What's new

Micromatic Monday

PM me an address. Maybe my wife will buy me another bottle.

Definitely on topic... @Flintstone65 , don't ban me, I just got home to a decent net connection. I drank it while shaving with my Shovelhead.

Hey, Connemara, what a weird tipple. It is an "Irish" whiskey, distilled in a failed (and maybe bought cheap with government help?) modern column distillery using strongly peated malt imported from Islay. It's the best way to drink some Irish whiskey and a decent smoky Scotch AT THE SAME TIME!
I am going to Michael's eventually. They have something similar just not as fancy. I will if that falls through. Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.

An ASR shave post!

Brush: Omega 10065 boar
Pre: Col Conk Lime in stick form, face lathered
Razor: Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Blade: PAL Blue Carbon (6)
Bowl lather: Lea Mentolada
After: Osage Rub and Adidas Dynamic Pulse

I have been missing Mondays, but a Shovelhead on Tuesday will do very nicely. Very close, highly audible shave.

What a contrast to the Schick L1/Arko shaves that I have been powering through for three weeks straight.

The Pal blade performed very well, especially for a carbon blade on shave 6.

Never posted the past few days, so here goes:

Monday for MM Monday:
MM Bullet-Tip / Personna GEM (4th)
Old-Spice Shave Cream / 30mm Tuxedo
Old-Spice AS (Homebrew)
Soap Commander Endurance (Classic Spice) Balm

Tuesday:
OneBlade Genesis / Feather (6th & Last, felt dull)
Barbasol Pacific Rush
Old Spice (Homebrew)
Soap Commander Endurance (Classic Spice) Balm

Weds/Thurs: Felt double sided
Timeless 95 OC / Rapira Platinum Lux (1st & 2nd)
Dove +Men Pre-Shave
Piccadilly Sandalwood Shave Soap
Bay Rum (Homebrew)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thur Aug 6th 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic, flyingwing, MMBT, Guiding eye......-Mfg 1947-50
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4)- Excellent blade.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore- Great scent with excellent lather qualities :001_wub:
Brush : Yaqi Timber Wolf whiskers 24mm Synthetic- great brush for making lather quickly with nice soft tips, cloud feel.
Pre Shave: Shower + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso green after shave lotion + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results:CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:great shave with my Gem Micromatic Flying wing.

SE SOTD. Thur. Aug 6th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay safe in these times!

Star light, star bright...

First Star I've used.

Star 1912, picked it up in Belle Fourche, SD
PAL Blue Carbon (7)
Derby shave stick
Ever-Ready boar, vintage knot
Pinaud Lime Sec

A26E849D-D3A8-463F-BE78-0ABFB156AEE0.jpeg

This boar (first use) is trying to go bald fast. Maybe the shedding is slowing? A re-knot will be OK by me, if needed.

The Star shaved just like any other 1912. It is in fine shape.

The Derby (also first use) is good, but it's no Arko.

The PAL blade just keeps ticking. Amazing.

hello fellow Gemaniacs, I haven't posted in a few months but i've still been lurking B&B every day. Thru the thick of quarantine I was growing facial hair for the first time in my life and not shaving much.. But when I finally started to again, my trusty G-bars and MMOC were great for detailing funny goatees and mustaches.

Much earlier in the year, I found a G-bar actually in its original case. If you can find one with its box, I highly recommend it, it's just plastic but it's a really cool red base with a spring loaded clear top that automatically opens the case when you press the button. I've been watching the usual online site pretty closely for the last 9 or so months and have only seen cased G-bars available about 3 or 4 times.

Next up for this coming Micromatic Monday - a Gem 1912 damaskeene, the one that's a true open comb, is there a special name for that type? I ordered it in the middle of the virus scare and was too nervous to open the box, so it's just been sitting here for 3 months. I haven't even looked at it yet, but I plan on cleaning it up Sunday night.

