What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great shave this GEMonday, when you have great gear and reasonable hand technique to knock off a great shave it is not hard and in fact a joy to shave.
Razor: GEM Junior bar 1909:001_wub:
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (3)
Soap: Taylor of old Bond St Sandal wood :001_wub:
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Pre shave : Wet the face + Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Nivea refreshing splash + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS
GEMonday July15-2019 (2).jpg

For those folks who bought a used GEM without instructions these simple pamphlets should help!
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I took a little break from my MMOC this Monday and just went with my Star 1912 and a Feather with a Gem spine. Fantastic one and a half pass (for the neck) DFS.

full

Razor: Star 1912
Blade: Feather
Brush: Vintage Gibbs Synthetic (pretty sure it's synthetic anyway, not my favorite brush, the knot's a tad too long and it's a bit floppy and weak, makes a hell of a mess, I'm considering trimming it down a little).
Soap: Blue Mons (my Euro version of a Blue Willie, it's Monsavon soap with a dash of Euro Aqua Velva)
Post-shave: Witchazel Virginia water (not pictured)
Aftershave: Euro Aqua Velva
EdC: Dior Eau Sauvage (not the Johnny Depp one). Because Aqua Velva never lasts long enough

full

And I went a little Elvis with the hair today because, why not? Uh-huh thank you very much, My Micromatic Monday has left the building, have a good week chaps.

The colorful cases are one of the attractions of the Micromatics for me. I've picked up several, both in the clamshell as posted and the squared off design. Somewhere, perhaps earlier in this thread, someone had a name for the Art Deco clamshell ones .. I've seen yellow, green, and a brownish maroon in the rounded styles ..

View attachment 999151
There are some similar cases for British EverReady 1912's

Those are absolutely beautiful, I wish it was easier to get Gems in Europe :( but I suppose I really don't need a Micromatic case habit too :)

No, I’m not disappointed...

with my Ever-Ready 1912 or the MMBT guiding eye. They shared a PTFE Gem (3), running smooth. It’s that darn Speick stick. :frown2:

Really layered it on today, after a very hot face/beard wash with Williams. I was trying to find the secret formula to a decent Speick shave. Then, try as I might, I couldn’t get the lather hydrated enough with my scrubby Semogue boar. The result was very cloggy, very protective. Protected me from anything better than an SAS! Alum and AS feedback nil. Shave quality nil.

I get great lathers and shaves with my Arko and Ogallala sticks. I may finally open my Palmolive, just to get one more stick to beat the Speick with.

They’ve surrounded the culprit:
C9676D9F-D2C9-40FF-95E3-05E5583ECF3D.jpeg

Enjoy MMMonday! I may not have had success, but I had fun trying.
:punk:

I took a little break from my MMOC this Monday and just went with my Star 1912 and a Feather with a Gem spine. Fantastic one and a half pass (for the neck) DFS.

full

Razor: Star 1912
Blade: Feather
Brush: Vintage Gibbs Synthetic (pretty sure it's synthetic anyway, not my favorite brush, the knot's a tad too long and it's a bit floppy and weak, makes a hell of a mess, I'm considering trimming it down a little).
Soap: Blue Mons (my Euro version of a Blue Willie, it's Monsavon soap with a dash of Euro Aqua Velva)
Post-shave: Witchazel Virginia water (not pictured)
Aftershave: Euro Aqua Velva
EdC: Dior Eau Sauvage (not the Johnny Depp one). Because Aqua Velva never lasts long enough

full

And I went a little Elvis with the hair today because, why not? Uh-huh thank you very much, My Micromatic Monday has left the building, have a good week chaps.

Feather with a gem spine is a new one to me. May have to give that a try.

