What's new

Micromatic Monday

Another great shave today with my ER-1914. It always gives a nice close, smooth shave. Used my Whipped Dog brush, with Erasmic cream. That soap always amazes me with the Pereira's bowl.

ER-1914_bowl.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20210215
Micromatic Monday
shave 20210215.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (4)
Brush: RazoRock Butterscotch Beehive (28mm Plissoft knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Floïd Vigoroso

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Excellent shave! :cool:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Hoping the @Flintstone65 family and their appliances are in better health soon.

Started Presidents’ Day with a Micromatic Open Comb shave using Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal, but my whiskers were back and itching up my neck in the evening, so the MMOC came back followed with my trusty ARKO! shave stick. A shave binky, Personna PTFE GEM, and a Maggards 30mm synthetic brush rounded out my usual den of accomplices.

Perused the LOSER thread and saw some folks palm-strop their GEM blades prior to first use, so that’s what I tried for the blade currently placed in the MMOC

Folks have complained similarly about the coated Gem SS blades (Ted Pella or other distributors), primarily the first shave or two - after which it seems to be OK. I had the same issue with them. I solved the issue completely by palm stropping (I actually use the inside of my forearm, but all the same...) before the first shave. Anytime I forget to do so, I get reminded very quickly! All it takes is a few passes on each side.

Wishing everyone the best Tuesday — the best obviously being another Micromatic/GEMonday — this week has to offer.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Sorry to hear your water heater heated it's last drop @Flintstone65. Is it completely irrepairable?
I'm not sure. It was acting up a little before the super-cold weather, and now it's really acting wonky. Seems to work sometimes, but you can't be sure if you have endless hot water, or hot water for 30 seconds. The plumber, who is a super nice guy and is currently without power and unable to get to his customers due to the road conditions, is the one who suggested I give the tech support line a try. I'm sure the thing needs to be flushed, it could be scale has built up in there; or perhaps the flame sensor (which I cleaned for my initial "fix") has just "given up the ghost"; or it could be something else entirely (although these things are surprisingly simple). There is a mother board with an indicator light that should be on steady, and if it's not, then it flashes, and the number of flashes are mapped to an error code which gives you some clue as to what's going on. So I'm going to brave the cold and see if I can count the flashes, just to see if maybe that helps. Despite my current issue, I still think these "tankless" water heaters are a marvel. I really am a long shower guy, and even with my 2-person household, I could seriously impact the amount of hot water in a traditional water heater reservoir; but this tankless (on-demand, endless) water heater has kept me out of divorce-court. And even if this thing is deader than a door-nail, I'll replace it with another.

One last comment, the guy I bought this house from had a "maintenance is for suckers" attitude, so I suspect the system has never been flushed, and even the plate that covers the flame sensor had a fair amount of corrosion.

I'm not sure. It was acting up a little before the super-cold weather, and now it's really acting wonky. Seems to work sometimes, but you can't be sure if you have endless hot water, or hot water for 30 seconds. The plumber, who is a super nice guy and is currently without power and unable to get to his customers due to the road conditions, is the one who suggested I give the tech support line a try. I'm sure the thing needs to be flushed, it could be scale has built up in there; or perhaps the flame sensor (which I cleaned for my initial "fix") has just "given up the ghost"; or it could be something else entirely (although these things are surprisingly simple). There is a mother board with an indicator light that should be on steady, and if it's not, then it flashes, and the number of flashes are mapped to an error code which gives you some clue as to what's going on. So I'm going to brave the cold and see if I can count the flashes, just to see if maybe that helps. Despite my current issue, I still think these "tankless" water heaters are a marvel. I really am a long shower guy, and even with my 2-person household, I could seriously impact the amount of hot water in a traditional water heater reservoir; but this tankless (on-demand, endless) water heater has kept me out of divorce-court. And even if this thing is deader than a door-nail, I'll replace it with another.

One last comment, the guy I bought this house from had a "maintenance is for suckers" attitude, so I suspect the system has never been flushed, and even the plate that covers the flame sensor had a fair amount of corrosion.

Good luck buddy.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The calendar might have said last night was Taco Tuesday; Fat Tuesday for some faiths as well; but it was Micromatic Monday in my heart and bathroom.

After an aquatically-facilitated degunking, the stick of ARKO! added frosty, saponified highlights to my whiskers. Had I stopped there, it would’ve looked like I was off my diet and gingerly sampling a few dozen cinnamon rolls. No, a Maggards 30mm synthetic brush; barely damp; scrubbed up a lather, scrubbed in some water a few times, and painted in more water until I had a blameless lather on my mug.

Okay, palm-stropped before first use Personna PTFE GEM, what’ve you got?

Oh yeah, put that bad bubby in my Micromatic Open Comb and used it for shaving.

The Micromatic glided over glistening waves of ARKO! as though directed by a skilled wet-shaver and not the ham-handed ARKO!-sniffing lunatic staring back in the mirror. Aside from my chin and around my lips, the Micromatic Open Comb lay nearly flat against my mush with only the tiniest amount of encouragement needed for the blade to push my stubble off the skin. Steep-looking angles trimmed fuzz away from the chin and around the lips and I either scraped my upper lip or illuminated recent irritation from a recent shave. The alum would tell me.

But it didn’t

What’s this? What’s this?
No hint of alum sting
Contrare, mon frere!
No burn; no tingling
What’s this? What’s this?
My shave binky’s not bloody
My neck isn’t extra ruddy
Have I tamed a fave shave buddy?!
What is this?!

tl;dr - palm stropping improved blade’s first use in an MMOC last night and I may have like it.

