What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Today was shave #2 with the renowned Gem Junior Bar....
View attachment 954215
As with most GEM razors, putting a date on this beauty is somewhat difficult. According to my understanding of Wait's Compendium, this model of lather catcher made it's debut around 1907 and remained until 1910. After 1910 the body was changed a bit, and not long after that, the razors we call the Damaskeene's (first the open comb version, then the closed comb version) came on to the scene. It came with a case that appears in 1908, so I think of it as a 1909 (splitting the difference between 108 and 110.

The handle isn't original to this particular razor, but it did come from the same model Gem Jr Bar. This one came with an incorrect ASR handle (the type you see on later ASR 1912's), but I managed to find a GJB that was missing it's blade keeper (the "bar" in the Gem Jr Bar name) but still had it's wooden handle. This is a light razor (25 grams total -- 19 grams for the head and 6 for the handle. And while I neglected to get a length measurement, you can rest assured that this one is definitely on the short side.

Now for the shave. While I think the efficiency is decent (a 5 or 6 out of 10), the razor itself is incredibly mild. It is the mildest SE I've ever used....even more than the MMBT. The angle is incredibly easy to find, and even when I start hot-dogging it around my face, I never got a single weeper or nick. I know it can cut me (it is holding a razor blade), but it just feels almost impossible to inflict damage to myself. The lower efficiency (especially with a used blade), did mean that I needed to do a fair amount of buffing, but I ended up with a DFS+, and frankly, I love wielding this razor so much that I don't mind doing an extra pass or a heavy touchup.

I've heard many rave about this razor, and now I know why. It's beautiful to behold, fun to shave with, and my face feels good afterward -- not a hint of discomfort or irritation. This is the first SE I've used that I thought could be a daily driver. Okay, now I'm raving about this 110 year old GEM!!!

Here's today's SOTD photo:
1907-1910 GEM Junior Bar | Treet CS (8) | Green Mountain Soap (Green-Vetiver) [Soap not pictured, part of a pass-around, so no box] | Yaqi 24mm Mew Brown Synth | Krampert's Finest Frostbite A/S
View attachment 954219
Very Very nice old Gem lather catcher model, the workmanship is outstanding and time tells us it was built to last as it has.
Thanks for sharing the experience you are having with it.

Today was shave #2 with the renowned Gem Junior Bar....
View attachment 954215
As with most GEM razors, putting a date on this beauty is somewhat difficult. According to my understanding of Wait's Compendium, this model of lather catcher made it's debut around 1907 and remained until 1910. After 1910 the body was changed a bit, and not long after that, the razors we call the Damaskeene's (first the open comb version, then the closed comb version) came on to the scene. It came with a case that appears in 1908, so I think of it as a 1909 (splitting the difference between 108 and 110.

The handle isn't original to this particular razor, but it did come from the same model Gem Jr Bar. This one came with an incorrect ASR handle (the type you see on later ASR 1912's), but I managed to find a GJB that was missing it's blade keeper (the "bar" in the Gem Jr Bar name) but still had it's wooden handle. This is a light razor (25 grams total -- 19 grams for the head and 6 for the handle. And while I neglected to get a length measurement, you can rest assured that this one is definitely on the short side.

Now for the shave. While I think the efficiency is decent (a 5 or 6 out of 10), the razor itself is incredibly mild. It is the mildest SE I've ever used....even more than the MMBT. The angle is incredibly easy to find, and even when I start hot-dogging it around my face, I never got a single weeper or nick. I know it can cut me (it is holding a razor blade), but it just feels almost impossible to inflict damage to myself. The lower efficiency (especially with a used blade), did mean that I needed to do a fair amount of buffing, but I ended up with a DFS+, and frankly, I love wielding this razor so much that I don't mind doing an extra pass or a heavy touchup.

I've heard many rave about this razor, and now I know why. It's beautiful to behold, fun to shave with, and my face feels good afterward -- not a hint of discomfort or irritation. This is the first SE I've used that I thought could be a daily driver. Okay, now I'm raving about this 110 year old GEM!!!