Micromatic Menthol Mashup Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness
IMG_20190715_145202649.jpg

Prep - Noxzema, Hot towel*, Lather, Hot towel*, Proraso green pre-shave
Razor - Bullet Tip with guiding eye, Clog Pruf, and MMOC from Micromatic Passaround with Gem SS blades
Brush - Old Spice w/21 boar knot, Luxury 10-5 w/24x63 boar knot, Graydog w/Stirling boar knot
Post - Alum, Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, Hot Towel*, Sea Breeze, Blade for Men(CVS) Arctic Blue
Passes - WTG, XTG, ATG
Result - BBS

Have a happy shave!

* Scented with Eucalyptus and Cinnamon EO, and Menthol bath salts

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_145219659.jpg
    IMG_20190715_145219659.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
I took a little break from my MMOC this Monday and just went with my Star 1912 and a Feather with a Gem spine.

You guys!! Let me figure out how to hone a straight, then maybe I will go all Tinkertoy on razor blades. But probably not. I like my fingers fully attached and keeping my skin intact is my goal #1 in shaving. :rolleyes:

Micromatic Menthol Mashup Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness
View attachment 999304

Razor - Bullet Tip with guiding eye, Clog Pruf, and MMOC from Micromatic Passaround with Gem SS blades
Brush - Old Spice w/21 boar knot, Luxury 10-5 w/24x63 boar knot, Graydog w/Stirling boar knot
Post - Alum, Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, Hot Towel*, Sea Breeze, Blade for Men(CVS) Arctic Blue
Passes - WTG, XTG, ATG
Result - BBS
Have a happy shave!

We have a winner!!! :clap::thumbup1::clap::thumbup1::clap:

Doesn’t get much more Micromatic than that.

It's something I've just always done, not sure how much difference it makes to the actual shave but the blade seems to sit nicer in the razor this way. I grind the edge off the Gem blade (just in case of accidents) then prise off the spine, you only really need one as long as you don't forget to take it off before you chuck the Feather away.

Ron R

View attachment 999304

Passes - WTG, XTG, ATG
Result - BBS

Have a happy shave!

Very good assortment of Gear @Clay S, you will receive great shaves for yrs.

View attachment 999304

Passes - WTG, XTG, ATG
Result - BBS

Have a happy shave!

Love the Old Spice brush where did you get it?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Wow!!! Nice Micromatic Monday, Gents....very impressive!!!! I have to agree that I was overwhelmed by the Micromatic Menthol Madness -- excellent use of alliteration, razors, and products -- well done, @Clay S!!!

Wow!!! Nice Micromatic Monday, Gents....very impressive!!!! I have to agree that I was overwhelmed by the Micromatic Menthol Madness -- excellent use of alliteration, razors, and products -- well done, @Clay S!!!

Couldn't have said it better.:a29:
Congratulation all. The Feather and GEM spine sounds very interesting and @Clay S outdid himself. :a14:

Sorry I missed out on all the fun. I went on a chartered fishing trip and now have quite a tale to tell. Should I share it here?

Ron R

Sorry I missed out on all the fun. I went on a chartered fishing trip and now have quite a tale to tell. Should I share it here?
I like fishing & stories, biggest fish I have caught was a Sail fish in Acapulco Mexico in 1982 and was one the cheapest charters ever. All of us caught one that day and had 2 sail fish on at the same time, one fellow slept in so it would of been 4 fish that day. Just makes a big difference when you have a great captain and crew.

I like fishing & stories, biggest fish I have caught was a Sail fish in Acapulco Mexico in 1982 and was one the cheapest charters ever. All of us caught one that day and had 2 sail fish on at the same time, one fellow slept in so it would of been 4 fish that day. Just makes a big difference when you have a great captain and crew.

That's awesome. It must be pretty exhilarating to reel in a sailfish. Did you keep it?
I went on a charter in Acapulco also, some of those details will be in my fish tale, so I won't spoil the story with them.

Absolutely....let's hear it! Does it begin, "Call me Ishmael"?

No, fortunately my tale is not that harrowing. It may or may not be equally based on reality though.

Top Bottom