What's new

Micromatic Monday

First time shave with a GEM Junior
1B549165-D9BF-4A93-A3C4-8EF582829D9A.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, June 29th 2020, took out my interesting looking ASR Family member the Everready 1912 for another shave, I like the handle on it with the pronounce hexagon edges creates a different feel of a grip and hard to MFG IMO.

Razor: Everready 1912 -Mfg in Great Britain from 1936-53- excellent mid range razor. This model feels nice in my hand.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) great blade in a lot of ways,sharpness, longevity, cost, and very predictable IMO.
Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum - I always get good results from this great soap, mild bayrum scent, excellent lather!
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot synthetic 24mm- very enjoyable brush with good brush characteristics to make & apply lather.
Pre shave : Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor :thumbsup: with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Best shave with my recent acquired Everready 1912 British variant.
MMMonday,June 29th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Sounds like you're on the right track. A couple of comments:
  1. Many of us find the first shave (and sometimes the second) with the GEM SS PTFE blades to be on the harsh side -- equating it to the Feather DE blades. Some folks cork them to try and tame them, and others just use the mildest razor in their den for the first shave or so. So you are not alone, and I suspect when you put that blade in your Featherweight, you'll be very pleasantly surprised now that it's broken in. On the plus side, many of us get at least 10 shaves from those blades, and I've been finding that I can get 15 or more really nice shave lately.

2. Not sure what Valet Autostrop you have, I'll look back at your other posts, but if you're having difficulty with getting the GEM blade to fit you may need to "trim the ears" of the blade. Some folks do that to make it easier to slide in -- and the shape with the ears trimmed makes the shape of the GEM blade mirror the original Valet Autostrop blades. Just a thought. If I can find a decent pic with what I'm talking about, I'll send it to you with a PM. Don't want to hijack our GEM-based thread with talk of Autostrops. :001_smile

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
According to other Members this model takes the Feather FHS-10 blade. I’ll be ordering some.
Ahhh -- it's true that only some Valet Autostrops take Gem blades -- the older models (A1, A2, B1, B2, VB1, VC1). You've probably seen this link already, but it does a good job of laying out the various Autostrop / Valet Autostrop types: AutoStrop/Valet Razors: A Typology in 13 Parts. Short hand is if the gate that goes over the blade has holes for pins to go through, then those pins will need to be in the blade, and really the best/most convenient blades to use are the proprietary Valet Feathers (or vintage Valets).

Okay, my apologies to everyone for the slight diversion....on to our regular scheduled programming!!!

Razor: Gem Junior with brass bulldog handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

20200628_083646.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200629
20200629_170316~2.jpg

Razor: Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher", @camoloc Handle
Blade: Personna GEM (6)
Brush: @Graydog 'Chubby' w/26mm Full Moon
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Brut Classic

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride Approved) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher" with the @camoloc handle is nicely balanced - very controlled and secure grip.

MdC soap is phenomenal. The @Graydog 'Chubby' loads easily and builds mounds of great lather.

A very pleasurable Micromatic Monday shave! :)

A nice and rarity plastic MMFW, MMBT, guiding eye......... they are a nice razor to use.
Thanks! I didn't realize it was unusual. It was basically near new in a cardboard sales case. BTW there is no guiding eye on it; it has a flat top plate. From what I've read it is one of the latest versions as they wanted cheaper materials, ergo the plastic bullet.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Wed, July 1st 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb, Bumpless variant-Mfg 1930-32 excellent mid> range razor.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) excellent blade, very sharp, longevity, cost effective, very predictable blade IMO.
Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville- great scent and good lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi timberwolf whiskers 24mm synthetic- very good brush to bowl lather and excellent brush qualities,soft tips
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gem MMOC bumpless razor.

SOTD Wed July1st 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom