What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
do any of the micromatics have Brooklyn on them? Why were some models called Juniors, were they smaller?
My Clog-Pruf has Staten Island on it....not the words, just the blob-shape of Staten Island....sorry, just messing around. After living there almost 2 decades, I miss NYC desperately....so it's always nice to josh around with somebody from/in Brooklyn. These are good questions, but as far as I know, the specificity of "Brooklyn, New York" died out when the Micromatics showed up. The Juniors weren't smaller, but I don't have a good answer as to where "Junior" came from....maybe Queens? There I go again....perhaps someone will show up with a real answer. I always thought including Brooklyn was pretty interesting....a fair number of SE makers were in and around (and/or sold from) Manhattan, so perhaps they wanted to differentiate themselves, but the "Junior" name thing has always struck me as odd. My shave today was with a GEM Lather Catcher (no mention of Junior), but a few years later, a nearly identical Lather Catcher model (same style, shape and arm swing/bar) came into being...the Gem Junior Bar.

It also works great on your razors especially those that are not part of your regular rotation.

@NoScrubs is responsible for introducing me to the pristine golden 1912. He knows something about keeping razors beautiful. Now I have to think about waxing my Blue Stars. Hmmm..... Nah!

What I really need is a product for de-glueing Feathers. But this is the wrong thread.

Hmmm, I see what you mean about the G-bar guard bar. I'm on record as saying the G-bar is low on my favorites list (i.e., I keep it around, but it's not a stellar shaver for me -- the GEM Pushbutton is the only other Gem razor that beats it to the bottom of the list...so I guess it's my penultimate favorite :laugh:). I haven't looked at mine in a while, but for me the handle shape just feels weird. I've gotten okay shaves, but I really don't reach for it.

As to the Gem Jr with baton handle, I've heard great things about it and it's definitely on the list to pick up one of these days. And I know this is a Gem/ASR thread, but that orange razor (TNNSER 3D) just kicks butt -- or said more politely, I REALLY like the way mine shaves!!!

Great early start to MM/GEMonday -- well done, sir!!!

I actually like the weight, shape and look of the GBar I think this one is just messed up. I I have a pushbutton Contour but I don't have the black and gold Pushbutton like yours. I think they have the same head though.

Flintstone65

I actually like the weight, shape and look of the GBar I think this one is just messed up. I I have a pushbutton Contour but I don't have the black and gold Pushbutton like yours. I think they have the same head though.
I'd agree that the PB and Contour probably do have the same head -- so maybe it was a bad blade with the PB -- I was seriously shocked when I shaved with the Contour and found it shaved as well as my Featherweight.

No pictures here but since I enjoyed using the open comb Micromatic during OCtober I thought I would pull it out again and load it with a fresh carbon-steel blade. I got a really nice shave using a combination of steep and shallow angles. I might use it again tomorrow!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191104

Prep: Splashed water on my face
Pre-shave: None
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Handle, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: GEM G Bar
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (2)

Post-shave1: Crystal Thai Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel plus Organic Moroccan Rose Water (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Eldorado

Very nice shave! Smooth and comfortable.

The GEM G Bar seems to be a nice mild and fairly mellow SE razor.

Right up my alley. :)

Last edited:

Flintstone65

No pictures here but since I enjoyed using the open comb Micromatic during OCtober I thought I would pull it out again and load it with a fresh carbon-steel blade. I got a really nice shave using a combination of steep and shallow angles. I might use it again tomorrow!
I noticed your affinity for the MMOC during OCtober, and I'm really glad you joined us for Micromatic Monday!!! Of the 3 Micromatics (Open Comb, Clog-Pruf and Bullet Tip), the Open Comb is my hands down favorite. I've always found it to be a smooth shaver with great efficiency.

Shave 20191104

Prep: Splashed water on my face
Pre-shave: None
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Handle, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: GEM G Bar
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (2)

Post-shave1: Crystal Thai Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel plus Organic Moroccan Rose Water (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Eldorado

Very nice shave! Smooth and comfortable.

The GEM G Bar seems to be a nice mild and fairly mellow SE razor.

Right up my alley. :)
Congrats on discovering the magic of the GEMs and thanks for joining us on Micromatic Monday / GEMonday. Those of us who started with Micromatics, soon learned that the rest of the GEMs were indeed gems when it came to shaving. So we expanded Micromatic Monday to GEMonday....which also includes their American Safety Razor brethren (Ever-Readys, Stars, and Treets). The G Bar has a large and devoted following....I'm more of a Featherweight fan when it comes to that particular style of GEM. But there's also the GEM 1912s, Damaskeenes, Juniors, Lather Catchers, and of course, Micromatics....not to mention the Ever-Readys, like the 1914 (little lather catcher) and 1924 (Shovelhead). All have different "personalities", but I've found all of them to be excellent shavers.

We're here every Monday (and most Sundays and Tuesdays), so please join us as you explore the various GEMs!!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Congrats on discovering the magic of the GEMs and thanks for joining us on Micromatic Monday / GEMonday. Those of us who started with Micromatics, soon learned that the rest of the GEMs were indeed gems when it came to shaving. So we expanded Micromatic Monday to GEMonday....which also includes their American Safety Razor brethren (Ever-Readys, Stars, and Treets). The G Bar has a large and devoted following....I'm more of a Featherweight fan when it comes to that particular style of GEM. But there's also the GEM 1912s, Damaskeenes, Juniors, Lather Catchers, and of course, Micromatics....not to mention the Ever-Readys, like the 1914 (little lather catcher) and 1924 (Shovelhead). All have different "personalities", but I've found all of them to be excellent shavers.

We're here every Monday (and most Sundays and Tuesdays), so please join us as you explore the various GEMs!!!

Thank you.

I shaved with a GEM Featherweight G Bar on Halloween and really liked it.

Great little razor. :)

I was going to use my ER again today and try it with a wedge adapter but the JB weld blade stop failed. So I went with the Gem Jr. Bar and a Grm Featherweight.
The Jr. Bar is a smoother more efficient razor for me and is my top favorite so far and for good reason.
Mer Shavings barber shop and two band badger handled the lather.

20191110_124819.jpg

Flintstone65

I was going to use my ER again today and try it with a wedge adapter but the JB weld blade stop failed. So I went with the Gem Jr. Bar and a Grm Featherweight.
The Jr. Bar is a smoother more efficient razor for me and is my top favorite so far and for good reason.
Mer Shavings barber shop and two band badger handled the lather.

View attachment 1033758
I'm sorry to hear about the ER, but your replacement razors are two of my faves and are excellent ambassadors to kick off GEMonday (aka Micromatic Monday)!!!

I'm trying to make a decision for my Micromatic Monday / GEMonday -- I'm leaning towards a Damaskeene....but we shall see! Who else will be joining us? And what GEM (or ASR relative) are you considering using?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
See you fellows on Monday, I might use two razors that the fighting men used during WW1 & WW2 of the ASR family for Remembrance day shave.

Damaskeene tomorrow morning sounds good to me. No funny business, 2 pass Gem PTFE shave.

In a restrained manner, of course.

I moved a lot of OCs back to tier 3 storage (a jewelry armoire) last week. The Damaskeene, the pristine golden 1912, and a Shovelhead are staged in tier 2 (just outside the den). And there is always a MMOC in tier 1, loaded.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Blade: Gem PTFE coated
Brush: Vie-Long
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Irisch Moos
Aftershave: Avon Blend 7
Additional Care: Thayer's Witch Hazel
Gentlemen Jon's Alum Block

20191111_045759.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Remembrance day on a MMMonday morning -20 C, so I choose a few razors that soldiers would of used during World War 1&2.
Not sure they would of shaved every day but at certain events they had to shave by military dress code I believe.

Razors : Everready 1914 + Gem MMCP 1945 Peerless model.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (1)
Brush: Omega boar
Soap: Williams mug
Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Aloe Vera on beard
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave : Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + alum indicated minor irritation + 2 blemish weepers = :wink2:

MMMonday Nov 11-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

@Umma2gumma has the Micromatic passaround. Maybe we’ll hear about his Monday shave.

I am ready to pass the setup on to another person to try it.

I’ve posted about my experience with them in another thread, but basically:

- MMOC: efficient but “itchy”. Even when I used caution and watched the angle very carefully, ended with some irritation. Nothing major, but I’d describe it as somewhat rough.

- Clogproof: a little less efficient (not a whole lot), noticeably less harsh.

- Micromatic: very mild, not as efficient but capable of DFS. I’d rate it about on par with Ever-Ready 1912 in mildness but slightly less efficient.

All were used with an uncoated Gem stainless blade, the same type I use in 1912.

Veterans Day gets me thinking about my dad and my uncles. Picking up the Damaskeene puts me in a throwback mood. But that era was an entirely different war.

Gem Damaskeene / PTFE (3)
Williams Mug bowl lathered
Homemade chisel handle horsehair brush

F078B39C-71CE-4BD7-A4CE-F4D029F39A4C.jpeg

Top Bottom