I Finally got an Ever-Ready 1914 (little lather catcher)😍

5513D1DF-3254-4037-8621-57F09FF5F588.jpeg

I finally added my first Ever-Ready 1914 to my collection. It’s well used, but a cool little kit I got for cheap.
A nice little case with a handle, 1914 head and a blade stropper. It’s kind of like a poor mans Streamline set.
642DC6D6-F752-467C-B46C-037292C04887.jpeg
What’s with me and my propensity of acquiring Ever-Ready Stroppers. They just seem to fall into my lap.
The first thing I noticed about the razor was the little tab in the back that you use for flipping open the top had been broken off. Its no big deal as there are two slight flairs on the side of the head I can get hold of to open it.
Ooops! Never mind. I guess there’s a reason it says “lift here” on the sides of the head. My stupid.
The head snaps down, but there is play and the top is loose where it should be hard against the blade. No problem. I took a needle nose pliers and very slightly bent the flange in the back to restore full snap and tension.
F65AEA12-C7F1-4334-A569-BD4AF747A570.jpeg

I can’t decide if I’m going try shaving with this blade that came installed in the razor.
62C9C4E9-A5D0-4CE1-AFD0-86BB0E7EF4A7.jpeg

Anyway, I can’t wait to finally have my first 1914 (little lather catcher) shave.

On a further note. I had to wait six days to see if anyone bid against me. During that time I came across another really shiny Ever-Ready 1914 with a cheap “Buy it now” price. Since I couldn’t be sure to win the bid on the first one, I snapped up the second. No one bid against me on the first one so now I have one in the hand and another in the mail.

Last edited:
I Finally got an Ever-Ready 1914 (little lather catcher)😍

View attachment 1224998
I finally added my first Ever-Ready 1914 to my collection. It’s well used, but a cool little kit I got for cheap.
A nice little case with a handle, 1914 head and a blade stropper. It’s kind of like a poor mans Streamline set.
View attachment 1224999What’s with me and my propensity of acquiring Ever-Ready Stroppers. They just seem to fall into my lap.
The first thing I noticed about the razor was the little tab in the back that you use for flipping open the top had been broken off. Its no big deal as there are two slight flairs on the side of the head I can get hold of to open it.
Ooops! Never mind. I guess there’s a reason it says “lift here” on the sides of the head. My stupid.
The head snaps down, but there is play and the top is loose where it should be hard against the blade. No problem. I took a needle nose pliers and very slightly bent the flange in the back to restore full snap and tension.
View attachment 1225000
I can’t decide if I’m going try shaving with this blade that came installed in the razor.View attachment 1225002
Anyway, I can’t wait to finally have my first 1914 (little lather catcher) shave.

On a further note. I had to wait six days to see if anyone bid against me. During that time I came across another really shiny Ever-Ready 1914 with a cheap “Buy it now” price. Since I couldn’t be sure to win the bid on the first one, I snapped up the second. No one bid against me on the first one so now I have one in the hand and another in the mail.

Very cool set. Glad you got things worked out so the head snaps tight. The 1914 is a great razor. Enjoy the shaves.

Today I did a shave comparison between my Gem Clog-Pruf and my newly acquired Peerless Gem Clog-Pruf. A 5th use Gem SS PTFE was shared between the two razors. 2 passes for the test standard CP taking the left side of my neck and PCP taking the right. 1st pass from jawline down to collar bone, second pass sideways from middle of neck out. There was a clear visible difference in finish with the Peerless winning. The Peerless also felt better both during shave and post shave feel. No surprises here I finished the rest of the shave with the Peerless.

IMG_20210218_142733029_MP~3.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Today I did a shave comparison between my Gem Clog-Pruf and my newly acquired Peerless Gem Clog-Pruf. A 5th use Gem SS PTFE was shared between the two razors. 2 passes for the test standard CP taking the left side of my neck and PCP taking the right. 1st pass from jawline down to collar bone, second pass sideways from middle of neck out. There was a clear visible difference in finish with the Peerless winning. The Peerless also felt better both during shave and post shave feel. No surprises here I finished the rest of the shave with the Peerless.

View attachment 1225050
Hello Greg, you don't see many all brass regular Clog pruf razors, actually that is the first one I have seen( they are usually coated). Glade you enjoyed the Peerless model Clog Pruf, I also enjoy mine.

Razor: STAR - 1912
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE(10)
Brush: Dscosmetic - SHD Manchurian GelTip (26mm)
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub - Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Skin EX (Toner)

3E9AB2A8-9CFE-48BD-9932-7107A2045815.jpeg

Star Baby
Now that I’ve shaved with my STAR, I’ve completed shaves with all the baton handled ASR razors. GEM, STAR & TREET. I always get a smooth, comfortable shave with these models. Perhaps the baton handles fit more naturally in my hand? Whatever it is I’ve never had a bad shave with any of them.
Speaking of the baton crew never giving me a bad shave, this GEM blade just completed its 10th shave, so I’m retiring it just to be on the safe side.
My face is smooth, my skin feels soft and I feel fine.

(The Guess Who’s “Star Baby” was stuck in my brain for the entire shave so I thought I’d pass along the ear worm to you)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
It's relatively early on a Sunday, in my neck of the woods, so I thought I'd remind everyone that Micromatic Monday Approaches!!! Truth be told, I don't think my reminders are all that necessary, we have a good number of GEM/ASR Razor devotees and you guys show up rain or shine, and with some awesome looking kit.

I've actually got a few "new to me" ASR razors -- one is actually branded ASR (but it was made by Ever Ready). I haven't really landed on a razor yet, but I absolutely will. Oh, and I've got a new tankless water heater installed, so it will be a welcome part of the shave -- I may even include it in the picture. :001_smile

How about you gents, have you settled on your Micromatic Monday / GEMonday razor?

Top Bottom