What's new

Micromatic Monday

I'll be here tomorrow as well -- haven't chosen yet, but I'm considering my ER 1914....it's been a while. @GAW9576, are Ted Pella blades injector-style or GEM-style blades? I think of them as injector, which is why I ask.

This was a Gem blade. I think they do an injector too though. My friend gave me a few. Apparently it's a Gem SS that Ted Pella improves in some way. ???? On how exactly but I think they just put there own coating on them.

Now that’s a truly classic Double!

On Micromatic AKA GEMonday minus 1 and counting down!

I’ll be here tomorrow - not quite ready to do any corking science, but feeling a 1912/PTFE vibe.

Thank you. You have had some great doubles as well.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hi All -- I should've made this announcement earlier. But for now, Twelvefret and B&B have parted ways. If you need/want to reach him, send me a PM. I don't know if this parting is temporary or permanent; but I'm planning on keeping this thread going for as long as I continue to shave with a Micromatic (which I daresay will be until the day comes when I can no longer shave).

Thanks,
Fred

Flintstone65

This was a Gem blade. I think they do an injector too though. My friend gave me a few. Apparently it's a Gem SS that Ted Pella improves in some way. ???? On how exactly but I think they just put there own coating on them.
Ahhh, thanks for the info. Any verdict yet on whether it's better/smoother/etc than the GEM SS PTFE's?

Ahhh, thanks for the info. Any verdict yet on whether it's better/smoother/etc than the GEM SS PTFE's?

I don't personally notice much if any difference. But I switch razors so much I don't know the characteristics of any given razor and blade combination well enough to make a definitive decision on the subtle differences in such things.

2nd try with a new to me MMCP 12 tooth chrome with a fresh teflon coated GEM... it nibbles & bites WAY more than my brass "peerless" 17 tooth version... Is this 'normal'? Not a newbie with SEs & wondering if this is 'normal', eh?

Flintstone65

2nd try with a new to me MMCP 12 tooth chrome with a fresh teflon coated GEM... it nibbles & bites WAY more than my brass "peerless" 17 tooth version... Is this 'normal'? Not a newbie with SEs & wondering if this is 'normal', eh?
Hmmm, I don't have the Peerless, just the "regular" 12 tooth MMCP -- I wouldn't describe mine as "nibbling and biting", mine is a smooth shaver. Perhaps someone else can weigh in with their experience.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a Peerless MMCP and it is smoother than my 12 tooth MMOC. I do not own a 12 tooth MMCP but others who had both models said the Peerless is smoother but gave similar results.
clog pruf 1941 to 1946 3.jpg Courtesy of @jmudrick , he might chime in because he has both models.
Have some great shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I will be entering the fray with my GEM Featherweight equipped with a Ted Pella GEM blade.

A BBS is anticipated, if my history with this razor/blade combination is any indication. :)

I will be entering the fray with my GEM Featherweight equipped with a Ted Pella GEM blade.

A BBS is anticipated, if my history with this razor/blade combination is any indication. :)

A question came up earlier about the Ted Pella blades. I was given a few but am not sure what the difference is between them and a standard Gem blade. Any enlightenment? Do you notice any difference?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday with my Gem G bar, If I do a 3 pass shave with this razor I receive a decent shave. My usual routine is a 2 pass with a clean up. A very nice looking razor IMO.

Razor: Gem G bar - MFG 1955-58
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (7)
Soap : Razorock XXX
Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm " Sagrada Familia"
Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + A dollop of Aloe Vera clear gel on beard area.
Post shave : Razorock XXX aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + aftershave indicated minimal irritation + no weepers= :a17:
MMMonday Dec 2-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

You asked for pics ...
IMG_20191202_062409-01.jpeg

BMMOC, GEM Persona PTFE (x1)
Storybook Soapworks, Elysium
Rick Montalvo

Second time with Storybook Soapworks soaps. I really like the rich lather. Holds water well so stays slick with a reasonable post-shave feel.

BBS in three passes as usual.

What scent is the soap?

According to trythatsoap.com, Elysium is:
Lavender
Sandalwood
Vanilla
Peppermint
Cedar
Arymis

It's a light, sweet smell. I gave a sample to a friend and his comment was "It smells like candy." Sorry, describing scents and tastes is not my strong suit.

GEMonday:
Lower: Robert Klaas ‘Kissing Cranes’ SR
Upper and XTG stroke: Gem 1912 / PTFE (3)
Lubrication: Cremo Cooling / RazoRock triple milled lime puck
Application: Scrubby Semogue boar
Post: well, I just interrupted posting to hit the witch hazel and touch on a little Pinaud VIBR. It has been brought to my attention that, while an inexpensive splash is on the holiday wish list, the VIBR is still half full after 2 decades. And I like Bay Rum! In small doses, just before going out for an evening.

7554E295-632B-4B52-849F-0CFE4B1DDAF6.jpeg

A very good shave and an excellent MMonday!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A question came up earlier about the Ted Pella blades. I was given a few but am not sure what the difference is between them and a standard Gem blade. Any enlightenment? Do you notice any difference?

I am very new to Single Edged shaving - a veritable neophyte. The Ted Pella blades are my first SE blades. Bought them based on reputation and because they are available in smaller lots.

I'll be trying different blades as my SE journey continues and will be able to offer additional commentary as I experience the various GEM-style SE blades.

Wish I could be of more help.

GEMonday:
Lower: Robert Klaas ‘Kissing Cranes’ SR
Upper and XTG stroke: Gem 1912 / PTFE (3)
Lubrication: Cremo Cooling / RazoRock triple milled lime puck
Application: Scrubby Semogue boar
Post: well, I just interrupted posting to hit the witch hazel and touch on a little Pinaud VIBR. It has been brought to my attention that, while an inexpensive splash is on the holiday wish list, the VIBR is still half full after 2 decades. And I like Bay Rum! In small doses, just before going out for an evening.

View attachment 1040075
A very good shave and an excellent MMonday!

Nice setup. Did you know some cake frosting lids fit old spice mugs. Great for storage.

I am very new to Single Edged shaving - a veritable neophyte. The Ted Pella blades are my first SE blades. Bought them based on reputation and because they are available in smaller lots.

I'll be trying different blades as my SE journey continues and will be able to offer additional commentary as I experience the various GEM-style SE blades.

Wish I could be of more help.

No problem.

I'm only around 2 weeks into trying SE shaving, but from what i've seen posted, there are 3 types of SE blades - carbon steel, stainless steel, and PTFE coated stainless steel. The Ted Pellas that most B&B posters use are the coated ones. I'm not sure if they're the same as the coated Gem/Personna sold from Connaught, but i think they probably are the same.

I haven't taken any pics yet but i made a pretty big leap into the SE world- I got 2x - 1912 Gems that say Brooklyn, NY on them (one is the regular 1912, one has the added Damaskeene logo inside the head. From what i can tell they're basically the same exact razor but the damaskeene just has a very slight roundness/curve to the top and the regular 1912 seems flatter)

I also got an absolutely mint, looks like it was never touched by human hands- G-bar...it's so perfect i almost feel bad about using it. And I got a Micromatic OC ....and also a cool metal Gem wall-mount holder.

So far i have 3 uses on the Damaskeene. Today or tomorrow i'll be trying the regular 1912.

Top Bottom