What's new

Micromatic Monday

There are two variants of the 1924 that I know of. The shave above was with the short neck which I have read is more aggressive. I also have the long neck and have shaved with both in a comparison shave.
if you get a chance, can you post of side by side profile pic showing the different necks, ...i'd like to see the difference.

Had my normal straight shave this morning, but had to head out tonight to chaperone my daughter's Spring Formal dance. And while I was stubble free at 5pm, I wouldn't be by 1am. What to do?

Ah ... A quick two-pass (WTG, ATG) cleanup with Arko (great, protective lather) and my GEM Damaskeen. Perfect!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
You can see them in this picture from a shave I did with both razors. Let me know if you want any more comparison shorts.
Hey, I didn't know you have both Shovelhead variants! I'm starting to think your collection is bigger than mine :glare:. Beautiful razors!!! Actually, it sounds like you did a shave with both at some point...and I probably commented on it at the time....just can't keep these things straight. :blushing:

Flintstone65

It looks like it's that time again....Micromatic Monday Approaches!!!! My shaving schedule is a bit off. I usually try to shave every other day, but I had a meeting to got to this week and then they called us back the next day to get photos for ID badges -- the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes run a tight ship -- and ultimately left my shaving schedule cattywampus (been looking for a way to trot out that word). So net net, I'm not sure what I'm choosing for my Micromatic Monday / GEMonday shave; but I'm leaning towards an 1924 Ever-Ready (aka Shovelhead)....I'm not sure why, the urge to use one has just come over me :thumbup1: . And the Weck may also tag along as well! :straight:

How about y'all -- care to have an excellent shave with a GEM, Ever-Ready, Star or Treet razor? I hope so, everybody should start their week that way!

Hey, I didn't know you have both Shovelhead variants! I'm starting to think your collection is bigger than mine :glare:. Beautiful razors!!! Actually, it sounds like you did a shave with both at some point...and I probably commented on it at the time....just can't keep these things straight. :blushing:

You mean you don't have a complete list of every razor I ever bought including time location and price?

Today's shave featured a Gem Jr. Parade with 4th use Meijer blade and a Schick Type B repeating razor with a new Proline B20. I haven't used this Schick much because the head was loose and would pivot during shaving. Tightening the screw didn't help. So yesterday I disassembled it and tightened the gap where it pivots. Success now it is very tight and doesn't move while shaving. I did most of the shave with the Schick and my wife shaved the back of my neck for me with the Gem.
The Mer Shavings Fougere Orange lathered well with cold water on the SHD two band badger brush. A great shave altogether.

It’s Monday! Home off the road late last night, up early this morning, packing for the next drive. Looks to me like a relaxing Gem (or E-R) Monday evening shave using something with a chainlink handle.

Gentlemen, have an excellent Monday!

Micromatic Monday 02/10/2020
IMG_20200209_180130-01.jpeg

Bumpless Micromatic (GEM Persona SS PTFE)
Taconic Shave, Bay Rum
Rick Montalvo in Silvertip
Clubman Pinaud

Wonderful BBS shave with this combo. This razor was the first GEM I owned. Still my favorite. Great blade feel and efficiency, but no tendency to bite as long as you respect it. I don't get why people call it "aggressive".

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday today, I haven't taken taken this one out of the rack for awhile and it performed nicely with a little help with prep and technique. Great shave!

Razor : Gem Junior 1912 parade with the baton handle variant - Mfg 1943
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3)
Soap : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore "Firenze"
Brush : Yaqi wolf whiskers 24mm
Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch Hazel + Avon "True Gent" balm- very nice scent.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:
GEMonday Feb 10th-2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
It was a Gemonday for me today. The Gem curved top squat head to be specific. Not sure if there is an official name for this razor but I really like the case it came in. I started with a 5th use Meijer SS blade however I switched midway to a new blade.
I opted for Cold water and Mer Shavings fougere orange on SHD two band badger for lather.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
GEMonday, February 10:

IMG_0338.JPG

Razor: Modified ATT G1 v.2 plate
Blade: PTFE (4)
Soap: OH Puck!

