What's new

Micromatic Monday

Razor: GEM 1912, chrome (nickel?) plated with the hexagonal(?) handle; circa 1928?
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (9)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic, medium size
Soap: Tabac

Yesterday's shave on 2 days of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and no nicks or irritation. Perfect results again.

Micromatic Monday third Third Anniversay shave

A user BMMOC jumped out and interrupted my bike ride yesterday, so I finished the weeklong celebration with it, side-by-side with my trusty Shovelhead. The BMMOC cost me a whole T Jefferson (actually paid with two G Washington).

PAL Blue Carbon(6)
Arko stick
Ever-Ready boar re-knot (my latest)

View attachment 1302438
The Blue Carbon felt a little harsh after one month and 6 wet cycles. But that might be due to excess sun on my neck during yesterday's 30 miler.

If you have read this far, the BMMOC is available, free, to any regular poster to this thread. I don't need two. PM me, and if there are multiple responses I'll roll a die. If nobody wants it here, I'll probably get off my duff and get a real PIF thread underway.
That is a very generous offer! I already have a MMOC, so I must politely decline, but I strongly urge anyone without a MMOC to take advantage of this offer! It is one of the world's best razors ever.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
So I know our 3rd Anniversary has passed, but I've been thinking a lot about the friend and fellow shaver who encouraged me to make the leap from DE to SE, Twelvefret. I'm sure this story is memorialized somewhere, but I ran across Twelvefret when he was espousing another SE format -- the injector. He had posted on a thread about his love of the Schick E2 and he had posted a picture. I made my typical comment at the time, "cool looking razor....I'm going to have to try one of those one of these days". That simple statement turned into me receiving MULTIPLE PMs with various Schick E2's for sale. And one (which actually turned out to be an E3) was a "buy now" for $8, in a case. I actually thought, "I'll buy this thing and get this dude off my back" -- and so I did, but Twelvefret stayed on me like honey on Winnie the Pooh. He talked me through cleaning it, getting the blades, loading it, and then I swear he was metaphysically there helping me shave with it for the first time. Although that last part couldn't have happened, since I applied too much pressure and gave myself the worst razor burn I had ever experienced. Even with the awful razor burn, I had the closest shave I had ever gotten, and I was sold on learning the ways of the Schick. I still have that E3 -- it was my first injector, and remains my most efficient (and secretly my favorite, it will never leave my den).

While I was learning to use the Schick, Twelvefret had since discovered the joys of the GEM....and specifically, the Micromatic. Now it wasn't him dogging me, but rather me following after him like an eager puppy. And I enthusiastically bought and used my first GEM (an MMOC), which I absolutely, positively adored. I then did what I always do, I started tracking down and buying GEM-style razors (and repeaters, injectors, and injectomatics) like a man possessed....which I was.

I'm pretty lousy at keeping in touch -- blame it on my moving every 2 to 4 years as a military-brat, or just my "look, it's a squirrel!!!" personality which keeps me moving like a caffeine-addict on Excedrin -- regardless, I do often pause from time to time, and remember those who touched and improved my life. This thread was started by one of those people, but it continues to thrive by the posts, words, and acts of others who occupy the same part of me as Twelvefret does. Thank you my friends for....well....everything.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
So I know our 3rd Anniversary has passed, but I've been thinking a lot about the friend and fellow shaver who encouraged me to make the leap from DE to SE, Twelvefret. I'm sure this story is memorialized somewhere, but I ran across Twelvefret when he was espousing another SE format -- the injector. He had posted on a thread about his love of the Schick E2 and he had posted a picture. I made my typical comment at the time, "cool looking razor....I'm going to have to try one of those one of these days". That simple statement turned into me receiving MULTIPLE PMs with various Schick E2's for sale. And one (which actually turned out to be an E3) was a "buy now" for $8, in a case. I actually thought, "I'll buy this thing and get this dude off my back" -- and so I did, but Twelvefret stayed on me like honey on Winnie the Pooh. He talked me through cleaning it, getting the blades, loading it, and then I swear he was metaphysically there helping me shave with it for the first time. Although that last part couldn't have happened, since I applied too much pressure and gave myself the worst razor burn I had ever experienced. Even with the awful razor burn, I had the closest shave I had ever gotten, and I was sold on learning the ways of the Schick. I still have that E3 -- it was my first injector, and remains my most efficient (and secretly my favorite, it will never leave my den).

