Also no! I won't be telling where, not even for "research".

Declare early, shave late.

Yesterday was crazy, today was recovery and catch up. I caught up with shaving at about 8 this evening.

Razor: Micromatic Clogpruf Peerless
Blade: Gem Stainless (2), PTFE or not, I can't make the call
Brush: Ever-Ready vintage cooling tower boar
Soap: Palmolive stick. My acquisition of a Colgate shaving stick tube blew up my plan for Barbasol cream.
AS: Richard's Rub, my favorite badger blend creation

53B81C2D-83C6-4AA2-AFBD-B7A454F12A02.jpeg

Two day stubble. For some reason (hypnotic suggestion?) I kept the MMCP as flat against my face as possible. Easy shave, no nicks or roughness, but perhaps not a close as is possible with my usual more flexible approach to angles.

I believe this is what it looks like and a few of the fellows on this board owned it.
View attachment 1243190
Have some great shaves!
Yep, that was mine. I held onto it for several years and sold it when I purged a lot of razors. Here is the original thread about it.

Ron R

Yep, that was mine. I held onto it for several years and sold it when I purged a lot of razors. Here is the original thread about it.

The Fellows wanted to also know how it shaved with the proto type, if your still using your ASR razors you should join us on Micromatic mondays.
Thanks for the link and reply.

Top Bottom