What's new

Micromatic Monday

Thanks, @Tanuki Pretty sure @Vermonster has the razor you mentioned.

@MyOldKentuckyHome was kind enough to let me take two Micromatics; an open comb and a Clog Pruf; off his hands, but their caps are unadorned as testament to their high speed/low-drag stubble-slaughtering design.

That was my shout out to all you multiple Micomaticists! While the multiple razor topic is on the floor, I'm going to point to the Micromatic passaround thread. I think the passaround has been stalled for a while, but it might get moving again.

I have loved all the GEM's I've tried except the G-Bar. I've tried two - the first was awful, the second wasn't bad, just not as good as the other GEM's I've tried.

I currently have the 1912, open comb, Clog Pruf, Junior Parade with baton handle and Featherweight. I had the Flying Wing and Pushbutton but just sold them on eBay as they weren't that different from my others and I was running out of shelf space on my GEM shelf.

Haven't tried the Contour but probably won't as I've heard they kept getting milder as it went along

Hey, I've got that one! It just moved to the top of the sample list to try next. My Murphy&McNeil samples are a big 15ml / half ounce. With a soap that lathers so well, using one one up is a marathon.
View attachment 1138283
All I do is get the tips of the brush in the soap, since it takes so much water. This is the old formula. I learned with that if you really scrub the brush full the bathroom will be full of lather and you will still be adding water. Their Trinity is really nice too.
Sorry to hijack.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm just able to check in now. My shave was supposed to take place Monday morning, but ended up being Monday night (11:45pm CST). I was so wiped out from the day's events that I couldn't manage a picture -- so I'm thankful for all of your photos -- but I did manage a truly relaxing 3-pass DFS+ shave from my Gem Featherweight Deluxe. The brush was my Moka Express and the cream was Antiga Barbearia de Bairro Ribeira do Porto.

I tapped the above out around 7:30am this morning, and haven't been able to get back to my computer to post the message until now (~13 hours later).

I'm just able to check in now. My shave was supposed to take place Monday morning, but ended up being Monday night (11:45pm CST). I was so wiped out from the day's events that I couldn't manage a picture -- so I'm thankful for all of your photos -- but I did manage a truly relaxing 3-pass DFS+ shave from my Gem Featherweight Deluxe. The brush was my Moka Express and the cream was Antiga Barbearia de Bairro Ribeira do Porto.

I tapped the above out around 7:30am this morning, and haven't been able to get back to my computer to post the message until now (~13 hours later).

Hope things are at least going good. Good hectic is still hectic though.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Busy man Fred, good to hear from you!

Ron R

I'm pretty new to vintage razors, in fact this will be my very first one! I'm looking forward to being able to post here once it arrives. In the meantime, do you guys have any tips for a novice like me?

(Photos are from the eBay seller, will post my own once it arrives in the mail!)
Looks like a new ER 1912 model or one that was hardly used-very nice. Make sure you purchase some new blades, those older blades will not perform very good. I bought a Schick injector once with older blades and they almost turned me off, bought some new ones and Wow what a nice difference. I bought my Gem Personna SS PTFE(coated teflon)blades from Connaught shaving. I live up north and no stores up here stock Gem blades - GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades - https://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html they are good to deal with and prices were reasonable & took 2 to 3 weeks to arrive.

Last edited:
Looks like a new ER 1912 model or one that was hardly used-very nice. Make sure you purchase some new blades, those older blades will not perform very good. I bought a Schick injector once with older blades and they almost turned me off, bought some new ones and Wow what a nice difference. I bought my Gem Personna SS PTFE(coated teflon)blades from Connaught shaving. I live up north and no stores up here stock Gem blades - GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades - https://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html they are good to deal with and prices were reasonable & took 2 to 3 weeks to arrive.
Thanks for the advice. I live in the UK so will stock up on some Gem blades from Connaught.

I'm pretty new to vintage razors, in fact this will be my very first one! I'm looking forward to being able to post here once it arrives. In the meantime, do you guys have any tips for a novice like me?

