What's new

Micromatic Monday

Funny, I was just talking with another friend today about the "Peerless" name. Any idea where that comes from?

Not sure but I know it has more teeth on the guard bar and from what I understand is more efficient/aggressive. I think the difference is 17 teeth on "Peerless and 11 on standard. I know there is a British Ever-Ready 1912 referred to as the Peerless also. I have one but it seems to only be a difference in the pattern on the handle.
They were both most likely just marketing ploys to get people to buy a new razor.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Question: Are there any Gem (or GEM family) razors that are made in Canada? I have Gillette and Autostrop razors that are made in Canada, but I don’t believe I have ever seen a GEM (Star, Ever-Ready, Treet etc).
I researched a little into Gem marketing in Canada and this is a different approach to understand their strategy. A.S.R built a brand new plant in England in 1936 with production until 1953 to serve the British Commonwealth including Canada, Australia ........ and Gem did not promote enough in Canada possibly. I believe ASR had a small blade plant in Canada to service their razors but not much came of it.
In a broad approach they did not take King Gillette marketing genius to built a plant in Montreal, Schick built a plant in Niagara falls Ontario and Valet Auto strop built a plant in Toronto, Ontario, Canada also and that is why they where dominate for their time & to this day Gillette and Schick brands are found in Drug stores to Grocery stores in Canada because the founders were long term strategists. There are some rare Personna cartridge razors(ASR company) in stores like the dollar store and some Grocery stores.

Mon 1st SOTD
Soap RazoRock Mudder Focker
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 10th Use!
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Super nice lather from the soap! A unique scent, thickly creamy and slick too!
Shave with razor paired with the well-used blade was still good, smooth, and comfortable enough for 3passes without any issues for a DFS to CCF result. Excellent aftershaves. Enjoyable SE session. Rating 9.5/10
20210201_083247.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I went "old school" with the Micromatic Open Comb ("Bumpless")....and it was awesome. The soap was Men's Soap Company Bay Rum, which was lathered with a RazoRock Plissoft Beehive (28mm). It was truly a nice 3-pass shave and my face thanked me for it. On the shave previous to this one, I had tried to just go with a quick 2-pass shave....both passes were "Against the Grain", and my face did NOT thank me for that.
proxy.php

GEM MMOC / CVS Blade (3) / Barrister and Mann Seville / Vintage Ever-Ready Badger-Boar / Clubman Pinaud Splash. Revisiting the MMOC--it's been a while away, and muscle memory kicked in quickly, so with
GEM OCMM.jpg
extra concentration on angle and no pressure I had a CCCS/DFS so much so that I went for a third pass bordering on BBS. I have some GEM PTFE blades coming in the mail, so I'll be able to compare them to the carbons to see what the fuss is about...

Micromatic Monday
Razor: GEM PushButton (Gold)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (8)
Brush: Yaqi - Aqua Tuxedo
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion
Stropper: Ever-Ready Automatic Stropper

E1D2E351-D8C6-4858-9043-8CEA496142C6.jpeg

Pull my finger...no, no, no! I meant push my button!
Out came the GEM PushButton for today’s comfy smooth BBS. The Personna was on its eighth outing today. I know people say SS doesn’t require stropping, but I’m from a different school. Perhaps not as influential as on a carbon edge, but will certainly help repair any bent or broken micro serrations.

This shaving soap is the hardest puck I have ever used, yet it builds an effortless lather instantly. I did build my lather in a bowl today as usual because I’ve never been good at face lathering, but I may use this soap to develop my skills. I think I’ll devote this puck and two brushes just for face lathering practice.

Really nice post shave face. I think I’ll keep it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Feb 1st, 2021

Razor: Micromatic flying wing, MMBT, Guiding eye...- Mfg1948, great mid range<, heaviest of the Micromatics, carefree to use.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity & predictable,
Soap: Proraso red sandal wood- nice milder scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock noir 400 plissoft 24mm- great synthetic brush reminds me of a boar brush, soft tips with a bit of back bone for a scrub.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood :thumbsup:with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS, DFS. BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent milder mid range shave with my MMBT and coated SS Gem blade.(not much to shave from yesterday close shave.)
MMMonday , Feb 1 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

20210131_084329.jpg

Razor: Gem 1912 Peerless
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip
Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Top Bottom