Here's today's SOTD photo:
1907-1910 GEM Junior Bar | Treet CS (8) | Green Mountain Soap (Green-Vetiver) [Soap not pictured, part of a pass-around, so no box] | Yaqi 24mm Mew Brown Synth | Krampert's Finest Frostbite A/S
View attachment 954219

Interesting that you say it is light. I'm guessing its the popular or other wooden handle. Thank you for the shave description and history.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
BTW, Brother Fred, that Torrey Lather Catcher sold for $134.75.
Yep, I watched it and was out with the first bid of $99 -- I usually watch them to see them get relisted at a hopefully lower price, but that almost never happens with Lather Catchers, and especially the more rare/exotic ones. It was a beauty!!!

And yeah, once you get used to those heavier DE's or 60+ gram weights of the Micromatics, the 25 grams feels like shaving with air. Of course it's been a while since I've picked up (or weighed) my Schick E2, it probably weighs about the same as the GJB.

Flintstone65

Very Very nice old Gem lather catcher model, the workmanship is outstanding and time tells us it was built to last as it has.
Thanks for sharing the experience you are having with it.
Thanks Ron, I am in constant awe of how well things were built and how the functionality continues a century later.

I completely agree with your initial assessment of the MMCP -- I think GEM did a good job of keeping the efficiency high while toning down the aggression a bit from the MMOC. Also glad to hear that your blade is still in the game!

Can't say much about the brush....I know lots of folks that love the Boars (and the Badgers and Horses), but I'm strictly a synth guy -- which you probably figured out after all this time. I do like the handle -- do you know what it's made out of?

Not sure if this is boar. But I think the handle is maple. The thing is tiny though. Maybe I will let my son use it and give him a razor with no blade to practice with me. I just got a travel size tech I could clean up for him.

Flintstone65

Not sure if this is boar. But I think the handle is maple. The thing is tiny though. Maybe I will let my son use it and give him a razor with no blade to practice with me. I just got a travel size tech I could clean up for him.
Really good idea with the brush and the blade-less-tech for your son.

Demaskeen.jpg

Used my MMOC this morning.

Was a little nervous...I've found that on my Slim I like about a 4 or 5 and someone said the MMOC was similar to a 7.

I didn't think it was that aggressive but would say maybe a 6.

Definitely got a good shave but have a little lingering irritation.

Made short slow strokes and made sure to be careful with the angle. No irritation until the AGT so next time I might do alternating XTG passes.

Definitely will be in my rotation.

Flintstone65

My gold plated MMOC arrived yesterday. The door wasn't sticking while opening, so I gave it a hot tap water-dish soap bath overnight. Well........

View attachment 954698
View attachment 954699 View attachment 954700
Do you have any before photos? I'm doing some research now on that type of discoloration. I'll see what I can find. Setting the discoloration aside, your gold-plate looks mostly gone to me (at least on the head), and I think were dealing with the brass.

I've got some ideas, which I'll share after I've done a little more looking around, but I'm also really hoping that one of our other regulars will weigh-in. @jmudrick, @Twelvefret, @Ron R, @Tanuki and @GAW9576 -- have either of you run across this before? It's not a tarnish that I've seen before, but strikes me more as metal that's been overheated -- but I wouldn't think that water from a hot tap would be capable of being hot enough to? I've seen annealed brass get a rainbow effect, but that's from some fairly high heat with a heat gun or torch.

Flintstone65

Was a little nervous...I've found that on my Slim I like about a 4 or 5 and someone said the MMOC was similar to a 7.

Made short slow strokes and made sure to be careful with the angle. No irritation until the AGT so next time I might do alternating XTG passes.

Congrats on your first Micromatic shave, and welcome to the club!!! Alternating XTG passes in sensitive areas (for me it's the lower neck and upper lip) was my only recourse for 5 or 6 shaves. Once muscle-memory kicked in (which probably also had something to do with pressure), I was able to do some light ATG strokes in that area.

Overnight
Do you have any before photos? I'm doing some research now on that type of discoloration. I'll see what I can find. Setting the discoloration aside, your gold-plate looks mostly gone to me (at least on the head), and I think were dealing with the brass.

I've got some ideas, which I'll share after I've done a little more looking around, but I'm also really hoping that one of our other regulars will weigh-in. @jmudrick, @Twelvefret, @Ron R, @Tanuki and @GAW9576 -- have either of you run across this before? It's not a tarnish that I've seen before, but strikes me more as metal that's been overheated -- but I wouldn't think that water from a hot tap would be capable of being hot enough to? I've seen annealed brass get a rainbow effect, but that's from some fairly high heat with a heat gun or torch.

