What's new

Micromatic Monday

Early shave late post.
Just having some fun this morning since I had time. Gem Jr. With baton handle, Gem Gbar and TNNSER 3D shared a fresh Gem SS PTFE. I ended up blending a little Cyril R Salter Wild Rose in with the Mer Shavings Mysore Sandalwood after the first pass. Very nice scent combination.

I love the TNNSER 3D and the Gem Jr. I want to like the Gbar but it's just not a great shaver for me. I think someone filed the garden bar on this one to make it more aggressive though.

20191103_100110.jpg
20191103_101804.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Early shave late post.
Just having some fun this morning since I had time. Gem Jr. With baton handle, Gem Gbar and TNNSER 3D shared a fresh Gem SS PTFE. I ended up blending a little Cyril R Salter Wild Rose in with the Mer Shavings Mysore Sandalwood after the first pass. Very nice scent combination.

I love the TNNSER 3D and the Gem Jr. I want to like the Gbar but it's just not a great shaver for me. I think someone filed the garden bar on this one to make it more aggressive though.

View attachment 1031727View attachment 1031728
Hmmm, I see what you mean about the G-bar guard bar. I'm on record as saying the G-bar is low on my favorites list (i.e., I keep it around, but it's not a stellar shaver for me -- the GEM Pushbutton is the only other Gem razor that beats it to the bottom of the list...so I guess it's my penultimate favorite :laugh:). I haven't looked at mine in a while, but for me the handle shape just feels weird. I've gotten okay shaves, but I really don't reach for it.

As to the Gem Jr with baton handle, I've heard great things about it and it's definitely on the list to pick up one of these days. And I know this is a Gem/ASR thread, but that orange razor (TNNSER 3D) just kicks butt -- or said more politely, I REALLY like the way mine shaves!!!

Great early start to MM/GEMonday -- well done, sir!!!

I believe I will go with some bling in the pearly early tomorrow. Gold 1912? I will need something bright to wake me up! My face is feeling great with all the gentlemanly restraint, so a nice close Gem shave will be appreciated.

Getting crowded in the den. Past (ASR/me), present (RazoRock ECO/middle son), and future (Frankenrazor Labs, eldest) all scattered across the razor corner of the vanity.

Working man’s shave:
Gem 1912 / PTFE(2)
Karo Classic face lathered
EverReady boar
8CA084C0-EC7B-402D-8FD9-A2ABEF49ACE1.jpeg

Goldie there, shaves as good as she looks! What delivers better blade feel than a Gem PTFE on shave 2 in a pristine ASR razor? Nothing. :001_wub:

Flintstone65

Getting crowded in the den. Past (ASR/me), present (RazoRock ECO/middle son), and future (Frankenrazor Labs, eldest) all scattered across the razor corner of the vanity.

Working man’s shave:
Gem 1912 / PTFE(2)
Karo Classic face lathered
EverReady boar
View attachment 1031809
Goldie there, shaves as good as she looks! What delivers better blade feel than a Gem PTFE on shave 2 in a pristine ASR razor? Nothing. :001_wub:
VERY nice!!! For some reason, I now have the Goldfinger song from the Bond movie playing in my head....thanks for that. :a17:

Great shave and disappointing shave all in one this morning.

GEM BMMOC (Stainless x3)
Maca Root and Aloe
Rick Montalvo Custom

As usual the GEM was great. BBS from 3 days growth with three comfortable passes. No feedback at all from the alum.

Unfortunately, my better half wants the goatee back so today's shave was only on my neck while the rest grows out a bit before I shape it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good morning this MMMonday and hope all is well. Some of you fellows were sure busy with OCtober with your open comb razors. It was a little more quiet over here some Mondays!

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb (MMOC) - Mfg 1930-41 with button less (BLMMOC) 1930-32
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10)
Soap: Proraso Red Sandal wood
Brush: Yaki Tuxedo knot 24 mm+
Preshave: Brush wash face with CeraVe hand bar soap + Dollop of Aloe Vera gel to beard area.
Post shave: Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave: Proraso red AS with witch hazel + Nivea Balm(very dry up north with forced heat)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated no irritation + no weepers = :biggrin1:

MMMonday Nov 04-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

5 has always been my limit with the Carbons....and I've done the alcohol soak, dry thoroughly and coat with mineral oil)....also tried Frog Lube.....nothing keeps the rust at bay or the edge alive for me. Definitely a nice smooth blade for the first few shaves, just no longevity for me.
Have you tried Microcrystalline from E.J. Wheaton?

Ron R

Curved Top Squat Head 1912 on Asylum RX handle.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Now that makes for a interesting shave, with the aggressive head and the heavier handle you more than likely had a very close shave or.......?

Now that makes for a interesting shave, with the aggressive head and the heavier handle you more than likely had a very close shave or.......?
While the handle is a bit too long it's still easier to control for me. Close shave yeah [emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Greetings all -- today was an excellent shave, even in the face of unanticipated adverse conditions. I had about 36 hours of growth, and my plan was to use some new and exciting items:
  1. Some Cyril R Salter Wild Rose shaving cream that was generously sent to me by @GAW9576. I had been lamenting about not being able to readily find a good rose scent -- something not artificial, but natural smelling....and he immediately sent me some CRS to try. Spoiler alert: it is EXCELLENT, both in terms of fragrance and performance!!!

2. I recently bid on and won some handle-adjuster-screws in the B&B Charity Auction. They were created by @Elvis Outlander, and they allow vintage Gems/ASR SE razors (1912s, 1914s, Lather Catchers) to be used with M5-type DE handles. It was a brilliant idea that was expertly executed!!! I believe our colleague, @jmudrick won some as well, and he has been making some excellent razor-handle combos (see pics posted in above threads).

3. I also recently acquired a Stork titanium handle (call it an homage to the Tradere or Tradere/Aristocrat style). It's a tad longer than I'd like (92mm) -- I'm a mid 80's mm guy -- but I love the look, and the balance on this (especially attached to the Gem Lather Catcher) is perfect for me.
So what was the unanticipated adverse condition? I had a scheduled dental appointment (just a cleaning), and I had left myself plenty of time for a leisurely shower and shave....and then work calls, and I watch my shave time drop from 30 to 20 to 10 minutes (including the shower). I'm not going to force some poor dental hygienist to spend time looking at my grubby stubble, so I decide to do the fastest shave I have ever done, and I figured I'd be rubbing my face with the alum block in the car to stem the bleeding as I played "Speed-Racer" over to the appointment.

Here's what happened: a quick splash of cold water, and just a tiny almond sized bit of CRS, a slightly damp Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic, and within 10 to 15 seconds I am covered in slick, thick lather....awesome scent, amazing performance. Then I attach the brass adjuster screw to the 1903'ish GEM Lather Catcher, screw the Stork on, toss a GEM SS PTFE blade on it's 3rd shave and do the first pass without even rinsing the razor once -- you can easily do that with a Lather Catcher. I rinse my face with some cold water, and I'm shocked at how little stubble I feel, but no time to lose....I run the brush around my face for maybe 10 seconds and I'm again covered in lather. I rinse the razor quickly under some water, and the XTG pass begins. I'm noticing that while the handle looks weirdly long to me (Lather Catchers often have tiny metal handles), it is really comfortable to use this razor this way; and more importantly, I'm not seeing any bleeders or nicks, even though I'm shaving at a breakneck pace. I finish the 2nd pass and rinse my face, and it is smooth. I can tell it's not quite BBS, but I'm currently in a BBS-Restraint, so it works for me. I look perfectly clean shaven and my skin feels and looks fantastic. I splash on some Thayer's Rose -- mostly out of habit, the face feel from the soap doesn't really require it -- and I'm off to the races.

I arrived exactly 2 minutes late for my appointment, which in the south means I was 20 minutes early, and I had a terrific shave. My deep gratitude to those who made this possible: @GAW9576 for the CRS, @Elvis Outlander for the ability to use this magnificent handle, and @jmudrick for always posting such interesting equipment choices that it made me want to try some of these different handles. Gentlemen, thank you!!! And a big thanks to anyone who had the fortitude to make it through this ridiculously long post!!! By the way, the pics were taken post-shave (obviously) :001_smile
proxy.php

proxy.php

question for the Gem experts - which years/models have the word "Brooklyn" stamped on them? I've seen a few pics on google but don't know much about vintage Gems, just want to know what to look for while out on the hunt.

Ron R

question for the Gem experts - which years/models have the word "Brooklyn" stamped on them? I've seen a few pics on google but don't know much about vintage Gems, just want to know what to look for while out on the hunt.
Some of the Lather catchers have Brooklyn NY stamped on the razor and a lot of the 1912 models and the Gem jr 1912 models have Brooklyn stamped on the inside of the blade base plate. A Gem Jr 1912 is a good razor IMO to start with.

1572906582010.png

Have some great shaves!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
20191104_130154.jpg

Razor: MMOC
Blade: Gem PTFE (1)
Brush: Stirling 26mm Finest Badger
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap
Lather: Cella Crema Da Barba
Aftershave: Murray & Lanman Florida Water
Additional Care: Thayer's Witch Hazel