What's new

Micromatic Monday

Since ASR didn't use date codes or serial numbers all the dates are based on whatever advertising or catalogs we've been able to find,,,and therefore subject to revision. Just for the record.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Actually, the 1979 dating for the Contour II is rather curious. I've found that date in an excerpt of a novel where one of the characters said it was her dad razor. She said "the brand was once located in Brooklyn" and those razors weren't produced anymore since 1979. Silly me I didn't take a screenshot, I don't even remember the book title nor the author. :001_07:
I thought the date could be correct, due to the fact I have never found any evidence of a later production.

"Subject to revision" is the golden rule, I have already made some minor changes and addictions :001_cool:

Last edited:
By the way, for GeMonday/MMMonday everything is set for tonight shave :001_005:

Gem Micromatic Open Comb/Gem PFTE (4)
TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream
Semogue 620
Clubman Pinaud Brandy Spice

There may be 3 versions, but I've only run across people referencing the Contour and the Contour 2....but goodness knows that I'm far from an expert on these things. As for a Zinn, I've chased a couple, but they always ultimately exceed my budget....I'm hoping to find one in the wild some day -- perhaps being sold by a person without an internet connection or any knowledge of razors.

Hopefully they have 5 or 6 sets for next to nothing and you can pass the good fortune on to some of us.

So I'm not far from each end of the spectrum. Some day I would really like a Zinn.
I thought there where 3 versions of the contour.?.

Hello @GAW9576, Gem only commercialized the Contour as "Contour" or "Contour II". There has been an intermediate model with flip-top (no "push-button") head and a different handle but it was still called the "Contour". They are quite rare and I couldn't find a release date yet, probably 1972.
There have been other minor variations over the years. For example, the Contour II originally had a metal bracket attached to the head. In later years Gem did take some steps in cheaping out the flip mechanism and the bracket was made of plastic.

Last edited:
Hello @GAW9576, Gem only commercialized the Contour as "Contour" or "Contour II". There has been an intermediate model with flip-top (no "push-button") head and a different handle but it was still called the "Contour". They are quite rare and I couldn't find a release date yet, probably 1972.
There have been other minor variations over the years. For example, the Contour II originally had a metal bracket attached to the head. In later years Gem did take some steps in cheaping out the flip mechanism and the bracket was made of plastic.

Thanks. If I see a good deal on a flip-top in the wild I'd probably pick it up and be happy with close enough to the last model without having to the cheapened up final version.

My first try:
2019_May_20_7715_LR.jpg

In all honesty I thought everyone was exaggerating regarding how close a shave this razor yields. This morning I got as close of a shave as I have gotten with any other (Timeless, Karve, Gillette, Merkur, RazoRock, Muhle… and more) razor. It shaved as close as my slant razors.

Outstanding job in only two passes… no nicks. However, I did experience some irritation at the bottom of my neck. In particular it did a wonderful job on my chin. Going across the grain, under my nose, was a very successful strategy.

I look forward to using this again and to trying out my EverReady 1912.

My first try:View attachment 982466

In all honesty I thought everyone was exaggerating regarding how close a shave this razor yields. This morning I got as close of a shave as I have gotten with any other (Timeless, Karve, Gillette, Merkur, RazoRock, Muhle… and more) razor. It shaved as close as my slant razors.

Outstanding job in only two passes… no nicks. However, I did experience some irritation at the bottom of my neck. In particular it did a wonderful job on my chin. Going across the grain, under my nose, was a very successful strategy.

Welcome and congratulations for discovering the genius of the GEM designed razors. There is simply none better or more affordable. Thank you for participating on Micromatic Monday/ GEMonday.

Welcome to the club :)

Just a reminder, this user grade MMOC is available as a pass around if anyone on this thread wants to try out an MMOC without shelling out $$. Shipping beyond CONUS might cost you...
That looks just like the one I bought recently. Do you know approximately when it was made? Mine came in a red plastic case if that helps date it.

Last edited:
That looks just like the one I bought recently. Do you know approximately when it was made? Mine came in a red plastic case if that helps date it.

If it's one of these cases they date from 1937-1940.

Attachments

• The_La_Crosse_Tribune_Wed__Sep_22__1937_.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

Great to have you here, and congratulations on joining the ranks of those who have discovered the amazing shaves of the Micromatic!!! :a14::clap::a14:

Glad you enjoyed the shave. The areas where neck meets collar bone or neck turns to shoulder can get a little tricky for me too. Extra care to be sure the razors is positioned right and pressure doesn't deviate has helped.

Feeling a little guilty here - shaved with my MMOC but I find right now I'm preferring to use my R41 and Timeless OC Bronze. I've been optimising them - titanium handles, different blades (Nacet, Yellows, GSB) - until they feel very "right" for me.

There again, I imagine a lot of us rotate Gems and DEs.

Feeling a little guilty here - shaved with my MMOC but I find right now I'm preferring to use my R41 and Timeless OC Bronze. I've been optimising them - titanium handles, different blades (Nacet, Yellows, GSB) - until they feel very "right" for me.

There again, I imagine a lot of us rotate Gems and DEs.

A rotation is both fun and useful in doing an eval. :a14:

Since we are discussing case, I want a first generation case for my incoming “bumpless” MMOC. Any information available as to their appearance? Thanks in advance. ;)

Top Bottom