What's new

Micromatic Monday

Used my Ever-Ready 1914 today. It is an aggressive razor but very smooth. I always enjoy using it. I used a Nivea shave stick, makes plenty of lather without really trying. Used my RR brush and Chatillon Lux 88 Chestnut Street aftershave. Another great shave in the books.

Ever-Ready_1914.JPG

0706201008.jpg

Well, I went back to my shave cupboard and dug out a different Micromatic for today's shave. I usually shave with a straight, but saw this thread a few weeks ago and said why not join in? It's fun changing up once a week.

Razor: Micromatic Clog Pruf
Blade: Gem
, marked Gem/stainless from Walgreens. I'm not sure if these are the coated blades or not and the package didn't really say, but the blade shaves smoothly. For the last few weeks I used carbon blades from CVS that I bought on a 50% off sale before they changed their packaging.
Brush: Klenzo vintage that I restored years ago. It has a TGN 20mm best knot, as best as I can recall. It's a bit beat up, but I like this little brush a lot- it has a weighted handle, doesn't hog product, and makes good lather very easily.
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat- I use this almost daily. I'll mix in another soap maybe once a week. I find with daily use this soap really shines for me and leaves my face feeling great all day. The puck also lasts a very long time.
Aftershave: Proraso balm. I haven't used this product in a while, I usually use a splash of Thayer's or Lucky Tiger. But, this week the humidity has been really low, <10% for part of yesterday and <20% today.

Today's shave was really fine and very close. 95% BBS in two passes. Single edge Gem razors shave wonderfully!

Today's GEMonday
IMG_20200706_101136-01.jpeg

GEM New Safety Razor in its happy nest.

Ended up being a Daily Double for me today.
IMG_20200706_100920-01.jpeg

Three passes with the GEM went well but left me DFS+. What a fun razor! But, I hate stubble, so rather than go for a 4th pass with the lather catcher I opted for a cleanup ATG pass with the Old Type. BBS and so, so satisfying.

GEM New Safety Razor (wedge blade)
Gillette Old Type (Astra SP)
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
Tabac soap, AS, and EdC (Grandma's purse my a*$)

View attachment 1122378

Well, I went back to my shave cupboard and dug out a different Micromatic for today's shave. I usually shave with a straight, but saw this thread a few weeks ago and said why not join in? It's fun changing up once a week.

Razor: Micromatic Clog Pruf
Blade: Gem
, marked Gem/stainless from Walgreens. I'm not sure if these are the coated blades or not and the package didn't really say, but the blade shaves smoothly. For the last few weeks I used carbon blades from CVS that I bought on a 50% off sale before they changed their packaging.
Brush: Klenzo vintage that I restored years ago. It has a TGN 20mm best knot, as best as I can recall. It's a bit beat up, but I like this little brush a lot- it has a weighted handle, doesn't hog product, and makes good lather very easily.
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat- I use this almost daily. I'll mix in another soap maybe once a week. I find with daily use this soap really shines for me and leaves my face feeling great all day. The puck also lasts a very long time.
Aftershave: Proraso balm. I haven't used this product in a while, I usually use a splash of Thayer's or Lucky Tiger. But, this week the humidity has been really low, <10% for part of yesterday and <20% today.

Today's shave was really fine and very close. 95% BBS in two passes. Single edge Gem razors shave wonderfully!

Nice shave gear. Great picture and nice write-up.

I used Mitchell's for the first time yesterday. The lather was underwhelming and I'm sure that it should be much better. Any tips on getting a good lather? I used a two band badger that I normally get fantastic results with. I kind of suspect my water quality effects lather quality at times. We have a softener but our water is still fairly hard.
Anyway any tips would be appreciated.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200706
shave 20200706_141502_2.jpg

Razor: Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher", @camoloc Handle
Blade: Personna GEM (7)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers, 24mm Maggard SHD Knot
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock Black
Cologne: Al Rehab Silver

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Very much enjoyed shaving with the Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher" (with @camoloc handle) last Micromatic Monday and decided to go for an encore. Happy to report that the 1914 delivered another outstanding shave! :thumbup:

A very pleasurable Micromatic Monday shave! :)

I used Mitchell's for the first time yesterday.

I also dove into the MWF pond last week. I read somewhere to soak the puck for two days before first use. Did so and have had no trouble getting great lathers with a variety of silvertip brushes so long as I make sure to load it like I hate it and hydrate the heck out of it while building the lather in my scuttle. Haven't tried face lathering it yet.

I shaved too well yesterday, had to wait for harvest time. Waiting was the theme today, as the tile subcontractor somehow never did arrive. Must have been a good long weekend!

And welcome @RenoRichard ! A familiar name from the SR haunts. It is another good crowd for Micromatic Monday.

