What's new

Micromatic Monday

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Tried some skin stretching over and beyond pointing my chin or making faces and, all of a sudden, my touch wasn’t light enough and my lather wasn’t slick enough. Even still, it was a Micromatic Monday shave. Stropped blade on polishing paper afterwards and anticipating next Micromatic Monday.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Mar 2nd 2021

Razor: Gem Featherweight 1st Gen - MFG 1950-52, Excellent <mid range, light weight 1OZ, easy carefree shave.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE, Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood - nice mild scent with excellent lather qualities + good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi Artic sky 24mm, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud soft tips with great scrub, excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Ogallala bayrum + sandal wood aftershave :001_wub: + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Gem 1st Gen Featherweight + a coated Gem blade.

SE SOTD, Tue,Mar 2nd 2021.jpg

Have some Great shave! Stay & think safe in these times!

thombrogan

The edge apex of the Personna PTFE GEM blade is steeper than I envisioned, but I still managed to round it over while stropping. #winning. Shaved indecisively here and there and tugged many other whiskers instead of cutting them. Alum didn’t sound any alarms.

Shiny, dull GEM ceremoniously lowered into the blade mausoleum/forbidden apple juice bottle and a new GEM loaded into the MMOC. Will strop the edges some other time. At a higher angle than my brain perceives as acute. Maybe an ugly angle.

Razor: Treet - Baton Handle (Brown)
Blade: GEM - Carbon (7)
Brush: Yaqi - Aqua Tuxedo
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Zingari Man - The Duo (BBS Live)
Aftershave: Arsenal Grooming - Retro Man
Additional Care:
Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Lotion EX

79D99CEB-3C9D-4930-BE5B-5D4CABDB571C.jpeg

Having a Brown Out
Same model Treet razor as my last shave, except this one has a brown handle. The same GEM Carbon blade also, so you can easily deduce that my shave was pretty much the same as the last one. I gave it the usual ten strops per side.

This soap has slickness, but doesn’t retain the residual glide of most of the lathers I’ve been using. I usually do a bit of back and forth, multi directional strokes on my neck, so I had to remember to keep slapping on more lather to retain glide. A little more work and consideration, but got my BBS without any irritation.

“salutant te qui ad radi”

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, chrome plated, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (14!)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger
Soap: Cella, in the red tub
Rating: 10

Perfect shave again this morning on 2 days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. No nicks, burning, or irritation. Blade is still going strong after 14 shaves; I will try to stretch it to 20 before replacement.

thombrogan

A Micromatic Open Comb and Personna PTFE GEM provided another Micromatic Monday night’s shave. In hindsight, I should’ve made an Arko Santa beard, hopped in the shower, and left it at that because I ran myself ragged all day, but I’m less stubbly…

Stropped at a steeper angle (holding off until I was ready to try again of course…) and looking forward to next time.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I finally found a Damaskeene OC at a reasonable price. It's been some time since @Ron R sent me back out into the cold, dark night to hunt one down.
View attachment 1231869
Looks like a nice one, should give you years of enjoyment. That is the razor IMO that took GEM MFG to new heights of prosperity for owners and employees for decades. Competition was fierce and good products helped them, later 1912 models had small improvements and also gave a reason for clients to buy a newer model. :thumbup:

thombrogan

Friday ended, but it was Micromatic Monday night right before bed. Have MMOC will travel!

As though hearing my desperate promise to not try stropping the blades after use for a while, the PTFE GEM drew no blood even though my greed led to slight alum sting on my neck.

Hadn‘t had a Micromatic Monday night shave since the end of Thursday, so it was good to be back!

Top Bottom