Yes I agree with you @Flintstone65 too hot water and soap for too long I suspect. I had this happen on an old Gillette three piece once. Doesn’t matter if it raw brass, but might destroy any lingering factory finish .

Definitely watch the pressure and the first and second shaves where a bit hash with new blades for me after that the blade seems much better and technique is on the upswing too. Keep us posted on your progress.

That looks really cool to me. I really want a gold plated MMOC but have a chrome MMOC. I personally wouldn't worry about it. But you could try the mildest clean up and move to more aggressive methods if you feel the need to remove it. Soaking in dawn dish detergent and light scrub with soft tooth brush would be mild. And hand polishing with bar keepers freind would be aggressive but bar keepers friend will remove all remaining gold plate. I intentionally did that on my Gillette Tech and love the results.

Flintstone65

Overnight

Yes I agree with you @Flintstone65 too hot water and soap for too long I suspect. I had this happen on an old Gillette three piece once. Doesn’t matter if it raw brass, but might destroy any lingering factory finish .
Did you polish it out or leave "as is"? From what I've read so far, the original brass-gold color can be brought restored with polish. I've been told multiple times that the gold-plating used on Micromatics was REALLY thin, so most of the "gold" ones I've ever seen have been shined up brass.

These are some before

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/attachments/bladeguard-jpg.954532/

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/attachments/bladeguard2-jpg.954533/

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/attachments/bladeguard3-jpg.954534/

The water wasn't that hot. I was able to stick my hand in it but hot enough I couldn't leave it in for a more than a few seconds. I doubt it kept hot for more than 1hr tops overnight. It was in a protein shaker that doesn't hold in heat.

Anyway I decided to hit it with more Scrubbing Bubbles and some of the rainbow effect is gone. Not all.

Did you polish it out or leave "as is"? From what I've read so far, the original brass-gold color can be brought restored with polish. I've been told multiple times that the gold-plating used on Micromatics was REALLY thin, so most of the "gold" ones I've ever seen have been shined up brass.
Yeah, just used some brass polish we had.

Flintstone65

These are some before

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/attachments/bladeguard-jpg.954532/

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/attachments/bladeguard2-jpg.954533/

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/attachments/bladeguard3-jpg.954534/

The water wasn't that hot. I was able to stick my hand in it but hot enough I couldn't leave it in for a more than a few seconds. I doubt it kept hot for more than 1hr tops overnight. It was in a protein shaker that doesn't hold in heat.

Anyway I decided to hit it with more Scrubbing Bubbles and some of the rainbow effect is gone. Not all.
I can't see the photos for some reason -- B&B gives me an error saying I don't "have permission for this action". I was curious to see what it looked like before the overnight.

I haven't run into this before, but I've never done an overnight soak. I agree the water temp seems like an unlikely culprit, especially if you could put your hand in it, and there's no way the heat wouldn't completely dissipate in a really short amount of time. Perhaps it was just the time spent in the water, I don't know. That said, if it were mine, I would use Flitz metal polish -- if you read a bit about it online, you'll see it's very mild. Much milder than Brasso and some other products, and definitely milder than Bar Keepers Friend / Bon Ami cleansers. If you like the way the handle is looking, you may just want to only polish the head. And by polish, I mean hand polish, no dremel tools or other mechanical polishing....just follow the directions of any polish you decide to use.

Oh yeah, Scrubbing Bubbles can discolor brass.
I haven't had this happen with any of my brass razors, but if SB with Bleach is used, I could potentially see it happening. And I wouldn't leave it on overnight (or even for more than 20 minutes or so); but that's not what you did.

I just don't have experience with overnight soaks -- although I have a Fatboy that I'm going to be doing that to because of a stuck adjustment knob. I do think the discoloration will come off -- I've been reading that even seriously annealed brass (hot temp to soften the metal to work it) which has a dark rainbow of discoloration, will polish off. I'm with @GAW9576 and like the look of brass, but I also know and understand that you can like the look of something and still not want to physically alter your new-to-you razor. Please keep us posted.

Top Bottom