Prep:
RazoRock Blue Label stick / Omega 10065 and lots of hot, hot water
Shave:
Micromatic Flying Wing/Bullet Tip/Guiding Eye in warm, lustrous nickel
Pal Blue Carbon (4)
Williams Mug / custom black walnut stubby black badger
After:
Mennen Skin Bracer, a nice big splash

12096F83-0A65-4777-A9E3-168968F0356E.jpeg

On the soap front, I have neglected my Williams Mug mug too long. The puck is pretty dry. I can still get lather easily enough, but I am reminded that long ago, when Williams was my only soap (and I never rinsed my brush), lather was instantaneous.

It was a comfortable and relaxing MMFW/BT/GE flyover today, once I finally taxied out and took off. Over and out.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I used Mitchell's for the first time yesterday. The lather was underwhelming and I'm sure that it should be much better. Any tips on getting a good lather? I used a two band badger that I normally get fantastic results with. I kind of suspect my water quality effects lather quality at times. We have a softener but our water is still fairly hard.
Anyway any tips would be appreciated.
I want to second the "load it like you hate it" advice. I had some issues with it initially (and I got mine used, so it wasn't a "new puck" issue); but someone suggested a super heavy load -- 45 to 60 seconds with the brush going clockwise and another 45 to 60 seconds with the brush going counter-clockwise -- with a damp, but not dripping-wet brush, and then add water slowly as you make the lather. Also the lather sort of reminds me of Williams, more clown-paint than buttercream-frosting. It's turned into one of my favorite soaps....love the slickness, scent and post-shave feeling.

I also dove into the MWF pond last week. I read somewhere to soak the puck for two days before first use. Did so and have had no trouble getting great lathers with a variety of silvertip brushes so long as I make sure to load it like I hate it and hydrate the heck out of it while building the lather in my scuttle. Haven't tried face lathering it yet.

I want to second the "load it like you hate it" advice. I had some issues with it initially (and I got mine used, so it wasn't a "new puck" issue); but someone suggested a super heavy load -- 45 to 60 seconds with the brush going clockwise and another 45 to 60 seconds with the brush going counter-clockwise -- with a damp, but not dripping-wet brush, and then add water slowly as you make the lather. Also the lather sort of reminds me of Williams, more clown-paint than buttercream-frosting. It's turned into one of my favorite soaps....love the slickness, scent and post-shave feeling.

Thank you both for the advice. I will try it again soon. My next shave is testing out a razor on a pass around that I only have a little longer. I have had mixed results with it so I want to try a brand new blade again and go with the soap that gave me the best results before. After that I will be giving MWF another go.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thur, July 9th 2020

Razor: Star bar Lather catcher model#4(Kampfee Brothers NY) A.S.R razor- Mfg 1920- Excellent shaves usually from this great little lather catcher. Milder mid range IMO, I'm very happy with this purchase.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) Great blade, very sharp, good longevity, excellent cost, smooths out nicely, predictable wear 95 % of the time with no drama.
Soap: Italian barber Amici- great mild scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 synthetic- great all around brush that has natural boar brush feel with out the scritch IMO.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=
[IMG]
Excellent shave with my Kampfee brothers Star bar#4!

SE SOTD- Thursday July9th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Micromatic Monday will be upon us soon, and I still don't know what razor to use. My Feather Weight always springs to mind....it's like the Arnold Horshack of my den...."Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!...pick me, pick me!!!!!!" But I may also go with a Micromatic (MMOC), sort of the Vinnie Barbarino of the pack. Hmmm, I seem to be in a "Welcome Back, Kotter" state of mind.

What are you thinking of using on Micromatic Monday / GEMonday???

IMG_4476.JPG

July 13, 2020

Brush:
Zenith B2 (B03-A26)
Razor: GEM Junior
Blade: GEM PTFE (5)
Lather: Declaration Grooming - After the Rain - Soap
Post Shave: Chatillon Lux - La Petite Prairie - Aftershave

Hello fellow SE shavers, here's my Sunday night/Monday morning SOTD. @Flintstone65 told me I should post to this thread! This was my first week of shaving with a GEM Junior and I must say I was very impressed. I already have several others headed my way to try out in the coming weeks. Also, I managed to finish a tub of soap! My first "kill", take a look:

107871060_10222173719442113_1256682691894583417_o.jpg

Major decision. I have a long road trip of indeterminate length in front of me. I probably won't pack SE kit, or treasured razors. Tomorrow may be a farewell shave to MM and B&B for a few weeks.

Current thinking - Micromatic ClogPruf Peerless, brushless Barbasol to practice up for road shaves in the wing mirror.

Top Bottom