What's new

Micromatic Monday

For today's shave I wanted to compare the Gem Jr. Bar to its little brother the Gem Jr..
They both shave great, the Jr. Bar seems to me a bit smoother but I am not crazy about the handle. I want to make a different handle for it but need to figure out the thread size. None of my other handles fit it.
The Jr. Seems a bit more aggressive, and to me I don't notice much difference in efficiency between the two. I may wedge the blade on the Jr. Next time and do another comparison since I have been wedging the blade on the Jr. Bar.
For audio feed back fans the Jr. Is quite a bit louder. Especially with this handle. I plan on trying it on several other handles as the Jr. Is Interchangeable with several I have. I think this handle actually acts like the horn on an old record player. It was a very enjoyable shave today.
Noxzema and hot towel pre
Pal carbon 4th flip shared between the razors. Wedged with a strip cut from a credit card i. The Jr. Bar. Not wedged in Jr.
Sterling bay rum and Omega boar.
Shower after shaving. Forgot to do any after shave.
CCFS ( Close Comfortable and Fun Shave)

20190418_125624.jpg
20190418_213750.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
For today's shave I wanted to compare the Gem Jr. Bar to its little brother the Gem Jr..
They both shave great, the Jr. Bar seems to me a bit smoother but I am not crazy about the handle. I want to make a different handle for it but need to figure out the thread size. None of my other handles fit it.
The Jr. Seems a bit more aggressive, and to me I don't notice much difference in efficiency between the two. I may wedge the blade on the Jr. Next time and do another comparison since I have been wedging the blade on the Jr. Bar.
For audio feed back fans the Jr. Is quite a bit louder. Especially with this handle. I plan on trying it on several other handles as the Jr. Is Interchangeable with several I have. I think this handle actually acts like the horn on an old record player. It was a very enjoyable shave today.
Pal carbon 4th flip shared between the razors. Wedged with a strip cut from a credit card i. The Jr. Bar. Not wedged in Jr.

View attachment 973555 View attachment 973556
Nice write-up and good info!!! The person who made the wooden handle for my GEM Jr Bar used a #8 sheet metal screw. That size apparently fits the Jr Bar and the 1914 Ever-Ready (aka the little lather catcher). He took the razor to a hardware store, and that's the one that worked for his....and it fits fine for mine as well. I was a little freaked out to learn it's a sheet metal screw since those can be self-tapping and I didn't want it to alter the hole. But the original handle fits fine after using the custom handle. Hope this helps.

Nice write-up and good info!!! The person who made the wooden handle for my GEM Jr Bar used a #8 sheet metal screw. That size apparently fits the Jr Bar and the 1914 Ever-Ready (aka the little lather catcher). He took the razor to a hardware store, and that's the one that worked for his....and it fits fine for mine as well. I was a little freaked out to learn it's a sheet metal screw since those can be self-tapping and I didn't want it to alter the hole. But the original handle fits fine after using the custom handle. Hope this helps.

I will check that out. The self tapping part is actually just the tip and it looks a bit like a drill bit. He would have removed that or it's inside the handle, and he removed the head. So as long as it threads in smoothly no worries.

Flintstone65

I will check that out. The self tapping part is actually just the tip and it looks a bit like a drill bit. He would have removed that or it's inside the handle, and he removed the head. So as long as it threads in smoothly no worries.
That makes sense, thanks!

Flintstone65

Hello All!!! For those who thought I might have forgotten that Micromatic Monday is approaching, perish the thought! Now the question is what razor to choose. It can be a difficult decision, but a few things to remember:
  1. Micromatic Monday is also known as GEMonday, which means any and all GEMs are welcome -- we have even been known to admit GEM relatives on occasion (e.g., Ever-Ready or other ASR brands).

2. If you've got more than one GEM....maybe close to a dozen *ahem*, then the decision is often much harder. I recommend perusing this thread for ideas, and also a thread started by a very knowledgeable GEM user (and reliable Monday shaver) @Ron R -- he has charts and reviews of GEMs that provide information and inspiration. Here is that thread: Gem Razor Models

3. Last, but not least, if you're like me and have a somewhat ummm let's say eclectic collection, then take a page from our multi-razor shavers. You'll find some great multi-razor shaves on this thread (of course) -- usually done by @GAW9576, who has been known to put the "multi" in the multi-razor shaves. And there's an excellent thread started by the same member who started this tread (@Twelvefret) called The Daily Double An excellent place to find inspiration
Okay, enough jabbering from me....what's it going to be? Perhaps a pure Micromatic (MMOC, MMCP, MMBT), or an older GEM (a Lather Catcher, Damaskeene, 1912 or Junior), or something a little "younger" (G-Bar, Feather Weight, Push Button, Contours). Will it be just 1 razor, or will you venture down the multi-razor path? Inquiring minds want to know :001_smile

@Flintstone65 , Hi Fred,

Per Twelvefret's suggestion, I am now following this thread as Twelve thought I might enjoy being part of Micromatic Monday. I have now been a member of B&B for a whopping four weeks and in that time, I have acquired twenty four vintage Safety Razors! I have a slight RAD problem. At any rate, of the two dozen Razors, I now own :

(two) 1912 Ever-Ready
GEM 1912 Travel Razor (w/mental case)
(NOS) "Chrome/Nickel ?" GEM Micromatic (in Green Bakelite/Art Deco case)
GEM 1930's Micromatic (well used but clean/straight)
GEM (Brass) Micromatic 1930-1949 (was neglected but straight/cleaned up BEAUTIFULLY!)
GEM (Bullet Tip/Flying Wing) Micromatic (Chrome/Nickel ?)
GEM Featherweight (NOS) and beautiful
GEM G-BAR "Heavy Flat Top" (NOS).