This thing has gotten so much better for me since I scalloped the bar. I'm now thinking I'll go back and refine the work a little, but this is pretty good. Y'all know I *tend* toward OC razors, but also the G1 has some kind of hold on me. Because I was dithering around with slants and AC for a while I decided to change back to Gem-ish and let some interesting concepts cook into the stew for a while.

I've gone from three passes and stubble to two passes and smooth. Substantial improvement.

O.H.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, February 10:

View attachment 1061778

Razor: Modified ATT G1 v.2 plate
Blade: PTFE (4)
Soap: OH Puck!

This thing has gotten so much better for me since I scalloped the bar. I'm now thinking I'll go back and refine the work a little, but this is pretty good. Y'all know I *tend* toward OC razors, but also the G1 has some kind of hold on me. Because I was dithering around with slants and AC for a while I decided to change back to Gem-ish and let some interesting concepts cook into the stew for a while.

I've gone from three passes and stubble to two passes and smooth. Substantial improvement.

O.H.
A scalloped bar is better than one that is not scalloped because it allows the lather to lubricate the face and blade better with a volume of protection. I see these new razors with no Scalloped safety bar(snow plow effect) and they still sell them like hot cakes,when you look at older razors most are scalloped or serrated on the bar for lubrication passage. It makes sense IMO.
Have some great shaves.

Flintstone65

Great GEMonday or perhaps I should say an Excellent Ever-Ready-Monday (doesn't have quite the alliterative twang). I am continuing to learn the "Ways of the Weck", and I'm not there yet, but it took me quite a few DE shaves after years of carts before I really felt comfortable, so I know patience and experience are key. All the same, I had a very nice pass WTG with the Weck (still riding with training wheels...aka the guard), and then had a superb second XTG pass and subsequent clean-up pass with the 1924 Ever-Ready (the "Shovelhead"). For those who don't know, and I don't THINK I'm making this up, the "Shovelhead" name comes courtesy of the either the good folks at Harley Davidson, or it's just named after a coal shovel. There is a Harley engine nicknamed the Shovelhead because the rocker heads had the appearance of a coal shovel (turned upside down). So I always assumed that the Shovelhead got that name because of the Harley engine; but that engine was produced between 1966 and 1984, so maybe the razor got that moniker closer to it's time period (1920's - 30's)....especially since coal shovels were even more prevalent then than later. I may have to take this up at my next HOG meeting (just kidding, I'm not a biker). Either way, let the historical corrections begin....go ahead, I can take it! :mad5:

Enough of that, let's talk shave. I broke out the Haslinger's Schafmilch (es ist sehr gut!) and lathered it with a new brush acquisition, Elite Razor's real stone "Arizona Jade" [Jadeite] sporting a 3-band High Mountain White knot. I love the weight and hand-feel of of those stone handles, and the brush tips on this are simply amazing. I spend more time lathering my face when I'm using the Weck -- usually something that resembles clown-paint is "good 'nuff"; but when you're using a straight or straight-like-object, I recommend you give a few seconds more thought and energy to getting the lather a nice consistency. The final result was me talking to myself in the mirror...."man, that was a NICE shave!" Solid DFS with no blood, irritation or even post-shave sensitivity. I tried to capture the equipment pictorially, but I'm still not happy with my lighting setup, which is really just the bathroom lights. This particular razor is not my first (or only) Shovelhead, but it is my only gold one. There is still some gold plating left, but there's also a fair amount of brass....once it's shined up, it's hard to tell the difference between the plate and brass (at least to me).
Shave-on my friends....and enjoy your Micromatic Monday / GEMonday!!! :scooter:(best I do for a "biker" emoji....already regretting this choice).

proxy.php

As I look at this pic, I realize how foolish I was being with that Weck and my brand new brush....guard or no guard, that badger almost got a haircut!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
A scalloped bar is better than one that is not scalloped because it allows the lather to lubricate the face and blade better with a volume of protection.

Plus the scallops allow a little bulge in the skin, which brings the blade closer. I was thinking the same as you -- and I'm also amused at the DEEP scallops on the Parker Semi-Slant. I had wanted to open it up more, but not too sure about it until I get in there and start seeing the angles I need to bring the tool in from. Might be good as-is.

O.H.

Top Bottom