What's new

Micromatic Monday

I had a fun shave with my 1900 Star today.

IMG_20210222_130122110_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20210222_130213459_HDR~2.jpg

Well, I didn’t need to shave today, so I did my Micromatic Monday shave on Sunday with my new Ever-Ready 1914.
Five minutes ago the courier delivered another Ever-Ready 1914 to my waiting hands. (When it rains it pours)
So I guess this is my announcement of a 1914 Micromatic Tuesday shave in the morning.
E74FD300-5958-432F-9E30-08A885FDBABC.jpeg

Hello Greg, you don't see many all brass regular Clog pruf razors, actually that is the first one I have seen( they are usually coated). Glade you enjoyed the Peerless model Clog Pruf, I also enjoy mine.
That’s the very same thing I was thinking when I saw the photo.
Now I need to get one too.
Oops. I spoke to soon. I just did a quick search on eBay and found a few all brass regular (12 teeth) Clog Prufs.

Oddly enough I believe I have 2 of them.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Tue, Feb 23rd 2021

Razor: Everready 1924(AKA Shovel head)MFG 1924-33, excellent mid range>,different way of loading a Gem blade(base plate level works for myself)I can receive very close shaves with the 1924 without to much drama. I enjoy using this once in a while!
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity & predictable.
Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian sandal wood- nice scent with good lather qualities. Good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm black marble handle :001_wub: - excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tip, nice scrub & lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 2 small chin weepers =:a17:excellent shave with my ER 1924 with a coated gem blade.

DE SOTD, Tue, Feb 23rd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Micromatic Tuesday
Razor: Ever-Ready - 1914 (Little Lather Catcher)
Blade: GEM - Carbon (4)
Brush: Yaqi: Barber Pole 30mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Tabac Original
Aftershave: Taconic Unscented (Balm)

D774E30A-E448-4B83-A6C6-6BB3F20DDD15.jpeg

Deja Vu all over again

This is my second shave in a row with an Ever-Ready 1914, but two different razors. I kinda got caught up in my eBay bidding, but that’s another story.
My first observation is that a tarnished and scratched up 1914 shaves exactly the same as a nice shiny one.
I got another super duper close BBS from that GEM Carbon blade. These suckers are sharp like their SS PTFE cousins and get more face friendly as you use them. Luckily I have the means to lay a strop on my carbons and PTFEs whereas most users rely on their faces to do the stropping for the first three or four shaves. None the less, I can feel that super close shave (glow) all over my face. (I wonder if this is anything like a spa face peel?)

I hadn’t had my giant 30mm Yaqi out for a while, but it was a lot of fun for a Tabac face lathering.

Since I have two ER 1914s, I think I’d like to find a baton handle to use on one of them.

“salutant te qui ad radi”

I know it’s Wednesday, hopefully this will be acceptable! 😬😁
SOTD
Razor: GEM MMOC (bumps)
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: 26mm Timberwolf
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Venture
This was my first time using the MMOC. Very close and smooth shave. Went with the recommended shallow angle and was rewarded with a great shave. I may have made a tactical error trading for one of these while on sabbatical. I fear I may fall down another rabbit hole wanting to try more of these razors! I was thoroughly impressed with this razor today! Question, what’s the difference other than OC and SB between the MMOC, MMCP, and bullet tip? I believe I’m getting my acronyms correct. Have a great day y’all!
9FEB61E8-5FDD-4C9F-A520-743BEBAA3DE0.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Question, what’s the difference other than OC and SB between the MMOC, MMCP, and bullet tip? I believe I’m getting my acronyms correct. Have a great day y’all!
When I was learning and trying to set the aggression & efficentcy on the different models I made a quick reference and should get you in the ball park, the Gem G Bar was my first razor used and so the results might be off for some but for a greenhorn with Gem razors this where I thought it should be, now I could crank out better efficentcy out of the Gem G bar with a few years use & knowledge.
Gem controlled aggression & efficiency by different thickness and shape of top caps on a lot of their 1912 model and later different models. I measured blade gaps on a lot of models and found similar gaps.
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

When I was learning and trying to set the aggression & efficentcy on the different models I made a quick reference and should get you in the ball park, the Gem G Bar was my first razor used and so the results might be off for some but for a greenhorn with Gem razors this where I thought it should be, now I could crank out better efficentcy out of the Gem G bar with a few years use & knowledge.
Gem controlled aggression & efficiency by different thickness and shape of top caps on a lot of their 1912 model and later different models. I measured blade gaps on a lot of models and found similar gaps.
View attachment 1227971 View attachment 1227972
Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!
Thank you so much! That is super helpful!

I know it’s Wednesday, hopefully this will be acceptable! 😬😁
SOTD
Razor: GEM MMOC (bumps)
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: 26mm Timberwolf
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Venture
This was my first time using the MMOC. Very close and smooth shave. Went with the recommended shallow angle and was rewarded with a great shave. I may have made a tactical error trading for one of these while on sabbatical. I fear I may fall down another rabbit hole wanting to try more of these razors! I was thoroughly impressed with this razor today! Question, what’s the difference other than OC and SB between the MMOC, MMCP, and bullet tip? I believe I’m getting my acronyms correct. Have a great day y’all!View attachment 1227956

@Flintstone65 has stated in the past that as long as it uses a Gem style blade and was made by one of the American Safety Razor family of brands Gem, Ever Ready, Star or Treet forgive me if I'm forgetting any, it is welcome hear every day of the week. So yes it is undoubtedly welcome here.

@Flintstone65 has stated in the past that as long as it uses a Gem style blade and was made by one of the American Safety Razor family of brands Gem, Ever Ready, Star or Treet forgive me if I'm forgetting any, it is welcome hear every day of the week. So yes it is undoubtedly welcome here.
Much appreciated! Thank you! I’m looking forward to using and learning how to use this razor better!

Micromatic Thursday

Razor: GEM Feather Weight
Blade: GEM - Carbon (5)
Brush: Spiffo - D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD-Fan) 24mm
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Skin EX (Toner)
Additional Care:
Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Lotion EX

A933CE19-C43F-487D-BE7C-0A562277F9B4.jpeg

Feather Weight punching above its class
For some reason I’ve been looking forward to this shave for a week but had a couple of new 1914s that distracted me. When you have a large rotation of razors, some like my Feather Weight, tend to get missed in the shadows.
Not only was I all hyped for my Feather Weight shave, but I was curious to see how it compared to the 1914s with the GEM Carbon blade. Even though it’s known as a mild shaver I took great care in keeping focused, and trying to shave with as little pressure as possible just to see how it would react.

Well “blow me down”. I was rinsing my face before the third pass, and I was already a total BBS. Even my neck!😯

Gentle 🪒 + Carbon blade = 2 pass BBS ❤
Im also pretty sure that if I was only allowed to own one shaving soap...this would be the one!

Much appreciated! Thank you! I’m looking forward to using and learning how to use this razor better!

@ouchyfoot is right on with this post. Near ZERO pressure is a magical thing. I'll talk more about this in my next post about yesterday's shave. Hope this helps.

Micromatic Thursday

Razor: GEM Feather Weight
Blade: GEM - Carbon (5)
Brush: Spiffo - D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD-Fan) 24mm
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Skin EX (Toner)
Additional Care:
Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Lotion EX

A933CE19-C43F-487D-BE7C-0A562277F9B4.jpeg

Feather Weight punching above its class
For some reason I’ve been looking forward to this shave for a week but had a couple of new 1914s that distracted me. When you have a large rotation of razors, some like my Feather Weight, tend to get missed in the shadows.
Not only was I all hyped for my Feather Weight shave, but I was curious to see how it compared to the 1914s with the GEM Carbon blade. Even though it’s known as a mild shaver I took great care in keeping focused, and trying to shave with as little pressure as possible just to see how it would react.

Well “blow me down”. I was rinsing my face before the third pass, and I was already a total BBS. Even my neck!😯

Gentle 🪒 + Carbon blade = 2 pass BBS ❤
Im also pretty sure that if I was only allowed to own one shaving soap...this would be the one!

Top Bottom