Just last week, I received my order of GEM SE Blades! I must admit, I Shaved the other day (my VERY first time ever using a "Single Edge" Blade) using one of my earlier purchases, my 1912 Ever-Ready. I LOVED the shave!
Oooh, so many GEM choices! I don't know where to begin.

SixCats!

@Flintstone65 , Hi Fred,

Per Twelvefret's suggestion, I am now following this thread as Twelve thought I might enjoy being part of Micromatic Monday. I have now been a member of B&B for a whopping four weeks and in that time, I have acquired twenty four vintage Safety Razors! I have a slight RAD problem. At any rate, of the two dozen Razors, I now own :

(two) 1912 Ever-Ready
GEM (Brass) Micromatic 1930-1949 (was neglected but straight/cleaned up BEAUTIFULLY!)

Just last week, I received my order of GEM SE Blades! I must admit, I Shaved the other day (my VERY first time ever using a "Single Edge" Blade) using one of my earlier purchases, my 1912 Ever-Ready. I LOVED the shave!

SixCats!

Hey Bro. glad you are here. You are always welcome and I am sure I speak for @Flintstone65 as well.

This is also an all GEM information and history thread. So get into the weeds as much as you like. Review the posts. We have the experts and I am in do way referring to moi!!!

"So, pull up a chair. Sit a spell. Take your shoes off" ......J. Clampet

So I used the Gem Jr. Again today and added the Eveready Shovelhead for an audio comparison, switching the handles back and forth several times. There was a noticeable difference in sound between the two handles on the Gem Jr., I couldn't pick up much difference if any in audio feedback on the Eveready. The Gem Jr. Is definitely an audible shaver. Many times I feel like I'm not shaving anything and can hear hairs plinking on the blade. The tone is different with the baton handle and I believe amplified slightly. Either way I like the feel and look of the baton.
The other baton I have from my Star that looks like a Gem Jr. Has a flat solid cap on the end. I plan on a comparison of these two handles soon, if anyone is interested.

20190421_183234.jpg
20190421_183205.jpg
20190418_213750.jpg

Flintstone65

@Flintstone65 , Hi Fred,

(two) 1912 Ever-Ready

SixCats!
We are really glad you're here!!! I too have had a "slight" RAD problem -- actually, while it appears to be in remission, I am sure it will come back with a vengeance (it usually does) :lol1:!!!

The great thing about this thread -- aside from the camaraderie and just general good times with great shavers -- is that you do learn about all sorts of razors: their history, how they shave for your fellow shavers, as well as tips and tricks on techniques as well as hardware and software. You and I share the same model razors, although I daresay you have more cases for yours and your equipment is in better condition -- some of mine have seen some hard use prior to arriving at my den. So I am very interested in hearing (and seeing....we do like photos) about your shaves. I will undoubtedly learn from your shaves (much like I've learned from others), and we help each other along the way. While YMMV from mine with a given razor, I want you to get the most mileage out as possible, and I'm happy to turn to you and others to help me get the most from mine as well. So thanks for joining in the fun!!!

As for what to use, it's always tough to know where to start once your collection gets going....I've tried going in order of age (oldest to youngest), but I always jump around too. For instance, someone will mention using their Bullet Tip, and that will spur me on to have a shave with mine....I have a lot (more than I care to admit) of razors that I haven't tried yet, but I'll get around to each and everyone of them.

Thanks again for joining us and I can't wait to hear about your Monday shave!!!!!

Flintstone65

Hey Bro. glad you are here. You are always welcome and I am sure I speak for @Flintstone65 as well.

This is also an all GEM information and history thread. So get into the weeds as much as you like. Review the posts. We have the experts and I am in do way referring to moi!!!

"So, pull up a chair. Sit a spell. Take your shoes off" ......J. Clampet
Absolutely, +1 on this!!! But don't let @Twelvefret kid you, this guy is absolutely one of our experts!!!

Flintstone65

So I used the Gem Jr. Again today and added the Eveready Shovelhead for an audio comparison, switching the handles back and forth several times. There was a noticeable difference in sound between the two handles on the Gem Jr., I couldn't pick up much difference if any in audio feedback on the Eveready. The Gem Jr. Is definitely an audible shaver. Many times I feel like I'm not shaving anything and can hear hairs plinking on the blade. The tone is different with the baton handle and I believe amplified slightly. Either way I like the feel and look of the baton.
The other baton I have from my Star that looks like a Gem Jr. Has a flat solid cap on the end. I plan on a comparison of these two handles soon, if anyone is interested.

