What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm late posting (as usual these days), but I did manage to get a really nice Gem Damaskeene OC shave. I've never used a soap more than a handful of times in a row, but I have been enjoying the B&M 2020 Hallows. The maker describes it as based on the fall scents that are found around the area of Copp's Cemetery in Boston. The scent is a sweetish, earthy smell that initially pushes you away, and then after a brief moment, it draws you in and compels you to take deep, delicious breaths. I spent several years of my childhood in that particular area of the country (Boston, Lexington, Concord), and my absolute fondest memories are from Trick or Treating on a brisk fall evening, with the leaves crunching underfoot and the adrenaline spiking as you knocked on a strangers door to solicit something sweet to eat.

The Hallows continues to be lathered with my orange-beehive-handled Plissoft (not pictured this time), and the blade itself was a GEM SS PTFE. The shave itself was outstanding....an extremely comfortable DFS. As an unabashed lover of the open-comb, I am very happy to be able to use this particular razor.

proxy.php

An ivory handled Gem Featherweight in truly excellent unmolested condition, complete with original cheesy plastic box arrived today.

Initially I was worried that the finish had degraded and gone porous, but it was just 60+ years of dust accretion ;)

It got a serious scrub down and is already loaded with a SS/PTFE blade in anticipation of tomorrow mornings shave :D

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
An ivory handled Gem Featherweight in truly excellent unmolested condition, complete with original cheesy plastic box arrived today.

Initially I was worried that the finish had degraded and gone porous, but it was just 60+ years of dust accretion ;)

It got a serious scrub down and is already loaded with a SS/PTFE blade in anticipation of tomorrow mornings shave :D
Congrats!!! Looking forward to hearing (reading) about that shave!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, OCtober 22nd,2020

Razor: Star bar#4 lather catcher- Mfg in Brooklyn NY 1920 by Kampfee brothers, one of the last & best lather catchers made possibly in USA. Milder mid range + excellent daily driver IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) Excellent blade with great sharpness and longevity and smoothes out nicely.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum- mild scent with excellent lather qualities with a great post shave feel. Great price & deal IMO.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm-excellent brush for creating lather with nice soft tips. Have been using this one for years enjoyably.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: cols water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups. WTG + ATG + pick ups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor(RR version of Creed Adventice)aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my Star bar #4 & Gem Personna coated blade.

OCtober 22nd, Wed, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

This morning's shave was fantastic! The Featherweight still cuts closer than a DE on the first pass and ultimate closeness with two passes is closer as well, while being only a whisker harsher than my benchmark DE razors. No burn at all with AS!

This one is a real winner, my only gripe is that the head doesn't rinse out as easily as the older Junior does.

This morning's shave was fantastic! The Featherweight still cuts closer than a DE on the first pass and ultimate closeness with two passes is closer as well, while being only a whisker harsher than my benchmark DE razors. No burn at all with AS!

This one is a real winner, my only gripe is that the head doesn't rinse out as easily as the older Junior does.

Hi there. is a featherweight like a push button as far as the shave goes? I know that there are mechanical differences, but is it the same as far as shaving goes?

I like a milder feeling razor, yet not so mild that it won’t get close. Trying to figure out if I should buy a featherweight. I have a PB. Thanks!

Hi there. is a featherweight like a push button as far as the shave goes? I know that there are mechanical differences, but is it the same as far as shaving goes?

I like a milder feeling razor, yet not so mild that it won’t get close. Trying to figure out if I should buy a featherweight. I have a PB. Thanks!
Pretty close, I would say. There are two generations of the FW head. They are discussed earlier in this thread.

In regard to honeybadger79's question, I have no idea... I'm new to GEM SE too!

Damn! my MMOC arrived today, that is one nicely built razor!

It cleaned up very nicely and will be tomorrow morning's shave.

I have a Clog Pruf on the way and will be gunning for a bullet tip/SB variant as well.

As far as the quality of the shave *results*, I definitely give the GEM razors an edge over DE, but DE is still easier to get a solid shave from *without* paying any special attention to things like the cleft of the chin, adam's apple or the space under my nose.
A few days back I had a quick DFS shave from my RR GC .68 with a Gillette Platinum, the shave was effortless, close enough to be comfortably smooth in the evening (I shave in the morning) and without any trace of iritation. In short a really good shave, but well short of the BBS ideal that some folks persue on a regular basis. This morning I had an easy and excellent shave with the Featerweight and a GEM coated stainless blade, it was not however one I could "phone in" and required a bit more attention to angles and a mindful approach to areas on my face which have sudden changes of angle, or a nose obstructing the path of the razor. However the final result was easily as good, or maybe even a smidge better the *very closest* DE shave I can get! Generally a no-holds barred exercise in DE closeness yields at least a bit of that "scraped" feeling and some sting when AS is applied, the GEM shave OTOH, almost felt like I hadn't shaved when the AS went on... as I type this nine hours later, the difficult spots on my neck are *still* smoother than they are immediately after a normal DE shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 23rd, Fri, 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb buttonless
comparing two MMOC (2).jpg
-Mfg 1930-32 on this model until their double edge blade was introduced, 2nd Gen MMOC 1933-41! mid range (upper??), very nice razor with no blade overhang on all Gem razors!
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable IMO.
Soap: Razorock Lavender, nice scent with excellent lather qualities + good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi timber wolf whiskers knot 24 mm- excellent lather creator with some back bone with soft cloud like tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + /atg + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King louis lavender aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17: Excellent shave with my Gem MMOC buttonless razor.

OCtober 23rd, Fri, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

MMOC shave this morning (Personna coated SS) was *very* close and not terribly harsh, had two minor weepers, but that was in the process of getting a DFS+ shave everywhere on my face, about the same as I would expect with a DE if I sweated the details hard enough to get that close. There are a few spots that require stretching and angle of approach/attack acrobatics with a DE to get past SAS, these are almost simple with the GEM razors, usually only requiring a careful ATG swipe to get DFS or even BBS closeness.

While I love the build quality, design and weight of the MMOC, I think the shave from the Featherweight yesterday was actually closer and it was definitely more forgiving. I really need to chase down a Micromatic bullet tip now...

I had always figured that there was a good reason that the GEM razors were gone from the market and that the blades had been relegated to utility and industrial/scientific use, now I see that this isn't at all the case! DE and Injector definitely have a lot going for them, but as far as the ultimate quality of shave goes GEM SE seems to be the winner compared to both of those formats!

So the MMOC is all about trust, especially for us shower shavers who can't hear the cutting action as well... that is to say you need to trust that the MMOC is *actually* cutting whiskers incredibly close, despite having really minimal blade feel when held flat against the face.

Today's MMOC shave was much smoother than my last, since I just held flat and checked my work afterward, instead giving in to the urge to lift a degree or two until I get blade feel to tell me that it's actually making close contact. Really slick soap (duck fat FTW!) helps with this, since cap slide on already shaved skin is an important part of the total equation.

I still get better shaves from the Featherweight, but I consider the MMOC tamed at this point. I actually got a harsher shave from my Schick L earlier in the week!

I'm thinking that paradoxically the MMOC may be my new "need a quick shave" tool, since a single pass with the MMOC is atually quite close...

Even taking my time on that one pass, I think I'll get as good a shave as a quick two-pass with the GC, but even faster.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip Flying Wing with Guiding Eye
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (8)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic
Soap: Stirling Coniferous

Early Micromatic Monday: Sunday night shave after a day and a half of growth. Near BBS (only some post-shave ATG stubble felt under the lower lip) after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, but a very comfortable shave with no nicks, cuts, or irritation.

I am leaning towards my Kampe Star lather catcher. Plan B is the MMOC.
I’m coming off a stretch of gentle shaves using select double edge razors and blades. It was like a mini reunion, but tomorrow I’ll be returning to my single edge razors. I’ll be breaking in a new Personna PTFE blade so I’ll probably ease my self back in with a GEM PushButton and work my way backwards in time.

Top Bottom