What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday(ASR), OCtober 31 2022

Razor : Gem 1912, OC, Mfg 1912-15 OC model, excellent tame mid range, fairly rare to buy now a days, built to last for a 120 year old razor, very nice shave this morning and this razor performs stellar with a new blade. Very enjoyable shave to start the day.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) excellent sharpness, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle IMO.
Soap : Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood cream, nice Sandalwood scent with excellent lather qualities. Very similar to TOBS sandalwood scent wise.
Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space"24mm silver tip badger, Excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Very enjoyable brush!
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers=
[IMG]
Excellent shave with my Gem 1912 OC with a Gem coated blade.
[IMG]

Have some great shaves!

20221030_083958.jpg

Razor: Treet Baton Handle, black with red cap
Blade: Pal Carbon Steel Gem-type blade
Razor: Razorock Eco
Blade: Treet Black Beauty carbon steel
Brush: Made-Rite 500PB, Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: La Toja Shaving Stick
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented

Micromatic Halloween

BMMOC w/ RIGS / GEM PTFE (3)
Wacker Chevalier SR for neck stubble reduction
Mike's Natural Orange Cedarwood Black Pepper / bronze boar
Dickinson's witch hazel / Floid The Genuine

11F77333-146C-4F8C-B512-D9F86B98F7E4.jpeg

AE2F67DA-D112-4426-AC79-1285C7027C31.jpeg
So, I moistened the brush with witch hazel. I did have a great, close shave, but I am not crediting the witch hazel. If anything, it made face lathering a bit harder.

Happy Halloween!!

I’m participating in OCtober (Open Comb October), and I thought it fitting on this Micromatic Monday to pull out my Micromatic OC. I’m usually a little nervous about shaving with this aggressive razor, turns out I needed to mind something else. I posted my thumbnail slicing incident elsewhere:

Yes, still in, and second razor mishap in three days, and I haven’t even shaved yet!

***WARNING!!! GRAPHIC PHOTO***

I decided to strop my Gem blade on my Stag Sharpener. (No…wait for it…). Then decided to load blade into my Micromatic early. I wanted to test the mechanism after loading it. The cap is TTO, and it sometimes hangs up while opening it. It did. I pried it open with my thumb, and the blade caught it just below the nail, then made a left turn and continued cutting until nearly the top of the nail.
Slightly disturbing photo:

View attachment 1549294

(Hmmm, it asked if I wanted to insert a thumbnail; how did it know?)

Anyway, there is not much blood and not any pain, so far. I think I found the problem: there’s a little calcium on the sides of the cap, and the blade is hanging up on it. Soaking and scrubbing with Dove, but this may need an intervention: Vinegar.

View attachment 1549296

But all’s well that ends well! I got a great smooth shaving experience with Mike’s Barbershop Soap. I managed not to snag or open up the 3 day old cut on my chin, which was a surprise! A DFS for this final day of OCtober and Micromatic Monday. (Looking forward to NOCvember and my milder razors!)

Ron R

GEMonday, November 7th 2022

Razor : Gem junior 1912 with baton handle- Mfg 1943 variant, excellent tame mid range, the handle is very ergonomic in the hand for comfort and creates its own stand. Built to last and very enjoyable shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Razorock American barber, excellent barber shop scent 6-7strength + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Red Zebra" 26mm snow leopard knot, excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice gentle splay scrubber + excellent brush. Favorite synthetic brush and a very enjoyable lathering face feel for myself. Mixes all soaps no problem!
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock American barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Gem Jr 1912 with a Gem coated blade.
SOTD November 7 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

20221106_083856.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb Gold Bumpless
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Lather: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime
Additional Care:

I tried @Ron R 's trick, but instead of using a Gem blade spine I went with an old Injector blade blank. It did turn it down a notch or two in aggressiveness. I'm not sure if I like it better or not.

Ron R

View attachment 1553173
Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb Gold Bumpless
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Lather: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime
Additional Care:

I tried @Ron R 's trick, but instead of using a Gem blade spine I went with an old Injector blade blank. It did turn it down a notch or two in aggressiveness. I'm not sure if I like it better or not.
Thanks for the Treet carbon blades you sent me to try out and looks like the Trick or Treat week was a success. There would of been more views if the more folks where roaming B&B but for the last 2-3 weeks not as many folks viewing any of the shave forums I visit it seems. It happens every year where there are lulls in members viewing and then it picks up again.

Thanks for the Treet carbon blades you sent me to try out and looks like the Trick or Treat week was a success. There would of been more views if the more folks where roaming B&B but for the last 2-3 weeks not as many folks viewing any of the shave forums I visit it seems. It happens every year where there are lulls in members viewing and then it picks up again.
My pleasure, Ron. We had around ten participants, which is not so bad considering it was the first year. I think it's worth a try for next year. I surely have a good supply of black beauties now.

I gouged my chin a few days ago with a loose razor head and was going to skip my MM shave. But decided to give it a go, and I’m glad I did! I picked up my favorite Monday Razor, my Gem Jr 1912 series. My well stropped blade is performing like new on its 11th outing, the RIGs shim helps. After shaving with a more aggressive OC last month I confirmed once again that I get a lot better shave with my milder razors. I barely disturbed by wound and got a DFS!

Last edited:

Ron R

I gouged my chin a few days ago with a loose razor head and was going to skip my MM shave.

Hope you healing is still progressing well, loose razor head is a rarity but it can happen with a 3 pc or a the older rake type of razors.
I got a shallow gouge with just a sharp corner on a razor head and had to file those corners on a modern razor months ago. One of my favorite razors also and it had never given issues before with about 40+ shaves but it was operator error half asleep on my part.

Top Bottom