View attachment 974390 View attachment 974391 View attachment 974392
I am definitely interested in the Star vs GEM baton comparison. I have to say, it's sort of surreal seeing the shovelhead with the Baton, but very cool looking as well.

Handle and audio aside, do you have a pref over the Gem Jr vs the Shovelhead?

I have both razors (although no Baton handle....yet), and I haven't tried my Gem Jr yet. I have tried the Shovelhead and was surprised by how much I liked it. I figured it would be "ok", but I found really easy to use (except for having to fidget a bit with blade installation/centering) and it gave me some very nice shaves!

@Flintstone65 , Hi Fred. Thank you Sir for the kind words. I very much appreciate the warm welcome to MM.
I don't usually shave but once every five/six days (because I can). That is to say lol, I don't have to shave.
I like to grow my beard for nearly a weeks time and then I have a serious shave! I must admit, I am looking forward to trying one of my MMOC. Oooh ol, I did shave very recently. Fred, I don't know if you happened to see my thread regarding my FIRST experience using a SE Razor ? In case you missed it, you might find this (excerpt) of my experience amusing!

Originally posted in the thread :
Discussion in 'General Shaving Discussion' started by SixCats!

Justifying a purchased vintage Razor just for parts ?

.....Now, I do plan to try this (Brass ?) Micromatic Razor soon. Today however, I shaved for the FIRST TIME EVER
using a "Single Edge" Razor! I finally used one of my earliest Razor finds, an EVER-READY 1912. I LOVED it!
EXCEPT the part where I was shaving my Head using this Razor and, well, I became waaaaay too.......casual/sloppy and I sliced myself a good size cut into the backside of my Head (over an inch/closer to two inches)! Ugggh. Ah, screw it! Sure, it made a bit of a mess but, I patched it up and I'm sure it will heal quickly. Mind you, this CUT was MY fault and NOT the Razor's fault. Again, I LOVED the 1912 Ever-Ready (although I wish the handle was just a bit longer). Note that I had already made SEVERAL passes along my Head when this cut happened (also, it doesn't help that I can't shave and wear my Eye glasses at the same time). At any rate, after cutting myself and I finish shaving, I hopped back into a hot shower, washed my Scalp and face good using Peppermint liquid Soap and rinse. After shower, I used Witch Hazel, Styptic pen, Clubman Aftershave, Coconut Oil, Powder, etc. etc. Now, I'm BEAUTIFUL again!
So, let that be a lesson to all you new Head Shaving Guys! lol. Go slow and pay ATTENTION! Ugggh.

SixCats!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

View attachment 973555 View attachment 973556
Makes sense what you said about the GEM Junior Bar being smoother and that could be from the Blade gap being around .017 thousands compared to the Gem jr 1912 being around .023 thousands of a inch blade gap. My Gem Junior bar I found to be very smooth and very efficient razor also and one of my favorites of the Gem line of razors.
You asked me about my STAR Lather catcher that I purchased recently and it shaves very similar to my GEM Junior bar but it is in great shape compared to my GEM jr bar and very happy with it also & it has a blade gap of .017 thousands.(I wonder if little sister was made in the same factory?)
LC Compare 1 (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
You all have now made it harder, since I joined the thread later I was just doing MicroMatic's, now I have to cover all the SE'S? Does this one fit in?

IMG_8491.JPG

Makes sense what you said about the GEM Junior Bar being smoother and that could be from the Blade gap being around .017 thousands compared to the Gem jr 1912 being around .023 thousands of a inch blade gap. My Gem Junior bar I found to be very smooth and very efficient razor also and one of my favorites of the Gem line of razors.
You asked me about my STAR Lather catcher that I purchased recently and it shaves very similar to my GEM Junior bar but it is in great shape compared to my GEM jr bar and very happy with it also & it has a blade gap of .017 thousands.(I wonder if little sister was made in the same factory?)
View attachment 974428
Have some great shaves!

From the pictures it looks like some of the tooling would just be swapped out and they could be run on mostly the same presses. If you send me the star I could inspect it closer for evaluation:001_302::aureola:

I am definitely interested in the Star vs GEM baton comparison. I have to say, it's sort of surreal seeing the shovelhead with the Baton, but very cool looking as well.

Handle and audio aside, do you have a pref over the Gem Jr vs the Shovelhead?

I have both razors (although no Baton handle....yet), and I haven't tried my Gem Jr yet. I have tried the Shovelhead and was surprised by how much I liked it. I figured it would be "ok", but I found really easy to use (except for having to fidget a bit with blade installation/centering) and it gave me some very nice shaves!

I really like the Gem Jr. And the baton handle. I really want one of the red ones. But can't justify buying one when I have 2 black ones and there are several other razors I really want. The shovelhead is a decent razor for me and I will use it occasionally but it doesn't call to me the way others in my collection do. You should definitely give your Jr. A test drive. And if you see a good price on a baton handled razor I don't think you would regret it.
If you get a red one I may be a bit jealous.

Top Bottom