What's new

Micromatic Monday

I had a great shave this morning with my curved top Gem squat head 1912. Mer Shavings Orange Fougère donkeys milk soap was whipped up well with the @Graydog 26mm 2 band badger brush.

IMG_20210215_065100692_HDR~2.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, Feb 15th 2021

Razor: Gem Junior bar- MFG 1907-11, excellent milder mid range, very easy to use with modern Gem Coated blades. Very happy to go back in time and feel what it was like with a time machine(tool) and return instantly back to modern times:001_wub:.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, and predictable.
Brush: Yaqi Artic sky 24mm - excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, good scrub & great lather painting.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- nice bright citrus scent, excellent lather qualities + good post shave feel.
Pre shave : Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard surface.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.-
Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.(- 26C, 34 humidity reading)
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar with a coated Gem blade.
GEMonday, Feb 15th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm likely not going to get a shave today, Louisiana is having to deal with weather that wouldn't make a northerly part of the world even take notice; but it has us shut down for today and probably tomorrow. The temps went into the teens, the streets are iced over and we won't get out of the 20's today, and the low will be 12 degrees tomorrow -- I know, it doesn't sound much to many of you, but 30 degrees fahrenheit is considered newsworthy around these parts. So far the upper atmosphere isn't cold enough to turn the vast amount of moisture from the gulf into snow, but it's a nice sleet at the moment, and their's a couple of inches of it on the ground and it's making me wish I had a Zamboni. A salt/sand truck would beat it back, but that's not something we typically do/have, so people are *hopefully* staying at home and praying their electricity stays on. The Flintstone household is hanging tough, although my tankless water heater either REALLY hates the cold, or has decided that 2 minutes of hot water is all anyone needs for a shower.

Okay, I've clearly taken to coming here and laying down my non-shaving woes....so let's get back to shaving. Some great shaves have already made an appearance, and they're giving me ideas for which GEMtastic shaver to use....keep 'em coming, please!

Looks like I chose the same one for today, although mines a synthetic knot . I decided on, and photographed today’s shaving gear yesterday afternoon, so I wasn’t trying to be a copycat.
Ahahahaha, no worries buddy, we can share brushes, razors, soaps, and blades in all postings...and compare notes! Somehow the GEM blade seems better after a few strokes being strop on linen because I kept reading how you extending and improving the blade life by stropping, thanks!

Razor: Treet - Baton Handle (Blue)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (9)
Brush: Yaqi - Mountain Lake (Caravel Arctic)
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub - Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Toner

1EA5BA68-AB4E-4F0A-B276-281BC538E92E.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
Todays shave was a real “Treet”
It really was a treat. I knew before I even started it was going to be good, but it exceeded all expectations.
With this COVID-19 lockdown, there is really no need for all the scented soaps and AS, so I’ve been trying for simple ingredient spa shaves. My skin type doesn’t really need all those excess moisturizing ingredients and it feels really good to pander to my face. Less is more.

But...I digress! This was my first shave with a Treet razor, let alone a nice blue baton handled one.😁 The shave took me by surprise it was so silky smooth. It felt like a Tech shave. The blade was on shave number nine, and yes Chard52142, I did give it 20 licks with my Ever-Ready Stropper. I’m starting to feel like the Lizzie Borden of GEM stropping.
One interesting thing about the Treet is that even though it looks like a standard 1912/Junior type head, its safety bar is designed like a Micromatic “Clog Pruf”. If that had any design on the outcome of the shave, I really couldnt say.
884997E1-1B0E-443F-BA47-0D2C8812A79F.jpeg

A wonderful, wonderful shave. I wish they were all so nice.
PS: I’m really liking the Innisfree face scrub and the Green Tea balancing toner. They seem to be a perfect match for my skin type.

“salutant te qui ad radi”

It really was a treat. I knew before I even started it was going to be good, but it exceeded all expectations.
With this COVID-19 lockdown, there is really no need for all the scented soaps and AS, so I’ve been trying for simple ingredient spa shaves. My skin type doesn’t really need all those excess moisturizing ingredients and it feels really good to pander to my face. Less is more.

