What's new

Micromatic Monday

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, chrome plated, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (20!!!)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic, medium size
Soap: Tabac

Perfect shave this morning on 1.5+ days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. No burning or irritation. I did finally notice slight cutting resistance today going ATG under the nose and above the upper lip, so I will probably bin the blade - but no complaints after 20 great shaves with this GEM blade!

I think I will load up a new GEM blade in my chrome 1912 for my next Micromatic Monday shave and give the MMOC a cleaning and a rest.

Razor: GEM 1912, chrome plated with the hexagonal(?) handle; circa 1928?
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (1)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic, medium size
Soap: Williams Mug Soap

Early Micromatic Monday shave, since I don't expect to shave tomorrow. Good shave this afternoon on one day of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, but I forgot to respect the GEM blade on its first use, when it is much sharper than on shave #20. This led to some burning and redness when I used a little pressure going ATG under the nose and resulted in a few painless and unfelt nicks on the neck and under the lower lip. On the positive side, the new blade mowed down the stubble effortlessly and quickly, and my face was smooth as glass afterwards.

I hadn't used Williams soap in several months, so I let it bloom in warm water for a few minutes before use. As expected, the resulting lather was slicker than ever, and it became invisible on my face after a few minutes (which happens sometimes with Williams) - but the lather was still there, helping the blade glide along and cut without resistance.

As far as GEM razors go, the 1912 almost ties the MMOC for first place with me. It gives me just as close a shave, and it provides more audible feedback when cutting whiskers. However, the 1912 doesn't fit as well under the nose because of the tab to open the razor head, and the MMOC usually provides me a more comfortable shave. But I might decide to use this 1912 razor for the life of this GEM blade (20 shaves or so?) to determine if it will dethrone the MMOC for me.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Jumped the gun, since I haven't posted here in a while & haven't noticed .. at any rate, MMOC with a SS GEM blade. Speick cream & old faithful Colonel did the software up .. finished with Tabac AS

DSC00157.JPG

Micromatic Mon 3rd SOTD
Soap Stirling Iced Pineapple
Brush Yaqi 24mm Green Mink
Razor GEM Clog Pruf
Blade GEM Stainless 7th
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Proraso Green Splash
Excellent soap choice for a hot humid day. Very nice cooling and fizzy pineapple scent. The lather was thickly creamy and very slick.
Shave with razor paired with the blade was smooth and comfortable in general except for the atg pass on the upper lips. Still managed 3passes without any issues for a bbs to dfs result. Further cooling from the aftershaves was awesome.
20210503_090132.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, May 3rd, 2021

Razor: GEM Micromatic clog Pruf(Peerless model 17nib S.B)- MFG 1945, excellent mid range, I get great shaves with this razor, easy to manipulate around the face.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Speick- triple milled, very nice mild spicy scent, great lather qualities + great post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm boar brush, it shed hairs at first and still gives up 1 or 2 hairs once in a while but it is my best feeling boar brush of my 2, a joy to use with a great break in procedure I used.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem Micromatic clog Pruf (Peerless, 17 nib S.B) with a coated Gem blade.
MMMonday, May3 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Razor: Gem Push-Button Gold
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20200607_095656.jpg

Fast shave, fast report. Got to get to the forest. Delayed by a last minute tennis date.
E-R 24 Shovelhead / Gem PTFE (2)
E-R 139 vintage badger knot / Old Spice in a stick
Florida Limeade badger blend AS
71ED9788-7A4D-4553-94E8-28374AB6F845.jpeg

Shaving fast, cutting corners - the sharpness that is Gem PTFE allowed me to significantly damage my beard line in an instant. :a52:

Oh, well. It grows back. Onward! It wil be back to normal before I get my latest vintage E-R brush fully cleaned up and truly shave-ready. It sports a tiny, extremely soft badger knot and lives in a small original storage case. Nice match for a tiny, extremely efficient razor.

Micromatic Monday
Clog Pruf Peerless (1 of 7, I can't count apparently). My oh my do I love this razor! It's why I can't help buying them when they pop up for 10 dollars on the auction site.

The blade gave up the ghost today, which was its 5th shave, spread out over the last 5 or so odd weeks. I think humidity is likely what did it in.
0503212047a~2.jpg

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Had a multi-menthol Micromatic Monday. Started off with Noxzema, had the MMOC paired with a fresh PTFE GEM, and ended with a homemade aftershave of heavily mentholated grain alcohol. Getting a little better at balancing comb and cap for shaving chin and upper lip.

Ron R

Micromatic Monday
Clog Pruf Peerless (1 of 7, I can't count apparently). My oh my do I love this razor! It's why I can't help buying them when they pop up for 10 dollars on the auction site.

The blade gave up the ghost today, which was its 5th shave, spread out over the last 5 or so odd weeks. I think humidity is likely what did it in.
View attachment 1261732
That is one great looking brush you have, nice 2band it looks to me. How is the Phoenix Bayrum after shave? I think I'm a Bayrum lover with the little I do have.

Ron R

A.S.Razor shave, May4th 2021

Razor: Everready 1914 (AKA-Little lather catcher)- MFG 1914-17,1st gen, mid range, one of the best ER A.S.R razors made IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(10) excellent blade, Very sharp, Great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Speick, excellent lather qualities, nice mild spicy scent.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm boar bristle- shed a lot first and has become a great brush to lather with IMO, soft tips + nice handle.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my ER 1914 LLC with a coated Gem blade.(hit my sweet spot target consistently)

ASRshave, May4th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

That is one great looking brush you have, nice 2band it looks to me. How is the Phoenix Bayrum after shave? I think I'm a Bayrum lover with the little I do have.
Thanks, John, the artist behind Grizzly Bay, calls it the fanchurian. I believe it's Manchurian Badger in 26mm, I quite like the fan shape.

I like PAAs take on Bay Rum, it's noticeably different than most and on first smell I wasn't sure I liked it. I'm quite fond of it now however.

thombrogan

Last night was Star Wars day, Taco Tuesday, and Micromatic Monday. MMOC on deck with a PTFE GEM on its second use and ARKO! softening my whiskers so that the Micromatic didn’t really need a blade.

So I left out some water from my lather — it built so fast I thought it was done — and regained undisputed mayorship of Scraped Face City…

“Lesson learned” is recklessly optimistic, but my shaves are so exciting I’ll have to water them down more to get through them.

thombrogan

More water, more Micromatic Monday majesty!

A so-so shave with only a tingle of alum on the right sideburn is better than a close shave with a highly reddened face, so w00t! w00t!

MMOC, PTFE GEM, ARKO!, 30mm Maggards synthetic brush, mentholated grain alcohol, victory!

Top Bottom