What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Thur April 2nd 2020

Razor :Gem Featherweight 1oz weight- MFG 1950-53 -Great razor for a daily driver or breaking in new Gem blades!
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (1)-one of the sharpest blades MFG in the world with longevity that no one beats IMO.
Soap : Proraso red sandal wood- it's OK!
Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm (Sagarda Familia)
Pre Shave : Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep : cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave : Alum + cold water rinse after approx 40 seconds.
Post shave : Proraso Red Sandal wood aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + Alum indicated some irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17: good shave this morning.

SOTD , April 2nd 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

SOTD, Thur April 2nd 2020

Razor :Gem Featherweight 1oz weight- MFG 1950-53 -Great razor for a daily driver or breaking in new Gem blades!
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (1)-one of the sharpest blades MFG in the world with longevity that no one beats IMO.
Soap : Proraso red sandal wood- it's OK!
Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm (Sagarda Familia)
Pre Shave : Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep : cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave : Alum + cold water rinse after approx 40 seconds.
Post shave : Proraso Red Sandal wood aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + Alum indicated some irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17: good shave this morning.

SOTD , April 2nd 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

That's a Beautiful featherweight.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I can't believe it's Sunday, which means Micromatic Monday / GEMonday is right around the corner!!! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone will be bringing to the party!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, April 6th 2020 today for my razor usage, On a fairly new blade I like to advantage of my milder Gem razors that will give excellent shaves regardless. My gold push button performed very well today with minimal operator error.

Razor: Gem push button- MFG 1958-65 -good daily driver!
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade in every way!
Soap: Italian barber Amici- Great inexpensive soap with good lather qualities!
Brush: Yaqi timber wolf whiskers 24mm- great brush to use.
Pre- shave : shower + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Amici aftershave with witch hazel + AVON "True Gent" balm- now that is a nice balm!!!
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + minimal irritation + 1 weeper on chin area> operator error= :a17: great shave today!
GEMonday April 06th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
GEMonday, April 6th 2020 today for my razor usage, On a fairly new blade I like to advantage of my milder Gem razors that will give excellent shaves regardless. My gold push button performed very well today with minimal operator error.

Razor: Gem push button- MFG 1958-65 -good daily driver!
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade in every way!
Soap: Italian barber Amici- Great inexpensive soap with good lather qualities!
Brush: Yaqi timberwolf whishers 24mm- great brush to use.
Pre- shave : shower + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Amici aftershave with witch hazel + AVON "True Gent" balm- now that is a nice balm!!!
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + minimal irritation + 1 weeper on chin area> operator error= :a17: great shave today!
View attachment 1083328
Have some great shaves!

yep, I've found the featherweight and g bar good for new blades!!!!

camo

GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip / GEM (9th)
Old-Spice Original Shave Cream (India) / 30 mm Tuxedo Brush
Mentholated Witch Hazel (w/Old Spice Scent oil added)
Old Spice AS Splash (Homebrew)
Soap Commander Classic Spice Balm

Three passes, with some touch up to get that glass smooth BBS feeling.

Just an old softy...

Gem G Bar / PTFE 2
TOBS Sandalwood / Simpson Duke 1 Best Badger
OG face lathered with a Palmolive stick
Alum, Sudsy Soapery Lemon Rose Chypre AS

EE93190C-77EE-4C6A-94EE-316380CF704C.jpeg

No boar? Soap costing somewhere north of a sawbuck? A pricy AS too? Not my usual shave, but a number of unexpected items arrived in an unexpected trade during these unexpected days.

Product reviews:
>TOBS-S - very soft soap, super slippery and strongly scented. I needed alum to de-slick my face post shave.
>The Duke - small handle, short loft, the soft but dense knot holds water. It didn’t convert me from boars, but it won the badger slot in my rotation, hands down. The small form factor is great for a fingertip face latherer.
>SS LRC - nice, not particularly masculine, didn’t make me want to chop down a tree any more than the TOBS made me want an ambassadorship to the Court of St James.

And the shave? The G Bar did a DFS++ job even though I had to open it for mid-shave rinsing of my ultra-dense OG lather. Makes me consider giving my Featherweight and Contour more face time.

Just an old softy...

Gem G Bar / PTFE 2
TOBS Sandalwood / Simpson Duke 1 Best Badger
OG face lathered with a Palmolive stick
Alum, Sudsy Soapery Lemon Rose Chypre AS

View attachment 1083431
No boar? Soap costing somewhere north of a sawbuck? A pricy AS too? Not my usual shave, but a number of unexpected items arrived in an unexpected trade during these unexpected days.

Product reviews:
>TOBS-S - very soft soap, super slippery and strongly scented. I needed alum to de-slick my face post shave.
>The Duke - small handle, short loft, the soft but dense knot holds water. It didn’t convert me from boars, but it won the badger slot in my rotation, hands down. The small form factor is great for a fingertip face latherer.
>SS LRC - nice, not particularly masculine, didn’t make me want to chop down a tree any more than the TOBS made me want an ambassadorship to the Court of St James.

And the shave? The G Bar did a DFS++ job even though I had to open it for mid-shave rinsing of my ultra-dense OG lather. Makes me consider giving my Featherweight and Contour more face time.

love the g bar.....probably on deck for me tommorow

camo

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200406

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

20200406_120723~2.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: n/a
Brush: Zenith B24, 24x52mm Boar
Soap: Tabac
Bowl: n/a - face lathered
Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: CVS branded GEM Personna (1)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Skin Toner
Aftershave Balm: Bath and Bodyworks Hyaluronic Acid Gel
Aftershave: Tabac
Cologne: Tabac

WTG, XTG and XTG. Minor touch-up and buffing.

DFS++ Zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The Gem Featherweight provides consistent, comfortable and excellent results. :)

The CVS branded Personna are very nice blades.

The Zenith B24, 24x52mm Boar is an outstanding brush for face lathering. Love it!

Another outstanding shave!

YMMV

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I wasn't sure which GEM to use today, but then I had a nice conversation with @hillbillyreverend and @camoloc about Lather Catchers, and I decided to use my Gem Junior Bar. It was an awesome 3-pass shave with DFS+ results. The soap was Haslinger's Honig, lathered with an Omega 10777 boar. The blade was a GEM SS PTFE (12), and the razor was, of course, the GEM Junior Bar.
proxy.php

GeMentholMonday with the Gem Damaskeene. I added some Sterling frost drops to Sterling almost heaven, whipped up a luscious lather and started to shave with this wonderful razor. My first thought was WOW I know I'm shaving 7 days growth but I remember the Damaskeene being more efficient and having at least some audio feedback and blade feel. Well that's what late night shaving did to me today. I had plum forgotten to load a blade. Well once that was rectified I performed a fantastic 1.75 pass shave for a very socially acceptable shave. I was planning on this being a daily double but the mystery straight razor on its way to me hasn't shown up yet. I guess the postal system is a bit slow right now with everything going on. And I guess it's probably for the better given I forgot to load a blade in my safety razor. Imagine what may have happened with a straight razor.

I had plum forgotten to load a blade.
Imagine what may have happened with a straight razor.

True confession. I took my blade out of the G Bar, stropped it on my forearm to dry it, popped it into my Shovelhead for storage. Cleaned up some gear, put a few things away, and decided there was lather left for one quick pass on my cheeks. Used the (empty) G Bar. Felt real smooth.

Maybe we are all a little distracted these days?

Top Bottom