What's new

Micromatic Monday

Since we are discussing case, I want a first generation case for my incoming “bumpless” MMOC. Any information available as to their appearance? Thanks in advance. ;)
Most common are these from 1930-33. There are some fabric case examples as well.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I believe there's also a rigid jewel case with whitish satin lining for earlier models(1930-1933)

Edit:
MMOC_Jewel_case.png

Last edited:
Not going to start a "Bumpless Thursday", but my BMMOC arrived today and it's loaded and locked down. It will probably be a Daily Double with a SR I'm presently toying with the edge.

So, if you have a BMMOC, this is your chance to show out. :a17:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I am away from the den for a bit, but I do have a bumpless -- it's my only gold'ish-brass'ish Micromatic....it shaves really well, and I've never done a side-by-side comparison (bumps vs bumpless), but in general I'm not sure I can tell a difference. Looking forward to hearing about your shave!!!

I am away from the den for a bit, but I do have a bumpless -- it's my only gold'ish-brass'ish Micromatic....it shaves really well, and I've never done a side-by-side comparison (bumps vs bumpless), but in general I'm not sure I can tell a difference. Looking forward to hearing about your shave!!!

These razors were built like tanks.

New toys. Damaskeene and Blue Stars came together. I can’t walk around a corner these days without getting jumped by some wild-eyed ASR razor. Monday’s coming...
BFCC5A73-2336-43ED-90AA-3AC0AE57696B.jpeg

Today's Gemonday shave on a Friday afternoon.
Hot shower and Noxzema prep
Proraso white preshave
Gem Jr. Bar with despined and wedged Pal carbon blade 5th use but first despined and wedged.
And Gillette thin cap with ABC scroll handle, with a Satinex 2000 platinum plus 1st use.
Mer shaving sandalwood duck fat on two and badger
Witchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.
I did a two pass shave with very light touch up the Mer shaving soap is wonderful, it has a very mild scent, next order I may get extra scent but wanted to try standard strength scent the first time. The shave turned out quite well not super close but very adequate and very very comfortable, Thank you @Twelvefretfor the advice.

20190524_145756-jpg.983708

20190524_182025-jpg.983713

20190524_181858-jpg.983711

Flintstone65

Today's Gemonday shave on a Friday afternoon.
Hot shower and Noxzema prep
Proraso white preshave
Gem Jr. Bar with despined and wedged Pal carbon blade 5th use but first despined and wedged.
And Gillette thin cap with ABC scroll handle, with a Satinex 2000 platinum plus 1st use.
Mer shaving sandalwood duck fat on two and badger
Witchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.
I did a two pass shave with very light touch up the Mer shaving soap is wonderful, it has a very mild scent, next order I may get extra scent but wanted to try standard strength scent the first time. The shave turned out quite well not super close but very adequate and very very comfortable, Thank you @Twelvefretfor the advice.

20190524_145756-jpg.983708

20190524_182025-jpg.983713

20190524_181858-jpg.983711
A couple of comments and questions:

1) The ABC Pocket Scroll handle is absolutely beautiful!!!

2) Do you notice a difference between using a shim with your Gem JR Bar, and is preferable for you over an unaltered modern blade? Just curious.

Great GEMonday-Friday shave!!!

Just curious about the lather catcher design, do you think men shaved fully dressed for the day and this gave rise for a need to prevent lather dropping on their clothing? I assume there were no sinks as we have today or running water during the era of these razors.

Flintstone65

Just curious about the lather catcher design, do you think men shaved fully dressed for the day and this gave rise for a need to prevent lather dropping on their clothing? I assume there were no sinks as we have today or running water during the era of these razors.
Good question -- I also assume that most men shaved with a basin that had been filled with pumped well water. Given that the Kampfe Bros design was really considered the first safety razor, I had wondered if the lather catching basket was really more of a happy side-effect then a thoughtful design feature. I figure they needed a way to position the angle, and I've never used a straight razor, but the old timey western barbershop movies always seemed to suggest that the barber would wipe the blade on a towel after each swipe, and that would be harder to do with a 2 inch blade perched on some metal, so maybe it was a well thought out feature. Something cool to research....when there's time.

A couple of comments and questions:

1) The ABC Pocket Scroll handle is absolutely beautiful!!!

2) Do you notice a difference between using a shim with your Gem JR Bar, and is preferable for you over an unaltered modern blade? Just curious.

Great GEMonday-Friday shave!!!

Thank you. I love the patina on the silver with some bright silver a some brassing it accentuates the scroll design so well.

I will have to do a better comparison on the de spined and wedged Blade versus a standard blade. And maybe a spined and wedged blade. @Twelvefret would 1 razor with multiple blade iterations count as a The Daily Double ?

I figured it was so you didn't have to rinse as often with the lack of running water. And so you wouldn't have lather and stubble dripping that would have to be cleaned up, wasting more of water. The only people I've seen fully dressed shaving themselves are those crazies driving to work using an electric shaver on the way. I don't know what's worse them or the ladies curling their eyelashes while driving.

Top Bottom