What's new

Micromatic Monday

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'll take a guess -- Star Trek Next Generation Movie (First Contact) -- actor is James Cromwell. I like him....he's been in a lots of stuff. I saw a rerun of Barney Miller and he was in that episode -- looking very young!

Pretty sure that's it. He played Zephram Cochran who, in Star Trek lore, discovered Warp Speed.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
It was a GEMonday for me with a delightful Gem relative: the 1914 Ever-Ready (aka "the little lather catcher"). It's been a very long time since I've used it, and I truly forgot how smooth of a shaver this razor is. The blade was Gem SS PTFE on it's 3rd shave, and after two passes (no touch up) I had a VERY close (DFS) and VERY comfortable shave. There's nothing wrong with the handle on this razor, but it strikes me as a touch short, and I'm going to try one of my new ones (either a Stork or Tibam) -- I'm just getting over a serious case of HAD (Handle Acquisition Disorder), but it was really more like HAM (Handle Acquisition Mishap)....I bid on somethings I didn't think I'd get :blush: -- but I'm glad I did.

Next interesting thing on this shave was the cream: Godrej. It's okay, but didn't blow me away on first use. I don't have much in that tube (it came used off the BST), and we'll see how I feel, but I'm not rushing to place a refill order at the moment. It produced a good lather, and great slickness, but the scent (while not overpowering) is more cologne than floral, and that's not really my thing.

And lastly, I do want to shout out to the B-Day Shaver (@brandaves) -- Congrats and congratulations on the Lather Catcher! I'm still unpacking from a move, but I'll try to find my Ever-Ready LC and post pics in your thread regarding the latch....we'll get that razor fixed for you!

And lastly, lastly, thank you all for another Micromatic Monday -- we'll undoubtedly have some folks coming in, but it's been a great day in GEM-Town!!!

proxy.php

WARNING: complete digression from Gem SE

Nice setup. Did you know some cake frosting lids fit old spice mugs. Great for storage.

I have heard that, but I haven’t gone there yet. My OS mugs are mostly covered by cork coasters or by soap containers. Or, to be truthful, stacks of soap containers.

But, oooh, oooh, oooh I have some NOS Old Spice soap coming from B/S/T! Well almost NOS, used 2X, with original lid!
:em2100: I’m modestly excited.

But if it turns out I hate Old Spice soap do I have to Marie Kondo my mug mini-hoard?

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
And lastly, I do want to shout out to the B-Day Shaver (@brandaves) -- Congrats and congratulations on the Lather Catcher! I'm still unpacking from a move, but I'll try to find my Ever-Ready LC and post pics in your thread regarding the latch....we'll get that razor fixed for you!
Congrats on the move my friend! I know all about how stressful moves can be as I do it about every three to four years (military). I hope the unpacking all goes well.

Thanks for the birthday wishes and I look forward to your insight on the Lather Catcher.

WARNING: complete digression from Gem SE

I have heard that, but I haven’t gone there yet. My OS mugs are mostly covered by cork coasters or by soap containers. Or, to be truthful, stacks of soap containers.

But, oooh, oooh, oooh I have some NOS Old Spice soap coming from B/S/T! Well almost NOS, used 2X, with original lid!
:em2100: I’m modestly excited.

But if it turns out I hate Old Spice soap do I have to Marie Kondo my mug mini-hoard?

Never heard the term Marie Kondo but I looked it up and take it to mean get rid of especially because it fits the context of how you used it. So absolutely. If you don't like the soap you have to carefully pack them all up and send them to me. If I don't like the soap I have to send them to Fred and so on till we find someone he likes it.

Congrats on the move my friend! I know all about how stressful moves can be as I do it about every three to four years (military). I hope the unpacking all goes well.

Thanks for the birthday wishes and I look forward to your insight on the Lather Catcher.

Can you tag me in the Lather Catcher thread. Somehow I missed it. I have an ER Lat Catch and may be able to help.

Flintstone65

Never heard the term Marie Kondo but I looked it up and take it to mean get rid of especially because it fits the context of how you used it. So absolutely. If you don't like the soap you have to carefully pack them all up and send them to me. If I don't like the soap I have to send them to Fred and so on till we find someone he likes it.

