What's new

Micromatic Monday

257DF8CE-3A8F-4903-B134-9F9913C26373.JPG

First use of my new to me GEM Featherweight.

Went with my standard modern GEM Personna coated blade (4th shave) since it was my first time with this razor - plan to use the vintage razor blade on Monday.

Great shave! Definitely a GEM!

PS: The Mr. Pepper soap is new too and WOW, I'm in love.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1106915

First use of my new to me GEM Featherweight.

Went with my standard modern GEM Personna coated blade (4th shave) since it was my first time with this razor - plan to use the vintage razor blade on Monday.

Great shave! Definitely a GEM!

PS: The Mr. Pepper soap is new too and WOW, I'm in love.
I LOVE my GEM Featherweights! :)

Congratulations! :thumbup:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Sat May30th, 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb or MMOC- Mfg 1930-41, the razor that helped Gem pull through during the dirty thirties. One of best razors Gem made IMO and was revolutionary for its time with the first Twist to open(TTO) ever.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) great all around blade, sharpness, longevity and smooths out during its life cycle nicely.
Soap: Tabac- great soap that lasts & lasts........triple milled with a mild floral scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle, excellent brush that splays,scrubs,soft tips &paints well.
Pre-shave:Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavenderaftershave with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gem Micromatic razor today.

SOTD, Sat May 30th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Wow -- you guys are doing some great shaves!!! Gotta ask @MyOldKentuckyHome -- is the scent Mr. Pepper (like the soda), or is it peppery/spicy. Either would work for me....although I was a Mr. Pibb kid, I liked the good Doctor as well! :laugh:

Dr. Pepper. It even tickles the nose like it’s carbonated.

Check out my review here:

I had an excellent shave with one of my favorite razors ever. The Gem Jr. Bar is an excellent smooth but efficient razor. This was my first use of this handle I recently made. I like longer handles bit I may have went a little overboard on this one. I'm planning on making myself another slightly smaller handle in a different color combo.
The Stirling soaps Almost Heaven is a wonderful scent and has good slickness. The jury is out on boar brushes. I want to like them but have not been impressed so far. The Thayers aloe formula with cucumber is so much better than the cheep witch hazel I had previously. I look forward to trying the rose when I'm ready to buy more shaving accoutrements.

20200530_115836_HDR~2.jpg

I have passed over the G-bar for the last few weeks, so it is my choice for tomorrow. It will be my first shave with that razor.

I love the look of the G-bar but it is the only GEM model I've every tried that just didn't do it for me. Lovely looking piece of history and not a "bad" shave, just not as good as the other GEM's I've tried. A definite case of YMMV and I hope you enjoy it!

Pushbutton for me tomorrow. I think it's the latest model GEM I have and I'm embarking on a Modern Week where everything (or almost everything) is 1920 or later...

I checked. The Gem Carbon Steel has been sitting in the chrome MMOC, longing for a shot at shave 8. I am on a roll, pushing blades too far, so what have I got to lose? Not in the MMOC, though, I‘ve been there so many times lately.

Monday. Micromatic. Nickel plate. I will be winging it, flying like a bullet, guided by the eye at the tip top. If I lather well, at least Mr. Carbon Steel won’t bite me. But will it give me the shave I deserve?

Odds are currently 1 to 8 against.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I must confess, I'm really not sure which of my ASR razors will be making an appearance tomorrow....I'm leaning towards the Clog Pruf.

Good morning, gents! As I promised, here is something very different, and it is entirely possible it does not belong to this thread at all; but I had to share it with you, especially because the way it shaves, the angle/aggressiveness/efficiency are very close to the MMOC, the weight is exactly the same and I use the GEM blade in it. So, without further ado:

IMG_2357.jpg

Razor: 1924 Valet Autostrop Razor, model VC1 in silver
Blade: GEM SS PFTE by Personna, despined
Brush: Simpson T3
Soap/Cream: Kiss My Face Pomegranate Grapefruit
Bowl: Parker’s ivory apothecary shave mug
Aftershave: Rose Water with Witch Hazel and Hyaluronic Acid

Excellent two-pass shave, very similar to the open comb GEM Micromatic.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Good morning, gents! As I promised, here is something very different, and it is entirely possible it does not belong to this thread at all; but I had to share it with you, especially because the way it shaves, the angle/aggressiveness/efficiency are very close to the MMOC, the weight is exactly the same and I use the GEM blade in it. So, without further ado:

View attachment 1107774

Razor: 1924 Valet Autostrop Razor, model VC1 in silver
Blade: GEM SS PFTE by Personna, despined
Brush: Simpson T3
Soap/Cream: Kiss My Face Pomegranate Grapefruit
Bowl: Parker’s ivory apothecary shave mug
Aftershave: Rose Water with Witch Hazel and Hyaluronic Acid

Excellent two-pass shave, very similar to the open comb GEM Micromatic.
While I completely agree that this shave does not belong in this thread, I do understand the desire to spread the word about these awesome razors. I absolutely love the shaves I get from my Autostrops (B1 and B2) and my Valet Autostrops (VB1 and VC1) -- the A1's I have (Brit and US versions) are cool looking but they aren't as mechanically sound as my others so they don't shave quite as nicely (too much blade movement). And I have to agree that the shaves I get (and the shaving experience) do feel comparable to MMOC.

Congrats on discovering this gem (note the lower-case "g") -- and despite the rule-break -- thanks for sharing it with us; although I would be remiss if I didn't remind us all that these incredible-non-ASR razors are always welcome here when accompanied by a GEM, Ever-Ready, Star and Treet.

Last edited:
Glad I took my Featherweight for a spin this weekend because my wife surprised me by giving me my anniversary present first thing this morning and it’s a new King C Gillette razor so I’ll be using that today.

But looking forward to trying that vintage GEM blade tomorrow.

Also looking forward to @LCarter joining this thread next week as he was the winner of the MMOC PIF this morning!

Top Bottom