.....2 other rarities / oddities i still haven't opened or checked or even looked at yet, ordered around the same time - an original Hull pottery 01 Grand Turk - Old Spice mug...and an Everyready 1912 razor w/ navy-blue baton handle.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (3)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red tub

Sorry, I couldn't wait until Monday for the first use of my new-to-me MMOC. Tonight's shave on two and a half days of stubble. Surprisingly easy BBS with WTG/XTG/ATG passes - no harshness, burning, or tugging, and very little blade feel or audible feedback; the blade just quietly mowed down the whiskers. I did get one small nick under the lower lip.

I am half thinking that I did something wrong to have such an easy time of it on the first go with this razor. I was expecting razor burn and a bloodbath based on some reports of others, but it felt similar to my MM Bullet Tip Guiding Eye razor and felt much smoother than a 1912-style GEM head.

i'd like to clarify my above post...for those that may be currently on the hunt for their collections, i don't wanna mislead anyone into a mismatched listing,...this is the, *i think*. "somewhat" rarer G-bar case I was talking about in my previous post, it's the larger case that's oriented straight up and down, it opens the tall/long way,... NOT the slanted / more compact / horizontally oriented ones as seen in the later featherweight cases that seem to come up for sale much more often.

1596963575741.jpeg

proxy.php

***(not my images...copied/pasted from google)***

Attachments

• 1596963554405.jpeg
    1596963554405.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

Sorry, I couldn't wait until Monday for the first use of my new-to-me MMOC. Tonight's shave on two and a half days of stubble. Surprisingly easy BBS with WTG/XTG/ATG passes - no harshness, burning, or tugging, and very little blade feel or audible feedback; the blade just quietly mowed down the whiskers. I did get one small nick under the lower lip.

I am half thinking that I did something wrong to have such an easy time of it on the first go with this razor. I was expecting razor burn and a bloodbath based on some reports of others, but it felt similar to my MM Bullet Tip Guiding Eye razor and felt much smoother than a 1912-style GEM head.
No need to wait for a Monday -- especially with a new-to-you MMOC -- I would've done the same thing in your place!!! I had the same experience with my first MMOC shave....I was expecting "The Demon Barber of Fleet Street", and instead I got a mild feeling but very close shave. At the time I credited it to my careful technique since I had also read a lot of scary experiences from other shavers. I'm sure if I treated it like a cart and whipped it around my face ignoring pressure and being careless with angle, I could certainly do some real damage; but if you just use it the way it was meant to be used, you get a comfortable and extremely efficient shaving experience. I also don't find an overly noticeable difference between the Micromatics; but I do rank my favorite Micromatics as MMOC, then the MMBT, then the Clog-Pruf.

Thanks for a great intro to Micromatic Monday!!!!!!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
i'd like to clarify my above post...for those that may be currently on the hunt for their collections, i don't wanna mislead anyone into a mismatched listing,...this is the, *i think*. "somewhat" rarer G-bar case I was talking about in my previous post, it's the larger case that's oriented straight up and down, it opens the tall/long way,... NOT the slanted / more compact / horizontally oriented ones as seen in the later featherweight cases that seem to come up for sale much more often.
Glad you clarified, I was thinking "hey, my Featherweight case doesn't have that push-button feature".....that G-Bar case looks and sounds really cool, thanks for sharing!!!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you did not carve a hole out of your cheek that takes over two weeks to heal, you didn't something terribly wrong.

Congrats on your shave.

i've even seen an England EverReady E-bar in that same type of case once but the price seemed waaayyyy high to me. I was also a little disappointed to see there was no "E" on the razor handle in the little side circles where the Gems have a "G"

i've even seen an England EverReady E-bar in that same type of case once but the price seemed waaayyyy high to me. I was also a little disappointed to see there was no "E" on the razor handle in the little side circles where the Gems have a "G"
I was sorely tempted by one awhile back. They do want a lot for them! I am trying to confine myself to US made razors, so I passed.

Top Bottom