What's new

Micromatic Monday

You know we want to see this one. A navy blue baton should look pretty nice!
I'll try to get pics later....it's extremely dark dark dark blue, i think most people would just think it was black at first glance.

The only way i was able to notice it was blue was because the very bottom base/end-cap is black, so at that bottom seam where the 2 meet, is where you can tell that the handle is actually blue and the base is black.

I also have a Treet baton handle that is gorgeous vintage red, ...condition is insane, looks brand new like it was just made yesterday or sealed away in a time capsule

I'll try to get pics later....it's extremely dark dark dark blue, i think most people would just think it was black at first glance.

The only way i was able to notice it was blue was because the very bottom base/end-cap is black, so at that bottom seam where the 2 meet, is where you can tell that the handle is actually blue and the base is black.

I also have a Treet baton handle that is gorgeous vintage red, ...condition is insane, looks brand new like it was just made yesterday or sealed away in a time capsule

I've got 2 different styles of black Baton handles one on a Star one on a Gem and a Red Baton on a Treet. I really like the 2 black Batons but the Red Baton is just so beautiful.
I've also seen pictures of a green a brown and the dark blue you are describing.
I look forward to seeing pictures of yours.

I'm thinking MMOC.

I'm following this cue. My new to me full set MMOC will get its first use. It may knock my other chrome MMOC off its perch.
EBA9AC14-12C0-4229-9E44-4B5DBBBDE492.jpeg

I hope I didn't already post this photo to Micromatic Monday... I was pleased as punch when I pulled out the NEW BLADES case after I bought it and found - new blades!

I'm following this cue. My new to me full set MMOC will get its first use. It may knock my other chrome MMOC off its perch.
View attachment 1137493
I hope I didn't already post this photo to Micromatic Monday... I was pleased as punch when I pulled out the NEW BLADES case after I bought it and found - new blades!

Very cool. I have that same case but with a bumpless brass MMOC. Mine didn't have any new blades either.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Aug 10th 2020, Good morning to all this Sunny refreshing day.

Razor: Gem Micromatic clog Pruf, Peerless model,17 nib safety bar - Mfg 1945, excellent mid range razor.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) Excellent blade,Very sharp & smooths out over its life span.
Soap: Taylor of old Bond street Sandal wood- One of my favorite scents:001_wub: & has good lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 black synthetic whiskers- Close to a natural boar with soft tips IMO.Great lathering brush.
Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood:001_wub: with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf.
MMMonday, Aug 10th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves!Stay safe in these times!

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My Gem Micromatic clog pruf and feather weight is coming in today. I am starting with the feather weight. If I dont have any more luck than i seem to be having with MMOC 3 bump then for sale or trade or something they go.
You will enjoy your Gem Featherweight, I like to break in a new blade with that razor and shaved with it for week continuous and enjoyed every shave. 3 pass shave with a few touch ups usually with the Featherweight. MMCP is a great razor also, in fact all my Gems have different feels and shaves but enjoy them all once you get your technique dialed in. The MMCP I can use a 2 pass with touch ups and pull off a excellent shave like today.

You will enjoy your Gem Featherweight, I like to break in a new blade with that razor and shaved with it for week continuous and enjoyed every shave. 3 pass shave with a few touch ups usually with the Featherweight. MMCP is a great razor also, in fact all my Gems have different feels and shaves but enjoy them all once you get your technique dialed in. The MMCP I can use a 2 pass with touch ups and pull off a excellent shave like today.
I hope so. The MMOC feels like its ripping my face off, even though I am getting no cuts or weepers. It's odd. I mean, I have 99 blades I need to use up. Lol

Self-integrating...

My first shave in the den after five days and change of self-isolation on top of 3 weeks plus on the road.

And its Micromatic Monday!

Pre: mentholated Col Conk Amber face wash, for that glycerin base layer
Hardware: MMOC / Gem PTFE (12 - last used 13jun)
Lather: Palmolive stick / Ever-Ready Badgerlon / Captain's Choice copper bowl for an excellent hybrid face/bowl lather
Post: alum, Dickinson's witch hazel toner, Gabels Drops of Lime AS

464DC4FE-134E-48D6-B5E5-B9FFFC413364.jpeg

Great, close 2+ pass shave. This old blade did the job well, but will go in the bin before it ages any more. I'll get close more easily with a fresh one.

What have I been missing? The friendly confines of my den! Also, the clean soap-free feel after using alum. I took an alum stick on safari, but I was always focused on a quick shave and vacating the public facility - never used it once, not even my one motel night.

Let's talk about the Dickinson's toner. I really like an alcohol free witch hazel, but what self-respecting witch would use rosewater? For Christmas I want Dickinson's to make a citrus toner, Fatip to make a nickel Lo Storto slant, and maybe Santa will bring me an already-made ASR baton handled razor in a spectacular color.

Gabels Drops of Lime washes that rosewater scent away with only the merest hint of burn.

As for the Badgerlon. It has a 500BN price code ($5) on the base. Nice try, Ever-Ready. Not enough badger to justify the premium pricing. And nylon might have been a miracle material, but it wasn't yet fine tuned for a shaving brush knot at the time this brush was built. Makes good lather, feels weird on the face. I do like the "Persian Jar meets Ever-Ready Everyman Eggcup" handle profile.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (4)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red tub

Second shave ever with the MMOC for MM Monday. Morning shave on one and a half days of stubble. Easy BBS with WTG/XTG/ATG passes - no harshness, burning, nicks, or tugging.

The second shave with this MMOC was even better than the first. I had been considering picking up a Blackland Sabre until I tried the MMOC.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (4)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red tub

Second shave ever with the MMOC for MM Monday. Morning shave on one and a half days of stubble. Easy BBS with WTG/XTG/ATG passes - no harshness, burning, nicks, or tugging.

The second shave with this MMOC was even better than the first. I had been considering picking up a Blackland Sabre until I tried the MMOC.
I need shaving lessons, evidently.

I've got 2 different styles of black Baton handles one on a Star one on a Gem and a Red Baton on a Treet. I really like the 2 black Batons but the Red Baton is just so beautiful.

the red Treet really is quite a sight to see...I feel like I'm traveling back in time when I hold it.

Late last night, I cleaned my Damaskeene OC for use today, and the blue EverReady for a later photoshoot....they were both pretty grungy and gross when I got them but shined up perfectly like new.

Last edited:
I need shaving lessons, evidently.

We're here for you! With too much contradictory advice, and mainly as enablers of various ADs, of course.

Here is part of a post from early in my Gem blade shaving days (last year):

"Sure enough, the dark night of my first Gem shave dawned into a halcyon noontime fifth Gem shave. Here is my current Gem dogma:
1 Quality soap well-lathered
2 Stretch skin
3 Short strokes
4 Shallow, but natural, angle (don’t force “flat”)
5 Shave confidently aiming for 2 passes and minimal touch up"

And I always lightly cork a Gem PTFE before first use, then use a very light touch when shaving. Gem SE shaving has helped me lighten my touch for DE and SR shaves.

I've evolved to longer strokes. I now use more face contortion rather than using my off (left) hand as much for skin stretching.

Top Bottom