What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave, Tue, Aug 24th 2021

Razor: Everready 1924(AKA Shovel head),Mfg1924-33, great mid range, ER Steamline strop handle, loads from back.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) Excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside, mild scent, excellent lather qualities, great pricing.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard face.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor :001_wub: (Creed Aventis knockoff?)with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea Balm with HA.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:excellent shave with my Everready 1924 + a coated Gem blade.
ASR Shave ,Tue, Aug 24th.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I took a few months off from posting. Just wanted to report back in and say that I'm still trying out some SE razors that I bought way back in 2019 and early 2020,...pre pandemic times.

A big surprise that I wasn't expecting much from.....was the red baton handle Treet, with it's unique sort of combed safety bar., I've been getting some really great shaves with it. It looks really cool too, the red handle has like a darkened very vintage coloring and feel.

And for a weird little sidenote, mine has something rattling around in the handle, like BBs or buckshot lead balls or something. After using it I felt a strange calling to Allman Brothers and blues music and I started playing guitar again....it's been a few years.

Last edited:
Hello @GNR, Looking at the photo it looks like the left blade stop is barely touching the blade. Once the blade is clamped it will not move with the Micromatic regardless but thought I should mention it.
Yup, I didn’t have my glasses on. Looking at the pictures it looks like I didn’t have the blade centered exactly correct. This is the downside to my “Zero Dark Thirty” shave routine. I’ll have to strategically place my glasses by the sink when I hit the rack.
The saving grace for this mistake was/is that that BMMOC locks down tight, which saved my face.
Thanks for pointing it out. Learning has occurred…which sometimes us Old Jarheads are not very receptive too. LOL.

Micromatic Mon 30
Soap Arko Stick
Brush Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 13th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M Seville Splash
No nonsense good quality lather from the soap.
Shave with razor paired with the well-used blade was reasonably ok. While still smooth but definitely less efficient. Managed 3passes for a ccs to sas result and 1 tiny bump removed. The splash is really kinda mild...
20210830_095522.jpg

Razor: GEM 1912, chrome (nickel?) plated with the hexagonal(?) handle; circa 1928?
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (11)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger
Soap: Stirling Coniferous

Tonight's shave on 1+ days of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and no nicks or irritation. Perfect results.

The Gem Featherweight Deluxe is a fantastic mild yet efficient razor. And I love the scent and performance of the Novelist.

IMG_20210830_062352567-01.jpeg

I took a few months off from posting. Just wanted to report back in and say that I'm still trying out some SE razors that I bought way back in 2019 and early 2020,...pre pandemic times.

A big surprise that I wasn't expecting much from.....was the red baton handle Treet, with it's unique sort of combed safety bar., I've been getting some really great shaves with it. It looks really cool too, the red handle has like a darkened very vintage coloring and feel.

And for a weird little sidenote, mine has something rattling around in the handle, like BBs or buckshot lead balls or something. After using it I felt a strange calling to Allman Brothers and blues music and I started playing guitar again....it's been a few years.

I love my Baton handles, especially the red one. I had something rattling in one also. Like @Tanuki said the cap came off easily and some chunks came out.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, Aug 30th 2021

Razor: Gem Featherweight 1st Gen- Mfg 1950-52, 2nd Gen 1953-54, nice tame mid range, light weight, easy carefree shave today.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Razorock Lavender, nice scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm tuxedo knot, black marble handle, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm with HA.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= :a17: excellent shave with my Gem Feather weight with a coated blade.
SOTD,  Aug 30th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gem Micromatic Chrome Flying Wing
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
PSX_20200927_081756.jpg

I'm sentimentally attached:
D73C53A2-0F13-49CF-AC11-69C5843538F6.jpeg

9D5368D9-4CC9-4CA8-9BDA-89174C9BE67A.jpeg

Just the initials, town and date give this 1914 a personality. When I find a minty set I suspect (sometimes I know!) it was rejected by somebody. This one is well cared for, while also well used.

Early afternoon shave:
Pass 1: "Monday" from my seven day Wacker SR set
The rest: E-R 1914, a few years before its centennial
Blade: Gem PTFE (2), forearm stropped and flipped
Brush: Omega 10065
Soaps: Col Conk Lime for prep, Arko for shave lather
After: Richard's Rub

I'm shaving a lot of facial square inches that are seeing sunshine and blades for the first time in decades.

So, goodbye, already diminished summer beard. Hello, just shortish sideburns and a mere goatee. The mustache went, but I'm letting it grow right back.

Top Bottom