What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thur, Dec3rd 2020, A razor from the ASR family of companys!

Razor: Star Bar #4 lather catcher(Kampfe brothers Brooklyn Ny)- Mfg- 1920, excellent lather catcher, Excellent daily driver, mid range< , One of the best razors of all my razors vintage & modern. Star brand=Kampfe brothers first safety razor Mfg in USA.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) excellent blade, very sharp with great longevity and predictable & smooths out nicely.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea- nice scent and excellent lather qualities when loaded properly.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm- 1st use. Excellent knot for myself, gentle scrub with heavenly cloud like soft tips. It is a nice brush for a daily shaver like myself IMO.
Pre Shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my 1920 Star bar #4 with a coated Gem blade.

SE SOTD, Thur, Dec3rd 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

I recently received two new (to me) GEM razors; a dark handled, Gen. 2, Featherweight, and a GEM Junior Lather Catcher. Since I wasn't to try the LC tomorrow, that meant today was a Featherweight GEM-Sunday for me.

PXL_20201206_170642952-01.jpeg

New (to me) GEM Featherweight /GEM Persona SS PTFE
Arko Stick
Heritage Collection Klenzo
Pinaud Clubman

The Featherweight appears to be a Gen. 2. And the handle appears to actually be gray or even silver (if that's a thing) rather then the black I first reported. In any case it provided a very smooth and comfortable shave.

The razor is definitely on the mild side so I was whipping it around with complete abandon. But the result, so long as I paid attention to angle, was a total BBS. Zero feedback from either the alum or the AS.

On to the Lather Catcher for tomorrow's GEMonday...

Ron R

I recently received two new (to me) GEM razors; a dark handled, Gen. 2, Featherweight, and a GEM Junior Lather Catcher. Since I wasn't to try the LC tomorrow, that meant today was a Featherweight GEM-Sunday for me.

View attachment 1191561
New (to me) GEM Featherweight /GEM Persona SS PTFE
Arko Stick
Heritage Collection Klenzo
Pinaud Clubman

The Featherweight appears to be a Gen. 2. And the handle appears to actually be gray or even silver (if that's a thing) rather then the black I first reported. In any case it provided a very smooth and comfortable shave.

The razor is definitely on the mild side so I was whipping it around with complete abandon. But the result, so long as I paid attention to angle, was a total BBS. Zero feedback from either the alum or the AS.

On to the Lather Catcher for tomorrow's GEMonday...
Good to see you having some fun with your new Gem razors, I have a second Gen Featherweight head on my G bar, they are the same head IMO but just on a different handle. With a new blade I can crank out some excellent shaves also. I'm glade your enjoying your ASR shaves. I just recently ordered a AC KAI clone with Clone blades and thought it would change up my shave routine a little(not another rabbit hole I hope.)🤞
This hobby has got me a lot of different razors over the last 3+years and really enjoy it.

Mon 7th Micromatic Monday SOTD
Soap RazoRock Mudder Focker
Brush Yaqi 24mm Heavy Metal Tuxedo
Razor GEM Clog Pruf
Blade GEM Stainless 3rd use
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic
TGS Abysso
Used leftover lather from yesterday. Amazingly still able to lather up into a full thick, creamy and slick awesome goodness!
Shave with razor paired with blade was very smooth and comfortable. Able to do 3 multiple passes for a between bbs to dfs result but at the expense of 2 weepers. Excellent shave including post & aftershaves. Rating 9.5/10
20201207_071335.jpg

I'm heading for another Shovelhead shave. This razor is new to me, from @NoScrubs via B/S/T. As is typical of NoScrubs, it is in beautiful shape. This 1924 is the first one I have of the long necked variety, with a long handle (for a Shovelhead). So this almost approaches a typical 1912 in overall height.

It is a good thing I've PIFed a few Shovelheads away. They just seem to reach out to me these days, as 1912s did for a while.

Headed for and found it! I really need to go back and hit the post reply button after an interruption...

Long neck E-R 1924 Shovelhead
Gem PTFE (3)
Old Spice in a stick
Solid Set reknotted vintage boar

Two passes, 6 day stubble gone! I am re-setting my beard lines for winter. The Shovelhead is a perfect tool. Some subtle differences between the long and short necked varieties. The shaves are all precise and excellent.
37372293-43AF-43DB-81AF-83AF33EA24DF.jpeg

0FEB3B21-6DA4-400F-AACC-B64A970467F5.jpeg

Ron R

MMMonday, Dec7th, 2020

Razor: MicroMatic Clog Pruf (Peerless model 17 nib S.B)-Mfg 1945, excellent mid range, nice shave as usual with the MicroMatics.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity+ smooths out nicely as used over time, Predictable.
Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside- mild scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow with brown whiskers 26mm- excellent lather creator, has nice backbone for scrub + cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush washed my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my MMCP with a coated gem blade.
MMMonday, Dec7th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Dec 7th - SOTD/MMM

GEM MMOC / Personna GEM (12th - I think, and last, feels a bit dull)
Stirling Christmas Eve / RR 26mm Monster
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Stirling Christmas Eve Balm
Couple Squirts of Aspen Cologne

Results: BBS after 3 passes, and a bit of touch up. I think this blade is about done, as it struggled at times, smooth, but dull feeling.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf (silver) 1940-1943
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (6)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Carrot Handle Synthetic(26mm)
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood
Aftershave: Fine - American Blend
Additional Care:
Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood Luxury Gel

A3AC2ECC-DB52-427E-9FA9-0EC38F11F226.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Micromatic Monday
A GEM PTFE SE blade on its sixth shave paired up with a Micromatic ClogPruf will give you about as good a shave as it gets.
I hadn’t used my TOBS cream for so long, I almost forgot how pleasant it is. Whips up a lather just as easily as “kiss my hand”, and has a nice comforting scent. A synthetic brush pairs up quite nicely, and together all of today’s gear combined for a fine start to my day.

Keep an eye on your nose

Last edited:
Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, chrome plated, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (1)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger
Soap: Tabac - even more awesome when bloomed with hot water!

My return to Micromatic Monday after a hiatus from GEM razors due to travel... Excellent morning shave on two days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. No irritation, but a few minor nicks under the lower lip (which has happened with all razors that I have used over the past week - I think I need to skip this area until it heals) and under the chin. This was an exceptionally smooth shave when considering that I used a fresh GEM blade, which are notoriously rough on the first shave.

I am consistently surprised by the fact that this MMOC is the smoothest GEM razor model for me, yet the milder G Bar feels harsh. Unsolved mystery. Maybe I am just lucky or am unknowingly using correct technique.

GEMonday for me today.
PXL_20201207_153536340-01.jpeg

New (to me) GEM Junior / GEM Persona SS PTFE
XPEC Original
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
4711 AS and EdC

Loving this new razor! The handle is more substantial and "solid" feeling than the two-part, knobby long handle. It's shorter, and has more traditional knurling. Much more comfortable to use and a less "head-heavy" feel.

DFS/BBS in three glorious passes this morning.

PSX_20200927_081756.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Chrome Flying Wing
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

Is the safety bar different from the GEM/ER 1912s? It looks different in your photo. Thanks.

They are different bars. I was checking the @GAW9576 photo myself, as recently picked up a green baton Treet.
Treet = solid safety bar studded with low teeth
GEM/ER = pierced/open safety bar (all models including 'Junior', non-Junior, all handles, plus my only Star 1912 has the open tooth bar)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday
20201207_120234~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (5 and retired)
Brush: Zenith B24 Wenghe Wood Handle (24mm x 52mm Boar Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Aftershave: RazoRock Nomad

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Outstanding shave! :)

Top Bottom