What's new

Micromatic Monday

Look forward to joining you on the Monday after the upcoming one. Just picked up a Micromatic on Ebay
See pics below.
I don't know much about Micromatics so can anyone tell me about the model I bought. Paid $20.00 delivered with case. Is that a good deal.?

It wasn't represented as an open comb but it sure looks like one to me.

Bought these blades Personna Gem SE Blades, PTFE Coated because another thread recommended them.

micromatic1.JPG

micromatic2.JPG

Micromatic3.JPG

Micromatic4.JPG

Look forward to joining you on the Monday after the upcoming one. Just picked up a Micromatic on Ebay
See pics below.
I don't know much about Micromatics so can anyone tell me about the model I bought. Paid $20.00 delivered with case. Is that a good deal.?

Bought these blades Personna Gem SE Blades, PTFE Coated because another thread recommended them.

View attachment 1073670
View attachment 1073671
View attachment 1073672

View attachment 1073673
nice!

I would have paid that for an OC in that condition without even blinking.

congrats

camo

See pics below.

View attachment 1073670
View attachment 1073671
View attachment 1073672

View attachment 1073673

That's a beautiful Micromatic Open Comb, aka the MMOC they are fantastic razors. And the blades you picked up are a great choice. Some find the first shave or two to be a little harsh with them then the 3rd and on to be smoother. Just keep the pressure extremely light to start with and keep the cap flat to your skin and things should go very well. @Ron R posts pictures of the instructions now and then. If you go back in this thread a little ways you should be able to find them. I hope you enjoy these razors as much as we all do.

See pics below.

View attachment 1073670
View attachment 1073671
View attachment 1073672

View attachment 1073673

Your kit looks to be in great shape! See you on Monday. I had a learning curve to get comfortable with Gem SE shaving. This thread is a great place to get ideas and support.

Also, if you want to try out some other Micromatic models there is a passaround.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Greetings all, Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) Approaches!!! Now for the all important two-part question:
  1. Who will be joining in for a shave with one of the American Safety Razor (ASR) brands: GEM, Ever-Ready, Star or Treet?

2. What razor(s) will you choose?
The answer to the first question is (almost) always a resounding YES :thumbup: for me; but then the hard part comes with the second question. Lately my thought process has followed along these lines: what are my esteemed friends and shaving savants using, and what hasn't been in rotation for a while. So while I'll undoubtedly be inspired by your choices, I am currently leaning towards an old fave that was last used November 11, 2019 for a MM/GM shave. How could I be so precise? The beauty of the B&B search (and my obsessive posting behavior).

Search tip: Go to the search bar while you're in the Micromatic Monday thread, put a razor model in (e.g., "Damaskeene"), use the drop down box to change "Everywhere" to "This Forum", and then in the "by member" box, start typing in your username (no @ sign) and select your name when it appears. Then when you hit search, you see only your posts (typically sorted by newest to oldest) with the search criteria highlighted. Voila, you can figure out what hasn't been used in a while.

At this point I'm sure folks are thinking: "why can't this guy just do a quick reminder post....does he have some disorder that makes him type 50 words when 5 will suffice????" And the answer is, of course, YES! :001_tt2:

I really want the give the new every ready i landed a couple hours ago a go.......but will most likely go with the traditional bullet tip.

ever ready feels like it will be highly aggressive.

20200315_140137.jpg

20200315_140322.jpg

I haven't seen any examples of this handle on one????? says "patented March 24/14" on the back.

camo

The ER 1914 AKA little lather catcher is a great razor. It shaves very nicely. I would say it is an efficient razor without being overly aggressive for me. And I love the audio feedback it gives.

I had a great shave today. I've been meaning to do this shave most of the week but haven't shaved in a while. To tired to look back to confirm but I believe the last shave was Sunday. This one is for @camoloc who has been talking about these two razors. I did the right side with the BT and the left with the FW. Great shave all around and with a side by side comparison I'd say these two are closer in efficiency than I had thought previously. The BT being ever so slightly more efficient. I was still able to pull off a very socially acceptable shave and just wonderful pass and light touch up.
The FW just took the slightest bit more touch up to achieve the same results. Either way an excellent shave can be had with either razor. And a very fun relaxing and refreshing shave can be had with the 2 together.

I’m a long way from the shave den, but I should be home in time to use my recently captured wild brass Gem 1912 with a handle almost as short as my Shovelheads.

Meanwhile I had to remove some stubble at the lodge before skiing one of the few resorts in Oregon not closed by the plague. Don’t let @Flintstone65 know I used a non-ASR and a B-20 (Barbasol cream). AND DON’T SHOW HIM THIS PHOTO OF MY WHOLE TRAVEL KIT!
81B05B5F-E211-4B17-A22D-FF8C6580B1B0.jpeg

This Micromatic Monday concludes a little experiment. In the past I tried to extend the life of a carbon steel blade by coating it with petroleum jelly. Razor of choice is the Micromatic open comb, of course. I got four good shaves and two that felt rough. I decided to try another experiment to see if time or usage dulled these blades. This time I shaved with a single blade for four consecutive Mondays, coated as above. The results? Four great shaves! I’m thinking these blades just wear out rather than corrode. I suppose I could try without the coating. I’ll see how I feel next week.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Today started off differently than I planned, but I did manage to get a very nice shave tonight. 3 passes and I am VERY smooth. It's been too long since I've used the Damaskeene (closed comb)....nice efficiency delivered in comfort.

Gem Damaskeene (closed comb) with a brand new Treet carbon blade | Maggard Razor's Lilac | Yaqi 24mm Mew Brown knot | Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel

proxy.php

When life gives you lemons, shave citrus style.

brass Gem 1912
Gem PTFE (9)
RazoRock Orange Sunrise triple milled, face+bowl lather
Booster Iced Lime (boosted with 2g of menthol crystals)

E100EB6E-31CA-4F5A-9219-7DD4284FEC34.jpeg

A nice smooth shave after a couple basic shaves on the road. Shorter is better for me in the handle department. This one is 60mm aka 2 3/8”, same as the Shovelhead handle I checked.

Speaking of the Handle Department, I imagine the guys at ASR making up handle finish variants on the fly, then sending boxes of randomly mixed handles to Final Assembly. No two razors alike, it was all that Final Assembly could do to match the finish between handle and head.

Top Bottom