What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
actually like the handle.....molded knurling......and the hook at the end of the handle.

I did compare angles to some others. it is different.....but like it.

overall i prefer the older 1912 frames.

camo
Yep, you are definitely in the majority....every time I bring up my issues with the handle, pretty much everyone expresses their likes/preference for it; I'm not sure anyone has ever agreed with my handle criticisms.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, March23-2020, A few of us decided to use our GEM G-bars today and mine was in storage for sometime(out of site out of mind). On a three pass shave this little razor works well but on a 2 pass is pushing CCS, DFS shave for me. So today was a 3 pass shave and the results were in my sweet spot.

Razor: Gem G bar - MFG 1953-58
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (7)
Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea"
Brush: Yaqi timberwolf 24 mm - great brush to use!
Pre-shave : brush wash my entire face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave : Razorock " The Dead Sea" aftershave with with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + minimal irritation + 1 blemish weeper reopened = :a17: OK shave in my books!
MMMonday March 22-2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

What is your favorite GEM type blade? I have been using Walgreens blades for a few years but recently I got a bad blade in one pack. I know it's just one blade so far. It had like a nick on the blade or something. It made a little cut on my chin.

What is your favorite GEM type blade? I have been using Walgreens blades for a few years but recently I got a bad blade in one pack. I know it's just one blade so far. It had like a nick on the blade or something. It made a little cut on my chin.

I've used the Gem by persona PTFEs and the Ted Pellas didn't notice and substantial difference between the two. Currently I have been using Meijer branded blades made by Accu TEC haven't had any issues with them although they do show slight discoloration even though they are SS.
If you don't live in the Midwest Meijer is a big chain store similar to a Wal-Mart.
I've also tried a few carbon blades but wasn't overly impressed.

What is your favorite GEM type blade?

100 Gem PTFE blades in a tray from Connaught in England are probably at an all time low cost given the state of the British pound. They ship fast at very reasonable rates.

I suspect almost all Gem type shaving blades are made by AccuTEC in Virginia. Plenty of paint scraper SE blades by other manufacturers I suppose.

Here is a selection from the Tanuki den:
01F07795-723A-49E7-A26B-7103D277421A.jpeg

The Personna GEM tray came by way of Connaught. Still unopened, I get too many shaves per stainless blade. The carbon steel Blue Stars (marked 009 RD) came retail bubble packed, supplied with a Gem Jr. in a vintage store. The GEM Carbon Steel (different ‘GEM’ font than PTFEs) and the PAL Blue Carbon apparently came from Try A Blade.

The gray plastic dispensers are both marked ‘AccuTEC Blades, Inc.’. The clear dispenser is marked ‘American Safety Razor Co.’ Its contents (10 blades) look identical to GEM PTFEs to me.

100 Gem PTFE blades in a tray from Connaught in England are probably at an all time low cost given the state of the British pound. They ship fast at very reasonable rates.

I suspect almost all Gem type shaving blades are made by AccuTEC in Virginia. Plenty of paint scraper SE blades by other manufacturers I suppose.

Here is a selection from the Tanuki den:

The gray plastic dispensers are both marked ‘AccuTEC Blades, Inc.’. The clear dispenser is marked ‘American Safety Razor Co.’ Its contents (10 blades) look identical to GEM PTFEs to me.

Thanks for your info. I checked my stock and I have 2 packs of 10 blades from American Safety Razor, and 2 packs of 10 from AccuTEC Blades, Inc. I have not tried the AccuTEC blades yet. Maybe they will be better. I'm glad you mentioned where they were made. I didn't realize I had blades from 2 different compaines.

I took the England cue and ran with it.

Shower prep
Chrome 1912 ‘Made in England’ with a crisp, grippy chain-link handle
Gem PTFE (11)
BOSC Special Reserve Armani Code clone soap, face lathered
Vulfix 6 boar brush ‘HANDMADE IN U.K.
Nivea balm & homebrew Hazel/Hop/Husker AS

1CBE0494-1F89-4A4A-AEC6-D587D42427B0.jpeg

A very close 2 pass/touchup shave. I shaved very efficiently, since I was on deadline for my first ever phone appointment with my tax guy of over 4 decades standing. Social distance.