While I was learning to use the Schick, Twelvefret had since discovered the joys of the GEM....and specifically, the Micromatic. Now it wasn't him dogging me, but rather me following after him like an eager puppy. And I enthusiastically bought and used my first GEM (an MMOC), which I absolutely, positively adored. I then did what I always do, I started tracking down and buying GEM-style razors (and repeaters, injectors, and injectomatics) like a man possessed....which I was.

I'm pretty lousy at keeping in touch -- blame it on my moving every 2 to 4 years as a military-brat, or just my "look, it's a squirrel!!!" personality which keeps me moving like a caffeine-addict on Excedrin -- regardless, I do often pause from time to time, and remember those who touched and improved my life. This thread was started by one of those people, but it continues to thrive by the posts, words, and acts of others who occupy the same part of me as Twelvefret does. Thank you my friends for....well....everything.
Fred you sure can write a great story, your kind of gifted in that area of expertise. What I remember about Twelvefret was his knowledge of shaving from bumping along the different threads he was always positive and like collecting razor lots at antique stores and estate auctions. I remember he was going to mail me a few Gem blades while I was waiting for mine to come from Connaught shaving UK so there is a generous side to him also. He was on another forum for a while but I have not heard from him for some time.
Twelvefret lives on!

Fred you sure can write a great story, your kind of gifted in that area of expertise. What I remember about Twelvefret was his knowledge of shaving from bumping along the different threads he was always positive and like collecting razor lots at antique stores and estate auctions. I remember he was going to mail me a few Gem blades while I was waiting for mine to come from Connaught shaving UK so there is a generous side to him also. He was on another forum for a while but I have not heard from him for some time.
Twelvefret lives on!

I've been keeping in touch with Twelvefret. We text each other occasionally. I let him know that I would tell everyone he says HI. He's doing well and plans on using his Bumpless MMOC this coming Monday. I neglected to contact him before the anniversary and feel bad about that. It had been a little while since we had texted each other and I just wasn't sure if I should and was him hawking about it in my head. Then the actual anniversary day I was mowing my lawn and my riding mower cought fire. That thoroughly distract me and I even forgot to save that day. So I also forgot to contact him till after the next Monday. I was thinking about what to text him a little and he actually texted me to ask how things had been. Anyway I know sometimes we talk about him in a way that it may sound like he has passed on. I just wanted to let everyone know he's doing well and still enjoying his shaves.

From Twelvfret "Happy MIcromatic Monday and congratulations on three years of this thread. My kindest regards."

49CEB0A9-.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
MMOC, GEM PTFE (1)

Was supposed to use my barber razor (it’s got an orange handle and doesn’t care that I make fin edges when honing a razor), but had other plans.

I should have planned to go lighter. Thankfully, there’s next shave. Only, will I use a really fun razor or another really fun razor?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Aug2nd 2021

Razor: ASR Everready British 1912- Mfg 1936-53, excellent mid range, nice handle to grip, easy to work the face area.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(7) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Speick stick- nice spicy scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm tuxedo knot :001_wub: there is something about brush that is perfect for my face lathering, excellent lather generator. heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber, excellent painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: witch hazel + Lavada + a dollop of Nivea balm with HA.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 weeper=:a17:excellent shave with my ER 1912 with a coated Gem blade.
Brush collage July Aug2nd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

PSX_20210801_144415.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

I see England, I see France, I see New York and the upper peninsula of Michigan...

>Pass 1 Thiers-Issard Spécial Coiffeur
>Pass 2 Ever-Ready from across the pond (tip of the hat to @Ron R )
>PAL Blue Carbon (7) - final shave, time ran out on the carbon after a month in the rotation
>Ever-Ready 550 re-knotted boar
>Mama Bear's Haitian Vetiver soap
>alum and Stirling Vetiver witch hazel splash
E574BF48-DFB9-4FC2-80A4-C5E9F9ED4D34.jpeg

Very nice Micromatic Monday, gentlemen!

I see England, I see France, I see New York and the upper peninsula of Michigan...

>Pass 1 Thiers-Issard Spécial Coiffeur
>Pass 2 Ever-Ready from across the pond (tip of the hat to @Ron R )
>PAL Blue Carbon (7) - final shave, time ran out on the carbon after a month in the rotation
>Ever-Ready 550 re-knotted boar
>Mama Bear's Haitian Vetiver soap
>alum and Stirling Vetiver witch hazel splash
View attachment 1305834
Very nice Micromatic Monday, gentlemen!
You gave really good eyes!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday
shave 20210802_160004_2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (8 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Brut Classic

Superb Micromatic Monday shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Top Bottom