What's new

Micromatic Monday

Long handles are not my preference, so thanks for mentioning the Contour's handle length.

Photographic evidence:
CABB99D9-93E0-445C-A881-085C4F738114.jpeg

It is coated with Teflon but most other Mfg's call it PTFE because it is trade marked "Teflon" from my understanding.
Lots of blades use Teflon for a coating like my Gillette GSB DE blades or Wilkinson sword DE blades.
The SS means Stainless steel, almost forgot that part.

What he said.

Thanks! Ok, I do have some of those. Thanks for the idea. After a handful of blade uses with the push button, I’ll try the Clog Pruf again with that blade

Also the Clog-Pruf and MMOC may be more enjoyable as you get used to the SE format. I believe the blue star blades are carbon steel. I haven't had much luck with carbon blades. Stainless blades on the other hand have been great.
If the first shave with a new blade is still a bit to harsh you can cork the blade. It's a simple process, you just very lightly cut into a cork or even a piece of Styrofoam like a packing peanut. Be sure you run the entire cutting-edge through.

Happy Saturday! Has anyone out there tried a G-Bar, Pushbutton, and Contour/Contour II? If so, how do the shaves compare? I have a G-Bar, so I am curious about the comparison, since the heads of all three look similar in photos. Thanks.

I have the G-bar, Pushbutton and Contour. I actually greatly prefer the Pushbutton. But then again I prefer the handle length of the Pushbutton. The Contour and Pushbutton should shave the same but for some reason I still get better shaves with the PB. And oddly I prefer the Featherweight Deluxe over the PB even with the shorter handle. Go figure.

What he said.

Also the Clog-Pruf and MMOC may be more enjoyable as you get used to the SE format. I believe the blue star blades are carbon steel. I haven't had much luck with carbon blades. Stainless blades on the other hand have been great.
If the first shave with a new blade is still a bit to harsh you can cork the blade. It's a simple process, you just very lightly cut into a cork or even a piece of Styrofoam like a packing peanut. Be sure you run the entire cutting-edge through.

I have the G-bar, Pushbutton and Contour. I actually greatly prefer the Pushbutton. But then again I prefer the handle length of the Pushbutton. The Contour and Pushbutton should shave the same but for some reason I still get better shaves with the PB. And oddly I prefer the Featherweight Deluxe over the PB even with the shorter handle. Go figure.
What he said.

thank you for the suggestions! Now I have a few more trails to walk :)

I’ll continue with this Blue Blade for a bit aa it’s going well in the PushButon for me. Then i’ll walk a mile with the SS

Thank you - then it's settled! I will look for a Featherweight Deluxe next instead of the Pushbutton or Contour.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thank you - then it's settled! I will look for a Featherweight Deluxe next instead of the Pushbutton or Contour.
Myself, for just the shave, I really enjoy the Featherweight a little more than the PB. It is a light razor and it is very nimble and with the right amount of light pressure and technique it sure gives a nice great shave. The deluxe is a first generation type mostly from my observations which is a little more efficient than 2nd generation Featherweights IMO because the 2nd Gen caps have a deeper cap.
...(L) 2nd generation Featherweight...........................(R) 1st Generation Featherweight. Courtesy of @Droo78
GEM Cap Styles 2 (2).JPG

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Micromatic Monday Approaches...it's still OCtober, so it'll probably be an OC Damaskeene for me. How about you? What will your Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) shave be? Remember that all GEM, Ever-Ready, Treet or Star SE razors are welcome.

MacaRoot Mon 19th SE 4th SOTD
Cream MacaRoot & Aloe
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 4th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water & Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic & MacaRoot Aloe Gel
Nice pleasant lather from the cream. More than required.
4th shave with this SE razor paired with blade is much more smoother and comfortable especially for wtg & atg. Not so for atg....as can feel the blade is kinda skipping rather than cutting cleanly. All in it was an enjoyable 3passes with DFS+ results. Better than the previous shave with same razor and blade. Good post and aftershaves. Rating 9/10
20201018_234049.jpg

20201019_070428.jpg

An MMOC, sans bump, for me, Fred. It was coming up in the rotation anyway, but you guys got me in the mood last Monday.
Since I'm not lucky enough to have an OC Damaskeen it will be the Bumpless MMOC for me again tomorrow. It sounds kind of repetitive, but since the MMOC is such a great razor it's no hardship at all.

If I'm a OCtober purist, I'll have to use an MMOC again. I have a hankering for a Shovelhead, but rules are rules, and I'm also OC Damaskeeneless. My third MMOC is my cased bumpy chrome one. Early fast shave tomorrow...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, OCtober19th,2020

Razor:Gem Damaskeene open comb- MFG 1912-15, Excellent milder mid range, good daily driver. They got it right 108 yrs ago IMO.
Blade:Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) Still manufacturing, Remnants of A.S.R. Corp umbrella of different shaving Companies.
Soap: Tabac- excellent lather qualities with a clean mild flowery scent.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 plissoft 24mm- closest brush Imation of my Omega boar brush. Good brush for a scrub.
Pre shave:Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock American barber aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem 1912 Damaskeene O.C with a Gem teflon coated blade!
GEMonday.Oct19th. 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

20201018_124600.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb Gold Bumpless
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200719_081933.jpg

MacaRoot Mon 19th SE 4th SOTD
Cream MacaRoot & Aloe
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 4th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water & Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic & MacaRoot Aloe Gel
Nice pleasant lather from the cream. More than required.
4th shave with this SE razor paired with blade is much more smoother and comfortable especially for wtg & atg. Not so for atg....as can feel the blade is kinda skipping rather than cutting cleanly. All in it was an enjoyable 3passes with DFS+ results. Better than the previous shave with same razor and blade. Good post and aftershaves. Rating 9/10
View attachment 1170654
View attachment 1170656

I just noticed the socket wrench razor holder. I’ll be trying that!

Top Bottom