But...I digress! This was my first shave with a Treet razor, let alone a nice blue baton handled one.😁 The shave took me by surprise it was so silky smooth. It felt like a Tech shave. The blade was on shave number nine, and yes Chard52142, I did give it 20 licks with my Ever-Ready Stropper. I’m starting to feel like the Lizzie Borden of GEM stropping.
One interesting thing about the Treet is that even though it looks like a standard 1912/Junior type head, its safety bar is designed like a Micromatic “Clog Pruf”. If that had any design on the outcome of the shave, I really couldnt say.

PS: I’m really liking the Innisfree face scrub and the Green Tea balancing toner. They seem to be a perfect match for my skin type.

Nice razor! I have never see a blue baton handle!

Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 Green Bakelite Travel set
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210214_080049.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Looks like NOS after cleaned up, I like the color blue. You might have to do a shave off one of these days with the Treet VS Gem clog pruf, they do look similar.

Louisiana is having to deal with weather that wouldn't make a northerly part of the world even take notice; but it has us shut down for today

Ahhh, Portland is a bit north of Louisiana, but as a city it is darn good at failing to cope with snow and our thick 'silver thaw' ice.

My Frosty Blue agave
298A9FDA-6A16-43ED-AA34-E2A6568C130C.jpeg

One of our roses
EA6F1427-2419-4BE2-87BA-2061A99C8C30.jpeg

The electricity and internet are currently "on", hot water should be available, I'm done shoveling for a bit, and I hope to get a BMMOC shave finished and posted.

Maybe I'll put my cheap Casio Navitimer knockoff (as recommended on B&B) in the photo! My new 'dress' watch, but I'm not attending any dress up occasions these days...

Late Monday 'Peerless' Micromatic shave

One of my more annoying clients liked to say "Plan your work, work your plan". I failed to work my plan today. Different razor and a brush I wasn't sure I would ever use.

Micromatic Clog-Pruf Peerless in beautiful gold/brass
GEM PTFE (3)
BOSC Special Reserve Citrus, Lavender, Wood croap
Rubberset 153 - the star of the show today
Pinaud Clubman (decanted to glass)
246F968D-6090-479C-8F44-8983289EE34C.jpeg

The Rubberset is a recent wild find. It didn't come in a box, but based on its condition, I was pretty sure it had never been used. Now that I have face lathered with it for the first time, I am certain. It hogged the photo and drove my planned faux-bling watch back into the drawer.

The Peerless is perhaps my best looking Micromatic (other than a MMBT cabinet queen). So I was going for a vintage beauty shave. I got a BBS with no burn, even though I worked over the worst whorl with a bit too much persistence.

Love the scuba dude amphibia, I have the aqua dial version.

Thanks. I've got another a friend is putting new hands on for me. This one has had the hands swapped out and I did the work on de-chroming the bezel to expose the brass.

I love the small case for that razor...tour?

Thanks, It's a cool little razor and box. Not sure of the official name of the set but it would have been marketed as a travel razor.

Beautiful Treet. Love the Blue handle. I've got a Treet with red baton a Star with black baton and a Gem in a slightly different shaped black baton handle. They are great razors and very comfortable handles.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
After a brief but seemingly productive conversation with the tankless water heater manufacturer tech support, I took a victory lap with a lonnnnng hot shower and a slow Micromatic shave. The shower and shave went well, but tonight I turned on the hot water tap to show my loving but not overly-confident-in-my-handyman-skills wife that I had indeed fixed the hot water heater, and after a lonnnnnng uncomfortable silence while ice-cold water poured from the faucet, I went outside to check my "handywork". And yes, the Takagi Tankless Hot Water Heater did indeed have the last, cold laugh. So I didn't fix it, we are still iced in, but I did secure a Micromatic Monday & Lundi Gras shave. Tomorrow is Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) and around here we refer to the Monday before as Lundi Gras (although I'm not sure that's a real thing).

Here is my Lundi/Mardi Gras shave brush, and the Micromatic ClogPruf. For those unaware, the colors of Mardi Gras are Purple (for Justice), Green (for Faith), and Gold (for Power). Laissez le bon temps rouler! The soap was Haslinger's Schafmilch.
proxy.php

Top Bottom