(Photos are from the eBay seller, will post my own once it arrives in the mail!)

That's a Beautiful razor. As @Ron R said the Gem PTFE blades are great. There are also other choices just be sure they are blades intended for shaving. Box cutter blades/window scraper blades look very similar but are ground different and not suitable for shaving. Also keep the cap flat to the skin or just barely angled off the skin and keep the pressure extremely light to start out with. Many people use to much pressure starting out. Also the first shave or two with the Gem blades can be a little on the harsh side. After that they mellow out and are great. I get an average of 10 shaves per blade flipping it over each use. To combat the initial harshness some people very lightly cut into a cork or packing peanut to tame the edge.
Also welcome to the wonderful world of vintage razors the Gem razors and the entire American safety razor family are fantastic razors.
I look forward to your first shave report.

That's a Beautiful razor. As @Ron R said the Gem PTFE blades are great. There are also other choices just be sure they are blades intended for shaving. Box cutter blades/window scraper blades look very similar but are ground different and not suitable for shaving. Also keep the cap flat to the skin or just barely angled off the skin and keep the pressure extremely light to start out with. Many people use to much pressure starting out. Also the first shave or two with the Gem blades can be a little on the harsh side. After that they mellow out and are great. I get an average of 10 shaves per blade flipping it over each use. To combat the initial harshness some people very lightly cut into a cork or packing peanut to tame the edge.
Also welcome to the wonderful world of vintage razors the Gem razors and the entire American safety razor family are fantastic razors.
I look forward to your first shave report.
Thanks, those are all great tips. I will definitely be using the Gem blades (by Personna) as those seem to be the only ones readily available on this side of the pond. I'm away for work at the moment but this will be my first shave when I get home (whether it's Monday or not!)

Ron R

Thanks, those are all great tips. I will definitely be using the Gem blades (by Personna) as those seem to be the only ones readily available on this side of the pond. I'm away for work at the moment but this will be my first shave when I get home (whether it's Monday or not!)
Here is some additional information on technique and other pcs of information.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg
Gem procedure (2).jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif
GEM blade grind angles.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay safe in these times!

Okay. I broke down and ordered a G-Bar.
Still waiting for my G-Bar. It had been in the mail for a couple weeks, but the Etsy vendor contacted me to say he mistakenly sent me the wrong order number. He refunded my money and told me to keep the razor he sent by mistake which is a nice 1912 with case. I reordered the G-Bar from the vendor. It was only fair...and I wanted that G-Bar.

Just remember it's always Monday in this thread so be sure to post when you get that first shave in. And we love pictures of shave gear.

Still waiting for my G-Bar. It had been in the mail for a couple weeks, but the Etsy vendor contacted me to say he mistakenly sent me the wrong order number. He refunded my money and told me to keep the razor he sent by mistake which is a nice 1912 with case. I reordered the G-Bar from the vendor. It was only fair...and I wanted that G-Bar.

Stinks about the extra wait but a free 1912 ain't a bad constellation prize for having to wait.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Micromatic Monday is almost upon us -- well, depending on your timezone, of course -- have you thought about what Gem-blade-style American Safety Razor you'll be using??? Will it be a Gem, Ever-Ready, Star or a Treet.....well let's face it, they are all treats! :001_smile Admittedly I have not chosen my razor of choice for tomorrow, I'm hoping to copy (I mean "be inspired by") your choice.

Ron R

Micromatic Monday is almost upon us -- well, depending on your timezone, of course -- have you thought about what Gem-blade-style American Safety Razor you'll be using??? Will it be a Gem, Ever-Ready, Star or a Treet.....well let's face it, they are all treats! :001_smile Admittedly I have not chosen my razor of choice for tomorrow, I'm hoping to copy (I mean "be inspired by") your choice.
Might use one of the Gem cousins tomorrow, ER Streamline- I need a challenge and it will usually never let me down in that category.

Top Bottom