Yes indeedy, John -- our friend is correct! :yesnod:

Can you tag me in the Lather Catcher thread. Somehow I missed it. I have an ER Lat Catch and may be able to help.
Here it is: Lather Catcher Repair Question

After using the Peerless yesterday I switched to the Pre-war Clog--Pruf this morning. A bit smoother shave but could just be second use of the Gem blade.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
After using the Peerless yesterday I switched to the Pre-war Clog--Pruf this morning. A bit smoother shave but could just be second use of the Gem blade.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
That is a hard call with a new Gem blade, I would think the blade is reaching a nice plateau of smoothness about now on 3rd or 4th shave. I thought you would do a refresher for us, Thanks @jmudrick as always for your input.
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Micromatic Monday -- also known as GEMonday -- approaches!!!!!! Grab your favorite (or closest) GEM, Ever-Ready, Star or Treet razor -- shoot, grab more than one if you're so inclined -- and join in on the fun!!!! Come early, come late, just don't miss an opportunity to show off your razor and brag about your stubble-cutting skills!!!! It'll be a hoot or is that toot?
:a50::a50::a50:

It's been a while since I've practiced my town-crier / carnival barking skills -- I think they need some work.

I’m pretty sure 1924 is calling. Shovelhead and a vintage straight - that’s the plan! Williams Mug, an old boar - it is looking classic, at least in my imagination.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Same hardware and software as today but going with my GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip with a nicely mellowed Ted Pella GEM Personna blade in place of the RR Hawk V2 with Feather AC.

Should be a very interesting comparison. :)

As promised today's Micromatic Monday was actually a Gemonday with the Gem Jr. Bar. I used a Treet super given to me by a friend. I'm assuming these are carbon blades. It was smoother than the Pal carbon blade I started with a then quickly abandoned but not much. I want to try stropping some of these different carbon blades. I have a paddle strop with interchangeable magnetic stopping pads but I really want to get a fire hose hanging strop. Anyways Mer Shavings Barbershop lathered great with a two band badger.
This was a quick but enjoyable shave overall. I slept an hour longer than planned otherwise I would have done the stropping today.

20191209_080158.jpg

Flintstone65

As promised today's Micromatic Monday was actually a Gemonday with the Gem Jr. Bar. I used a Treet super given to me by a friend. I'm assuming these are carbon blades. It was smoother than the Pal carbon blade I started with a then quickly abandoned but not much. I want to try stropping some of these different carbon blades. I have a paddle strop with interchangeable magnetic stopping pads but I really want to get a fire hose hanging strop. Anyways Mer Shavings Barbershop lathered great with a two band badger.
This was a quick but enjoyable shave overall. I slept an hour longer than planned otherwise I would have done the stropping today.

View attachment 1042016
The Treets are carbon. My experience is that they're smooth right out of the box, but I can't really get more than 5 shaves out of them, no matter how nicely I treat them post-shave. I've got a paddle stop as well, and very interested in any experimentation you do with stropping the carbons.

It was a Micromatic Monday for me. I had two-pass (no touch-up) shave with my BMMOC, and came away with a DFS+. @Tanuki's "Restraint from BBS" really raised the level of my shaving game....instead of chasing a BBS with a 3-pass or a 2-pass with a "touch-up"/"clean-up", I've been sticking with a straight 2-pass shave and leaving it at that. So far my face feels better, my technique is more careful (aka less sloppy) and I've had better shaves.

Here's the rest of the software/hardware: Stirling MITA lathered with a Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf and finished with a splash of Thayers Rose. The star of the shave was the BMOCC with a GEM SS PTFE on it's 9th shave.
proxy.php

BMMOC for me as well today.
GEM Persona SS PTFE (x2 I think)
Storybook Soapworks Midnight Embers soap and splash
Rick Montalvo Silvertip
IMG_20191209_055717-02.jpeg

Very nice shave with great results. Things seemed a little more "grabby" than usual but by watching my angle carefully I got a smooth, close, comfortable shave.

Loving the Storybook soap and scent.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
SOTD
12/09/2019

Razor: Valet VC1
Blade: Gem Despined PTFE Coated
Brush: Rubberset 203 TGN High Mountain Badger
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap
Lather: Martin De Candre Fougere
Aftershave: Thayer's Witch Hazel
Additional Care: Gentlemen Jon's Alum Block
Neutrogena Aftershave Balm

Lumii_20191209_105034236.jpg

Lumii_20191209_105318903.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday for myself today with my Peerless Clog Pruf and it sure works well when my shave count is high on my Gem blade. I find the MMCP a little smoother than my MMOC but not by much with excellent outcome for a shave.
Razor : Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf ( Peerless Variant)- MFG 1945,17 nibs on safety bar compared to standard 12 nib.
Blade : GEM Personna SS PTFE (9)
Soap: Razorock Iirish Country side
Brush : Yaqi Rainbow 26mm brown whiskers.
Preshave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Result: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:
MMMonday Dec 9-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom