What's new

Micromatic Monday

I'm sure this question has been covered a good few times before, but I haven't found that discussion yet...

What are the differences between OC, Clog Pruf and non-clog pruf safety bar versions of the Micromatic, aside from the obvious variations in the comb/bar designs?

I have only ever shaved with a Junior (1912 pattern?), but like it enough that I snagged a plastic handled razor with safetybar (G-bar?) and a MMOC off that auction site, both look to be in excellent condition, but I'll report back when they actually arrive.

I'm sure this question has been covered a good few times before, but I haven't found that discussion yet...

What are the differences between OC, Clog Pruf and non-clog pruf safety bar versions of the Micromatic, aside from the obvious variations in the comb/bar designs?

I have only ever shaved with a Junior (1912 pattern?), but like it enough that I snagged a plastic handled razor with safetybar (G-bar?) and a MMOC off that auction site, both look to be in excellent condition, but I'll report back when they actually arrive.
Like most others in the industry they got progressively milder. The G-bar was all metal, so I am guessing you got either a Featherweight or a Push-Button.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

The differences are they shave a little different IMO or feel different depending on safety bar designs IMO. I'm not sure this answers your question or interest in Gem razors.
Additional information on GEM Razors!Gem Razor Models - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-razor-models.554376/page-29
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Like most others in the industry they got progressively milder. The G-bar was all metal, so I am guessing you got either a Featherweight or a Push-Button.

Thanks!

Featherweight I think...

So which MMs came first? And did later production razors of the same model get milder, or just models designed more recently were milder?

Thanks!

Featherweight I think...

So which MMs came first? And did later production razors of the same model get milder, or just models designed more recently were milder?
Have a peek at this chart.

MM gotta ride the dragon

MMOC / GEM PTFE (7)
Barbasol Sensitive

8EA37492-50BC-47DE-B40F-734E97CF2924.jpeg

Clearly a one and done razor for some guy.
One used GEM MICROMATIC SINGLEDGE BLADE in the USED BLADES.
Three SINGLEDGE and one DOUBLEDGE wrapped and waiting fruitlessly in the NEW BLADES.

I hope to give it the loving home it never experienced. Today, however, there is that dragon ravaging the land and I'm riding out to do battle. The LOTH is freaked. I never saw so much armor. Just need to put my lance in the minivan and I'm outta here.

Wrote this in the a.m. B&B went down for maintenance. 14 hours later my self-dramatizing prose was still waiting to be posted!

I can now report that the LOTH's mother is covid negative (yay!) but admitted for observation. Long day, wearing exam gloves and an N95 mask for a full 8 hours of it. The folks who do that every day... wow. Dedication.

Razor- Push Button
Blade- Blue Star (~4th use)
Soap/cream-
a delicious mix of Razorock P160, Castle Forbes Lime, and Hershey Shaving Cream.
Brush- cheap Omega Boar. My Fav.
Thayers and a little Nivea moisurizer to follow.

4 plus passes. I really wanted to chase the BBS to see what that would be like. I’m new to using GEMs.
6DCCFC54-C907-4046-882D-B3DE79CBDB23.jpeg

MM gotta ride the dragon

MMOC / GEM PTFE (7)
Barbasol Sensitive

View attachment 1170767
Three SINGLEDGE and one DOUBLEDGE wrapped and waiting fruitlessly in the NEW BLADES.

I hope to give it the loving home it never experienced. Today, however, there is that dragon ravaging the land and I'm riding out to do battle. The LOTH is freaked. I never saw so much armor. Just need to put my lance in the minivan and I'm outta here.

Wrote this in the a.m. B&B went down for maintenance. 14 hours later my self-dramatizing prose was still waiting to be posted!

I can now report that the LOTH's mother is covid negative (yay!) but admitted for observation. Long day, wearing exam gloves and an N95 mask for a full 8 hours of it. The folks who do that every day... wow. Dedication.

Glad to hear that she’s ok! Amd that you found that great, hardly used GEM

Thank you - then it's settled! I will look for a Featherweight Deluxe next instead of the Pushbutton or Contour.

Good choice.

ah, thank you. Do they make a difference in the shave?

The bumps were added to accommodate the a double-edged gem blades. Because they were sharp on both sides they did not have the back spine to lift the back of the blade for the proper saving angle. So the bumps raise the back of the blade up. When you're using a gem Blade with a spine the bumps never really come into play much. So the shaves should be the same with or without the bumps.
Tanuki conveniently posted his recent acquisition that includes one of the Doubledge blades. It's in the quoted post below.
Another gentleman recently tryed one out. Sorry I don't have time to dig and find that post to give credit. It may have been on a different forums.

MM gotta ride the dragon

MMOC / GEM PTFE (7)
Barbasol Sensitive

View attachment 1170767

Beautiful razor. Congrats on the great find.
Glad to hear the mrs. Is in the clear for covid. Hope she is back to 100% soon.

The bumps were added to accommodate the a double-edged gem blades. Because they were sharp on both sides they did not have the back spine to lift the back of the blade for the proper saving angle. So the bumps raise the back of the blade up. When you're using a gem Blade with a spine the bumps never really come into play much. So the shaves should be the same with or without the bumps.
Tanuki conveniently posted his recent acquisition that includes one of the Doubledge blades. It's in the quoted post below.
Another gentleman recently tryed one out. Sorry I don't have time to dig and find that post to give credit. It may have been on a different forums.

thanks for the explanation! And I think that was me with the double edged GEM blades, lol. They’re pretty cool, but I think it was dulled. It was a tug-a-thon! I nearly ended my GEM razor tryouts before really getting started. Fortunately, people quickly swooped in and suggested not to use 60+ year old blades, lol.

thanks for the explanation! And I think that was me with the double edged GEM blades, lol. They’re pretty cool, but I think it was dulled. It was a tug-a-thon! I nearly ended my GEM razor tryouts before really getting started. Fortunately, people quickly swooped in and suggested not to use 60+ year old blades, lol.

Well now I can give credit were credit os do. @honeybadger79. Used a Doubledge the other day. You should ask him what he thought of it. :lol:
I don't think it went that well.
I've wondered about those blades. I tried one vintage blade. It was similar to your experience. I looked at the edge of another NOS vintage blade under a microscope and could se why. It was pitted and looked like some microscopic Critter had taken a bunch of flights out of the edge.

Top Bottom