We caught up on family, swapped news about old friends, and made the usual disparaging remarks about fiscally irresponsible individuals, financial advisors, and other lowlife species. This is the only thing that keeps me on the rails during tax season.

Flintstone65

As promised, a mostly British GEMonday was in the cards for me today. I say "mostly" since my brush was Chinese (Yaqi Moka Express 24mm Mew Brown knot) and post shave was American (Thayers Rose Witch Hazel). But let's "crack on" and get to the juicy details of the shave!

It was BRILLIANT!!! An incredible 3-pass shave that could have easily been 1 pass and a touch-up (seriously), but I wanted to use up some of the excellent Cyrill R Salter rose lather -- my thanks to a very thoughtful and generous friend (you know who you are!) for sending me this sample. Whether DE or SE, I find it hard not to love the British made razors....this particular one is well made with a stunning "peerless" handle and came in what I believe was it's original Ever-Ready bakelite case (which is also in perfect working order).

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
As promised, a mostly British GEMonday was in the cards for me today. I say "mostly" since my brush was Chinese (Yaqi Moka Express 24mm Mew Brown knot) and post shave was American (Thayers Rose Witch Hazel). But let's "crack on" and get to the juicy details of the shave!

It was BRILLIANT!!! An incredible 3-pass shave that could have easily been 1 pass and a touch-up (seriously), but I wanted to use up some of the excellent Cyrill R Salter rose lather -- my thanks to a very thoughtful and generous friend (you know who you are!) for sending me this sample. Whether DE or SE, I find it hard not to love the British made razors....this particular one is well made with a stunning "peerless" handle and came in what I believe was it's original Ever-Ready bakelite case (which is also in perfect working order).

proxy.php
The British made some nice razors, they were a powerful manufacturing country at that time era. I find the Everyready razors were a little more aggressive than GEM IMO because the Brits liked it that way more.
Looks like a great shave!

proxy.php

I took the England cue and ran with it.

Shower prep
Chrome 1912 ‘Made in England’ with a crisp, grippy chain-link handle
Gem PTFE (11)
BOSC Special Reserve Armani Code clone soap, face lathered
Vulfix 6 boar brush ‘HANDMADE IN U.K.
Nivea balm & homebrew Hazel/Hop/Husker AS

View attachment 1077807

A very close 2 pass/touchup shave. I shaved very efficiently, since I was on deadline for my first ever phone appointment with my tax guy of over 4 decades standing. Social distance.

We caught up on family, swapped news about old friends, and made the usual disparaging remarks about fiscally irresponsible individuals, financial advisors, and other lowlife species. This is the only thing that keeps me on the rails during tax season.

Beautiful razors gentleman. I love the look of both of those handles. Just curious would you agree with @Ron R that the British razors are more aggressive? I don't believe I own a British safety razor. I may have to rectify that situation.

Last edited:
Several people used the G-bar today so i figured I'd give mine another go. And to make it an official Micromatic Monday I also took the BMMOC for a spin. The lather I got from mixing Mer shavings mysore sandalwood with Cella the other day was so nice I repeated that mix today. I have to agree with @Flintstone65 the G-bar is nit my favorite Gem razor. Not quite sure what it actually is though. I actually really like the look of it. Just not in love with the shaves from it. The BMMOC on the other hand is a stellar razor.

Flintstone65

Beautiful razors gentleman. I love the look of both of those handles. Just curious would you agree with @Ron R that the British razors are more aggressive? I don't believe I own a British safety razor. I may have to rectify that situation.
I would say it is more efficient than my US 1912 Ever-Ready, but it's still a high-comfort razor. I was guilty of over-shaving, but I have no irritation, and I went ATG in sensitive spots and didn't have any bleeders. Reminds me of the difference between US-made Gillette New and a British made RFB NEW (the RFB NEW is noticeably more efficient and comfortable to me than US one). So I feel like there's a difference....besides, I hardly ever disagree with @Ron R. ;)

I will be shaving late today but wanted to mention that today is the anniversary of the patent of the Ever-Ready 1914. So I will be using the Wonderful Ever-Ready 1914 AKA Little lather catcher today.
Who else will join me in celebrating these beautiful razors?

Top Bottom