What's new

Micromatic Monday

@awa54 - I did what you and the little, green feller said and my shave was smoother and less damaging. Now to get to where it’s ever so barely cutting and still leaving no whisker untrimmed.

I still have to remind myself before the shave starts... it's also complicated by SE blades just having a different face feel than DE as well.

IMO, the early production (thicker base plate) Featherweight is the easiest of the Gem razors to start off on (haven't tried a G-bar yet), though the flying wing/bullet tip/safety bar Micromatic is significantly more forgiving than the MMOC as well.

If you progress to the point of never using the gentle guidance of the comb/safety bar all the Micromatics are pretty much identical, but it seems like I haven't quite made it there yet and when my concentration slips with the MMOC or Clog-Pruf, I wind up with even more of that "scraped over" feeling than I get from the MMFW.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If you progress to the point of never using the gentle guidance of the comb/safety bar all the Micromatics are pretty much identical

Hanging aspirations on that ideal. Might be getting my undeserving paws on a 1924 in the near future, but my Micromatic razors are the open comb and Clog Pruf and only MMOC receives regular furlough, so getting more smoov and less oof from the MMOC is my goal.

Happy Micromatic Patty's day! Pictured are some of the greenest in my collection. The flying wing comes in a green box!
0317212103a~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Micromatic Flying Wing (Ivory Bullet Tip) 1950
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (1st)
Brush: Yaqi - Purple Mink
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Taconic - Lavender (Glycerine/Hemp)
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Reserve - Lavender
Additional Care:
Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Lotion EX

6674739C-7A4E-4E44-8A91-5DD2E2554D5B.jpeg

Ivory Bullet Tip...the king of cool

Of all the Micromatics, the 1950 Ivory Tipped “Flying Wing” has got to be the coolest! “The Fonz” of razors! It just makes me want to shave wearing my black leather jacket.

I think it’s been over a year since I used one of my glycerin soaps. If I remember correctly I was using this very soap when I completed my first perfect BBS. It sure lathers up easily and smells real nice too.
First shave with this GEM PTFE, so you know it can sometimes be a little severe. I gave it 15 strops per side and shaved with the head laying perfectly flat against my face with so light of pressure I was almost lifting it off my skin.
Very nice, very smooth, very BBS with nice post shave feel.

“salutant te qui ad radi”

Micromatic Mon 22nd SOTD
Soap Stirling Hipster New 1st Use
Brush Yaqi 26mm Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Razor GEM Clog Pruf
Blade GEM Stainless 1st
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + TGS Abysso
Finally tested the last of the Stirling soap samples. Pleasant scent but perhaps below mild...would be better if stronger. The lather was creamy & slick!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was good. Reasonably smooth and comfortable during the 3passes for a dfs+ result and 1 micro creeper. Nice aftershaves. Rating 9.5/10
20210321_233755.jpg

20210322_071827.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, Mar 22nd 2021

Razor: Gem Junior bar- MFG 1907-11, excellent <midrange, very carefree shave & enjoyable. Very good audio feedback.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) very sharp, good longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea croap, nice scent, excellent lather qualities. good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm knot, excellent lather creator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice gentle scrub + good lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar with a coated Gem blade.

GEMonday, Mar 22nd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Hadn't used an SE in ages before today, but I packed my Clog Pruf along on a little trip as I thought time away from the daily routine might be an opportunity to take my time and get used to a neglected shaver.

I was rewarded with a delightful shave. I just repeat the mantra "zero pressure" as I shave, and the Clog Pruf does the rest.

20210321_094230.jpg

Razor: Ever-Ready 1911 Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Ever-Ready 250 Pure Badger Cased
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, chrome plated, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (17)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire

Great shave this afternoon on 2 days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. No burning or irritation, but a couple reopened nicks on the upper lip from Saturday's unpleasant shave.

@GAW9576 handled this shave for me.

Two superb razor handles arrived in today's mail. They paired nicely with the olivewood brush handle from the same artisan. I attached the Kampfe Star lather catcher heads using the adapters provided. And I tossed a guiding eye MMBT into the mix, for a closer finish than I have yet learned to obtain from the LC heads.

Ebony Gem Junior Bar style, dark copper acrylic with a longer reach:
FBE62F5D-42EC-4F8D-B13B-54D707580670.jpeg

Vintage Williams Mug tribute soap by SliceOfLife in the Old Spice mug. Blade is GEM stainless (PTFE?) corked and forearm stropped for shave 1. Cleaned up with alum and a bay rum mix of Captain's BR and Pinaud VIBR.
D5EFDBF6-4B73-40F7-85BE-AB7D0B44E4DA.jpeg

All three razors in the group shot:
23B042C5-2196-405A-B819-392231FE2EBE.jpeg

Let's acknowledge that the LC heads don't fit into the tight spaces as well as the MMBT.

Happy Monday!

Top Bottom