What's new

Micromatic Monday

Super quick single pass with the BMMOC.
Sorry @Ron R I got both with one razor. I said I'd forgive you I didn't say I wouldn't run it in a little.

20191014_162938.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Nicely done, gentlemen!!! I'm late, but I finally made it. It was late, but it was very nice shave. A Micromatic, Gem SS PTFE, TOST Soap and Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf. 2-passes and a quick touch-up to get really close and comfortable shave.
proxy.php

Flintstone65

All right guys, let's face it -- OCtober and the annual Charity Auction are providing some stiff competition for our shaving attention, but as someone who is firmly (and some would correctly say 'obsessively') entrenched in both of those threads, I say there is plenty of shave time to go around!!!

So as Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) approaches, let's show 'em what were made of and let those ASR colors fly!!! Okay, I may be sitting in my Lay-Z-Boy chair having a too-strong homemade margarita, and I may have lost the thread of where I was going with this spirited speech, but I DO know that I'll be shaving with at least 1 GEM (and/or closely related "cousin") tomorrow. I haven't made up my mind which one to use yet -- I'm thinking the 1903/1904 GEM, but I may also go an entirely different direction....we shall see, we shall see.

While I am in a slightly tipsy-"I love you guys" moment, I do want to say: thanks to everyone who is keeping this thread going. It seems that every week I hear about a new shaver discovering the joys of GEMs, and I firmly believe that you gents deserve a great deal of credit for helping folks "see the light" -- or in this case -- improve their shaves. So take a bow...and oh yeah, I love you guys......:a17:

We love you too @Flintstone65.
I'm posting this morning's shave late. It's been a busy day.
Proraso white pre shave balm.
Gem Bumpless MMOC with Gem SS PTFE and the TNNSER 3D with same blade.
Mer Shavings Fougere orange Dunkys Milk soap on two band badger. Witch hazel After Shave splash. Excellent shave on 6 days growth.

20191020_115557.jpg

Another Triple Play day today!

BMMOC (for MMMonday and OCtober)
Uncoated stainless (x1)
Tabac (for Tabactober)
Omega 636
IMG_20191021_063449-01.jpeg

Went back to the BMMOC today after a couple of 1912 Mondays. Gotta say that, for me, the BMMOC provides a closer, smoother, easier, more satisfying shave than the 1912. More blade feel and easier to find the perfect angles.

And after several shaves with carbon steel and coated stainless, and one try with the uncoated stainless, I can say that the carbon steel blades are not for me. I vastly prefer stainless, either coated or uncoated.

BBS today in three joyful passes.

Flintstone65

Another Triple Play day today!

BMMOC (for MMMonday and OCtober)
Uncoated stainless (x1)
Tabac (for Tabactober)
Omega 636
View attachment 1027811
Went back to the BMMOC today after a couple of 1912 Mondays. Gotta say that, for me, the BMMOC provides a closer, smoother, easier, more satisfying shave than the 1912. More blade feel and easier to find the perfect angles.

And after several shaves with carbon steel and coated stainless, and one try with the uncoated stainless, I can say that the carbon steel blades are not for me. I vastly prefer stainless, either coated or uncoated.

BBS today in three joyful passes.
Well played, sir....very well played!!! And I completely agree with you on the BMMOC (or even MMOC) over the 1912...."more satisfying" is exactly how I would describe it. And while I enjoy the occasional Treet carbon (and it's the only carbon blade I'm really into), I also prefer the SS (with PTFE for me, please).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 21 on a MMMonday and today out of the Gem rack came the legendary Micromatic open comb(MMOC) razor and it gave me a decent shave. Some blade feel for me and for myself that is a instant understanding of its ability to perform in a more aggressive way if I want it at my disposal. I find the MMOC not overly aggressive if used properly for my shave outcomes.

Razor : Micromatic open comb with bumps on base plate variant-MFG 1932-41-Bumpless base plate 1930-32
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (4)
Soap : Tabac
Brush : Razorock Noir 400
Preshave: Brush wash face with CeraVe hand bar soap + Dab of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area
Post shave: Dickinson's witch hazel
Post shave: Proraso green lotion AS + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + aftershave indicated minor irritation +1 weeper= :a17:
MMMonday 21-2019 (2).jpg

Sometimes I leave operating pamphlets for folks who did not receive them with used razors.

Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

So this is weird, but I'm looking for my GEMonday shave, and it's not here. I posted in a few places, and missed this one....too much going on. Oh well, here it is....better late than never.

It was an awesome shave with a new-to-me 1901'ish NEW GEM. This one came in a case with wedge blades (which I'll post in TALC, one of these days), but it also came with a fbroken swing bar. This is my 2nd NEW GEM, the first has a great swing bar and back clip, but is missing a blade stop; so it will shave well with a wedge blade, but not with modern blades. This 2nd NEW GEM has great blade stops and a back clip, so it should (and did) work well with a modern GEM blade; but without the swing bar it won't hold a wedge blade safely. Okay, enough back story -- let's get to the shave: it was a 2-pass no touch up shave that gave me a comfortable DFS shave -- as comfortable as the GEM Jr Bar, but a bit more efficient. The blade used was a very worn (13th shave), the excellent lather came from Tabac and a new Jayaruh boar brush (JR #373).
proxy.php

proxy.php

So this is weird, but I'm looking for my GEMonday shave, and it's not here. I posted in a few places, and missed this one....too much going on. Oh well, here it is....better late than never.

It was an awesome shave with a new-to-me 1901'ish NEW GEM. This one came in a case with wedge blades (which I'll post in TALC, one of these days), but it also came with a fbroken swing bar. This is my 2nd NEW GEM, the first has a great swing bar and back clip, but is missing a blade stop; so it will shave well with a wedge blade, but not with modern blades. This 2nd NEW GEM has great blade stops and a back clip, so it should (and did) work well with a modern GEM blade; but without the swing bar it won't hold a wedge blade safely. Okay, enough back story -- let's get to the shave: it was a 2-pass no touch up shave that gave me a comfortable DFS shave -- as comfortable as the GEM Jr Bar, but a bit more efficient. The blade used was a very worn (13th shave), the excellent lather came from Tabac and a new Jayaruh boar brush (JR #373).
proxy.php

proxy.php
That’s a terrific setup!

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's Odd. I remember commenting on how beautiful the razor and brush are, but I don't remember what thread it was on. I thought it was here. Maybe it was in the OCtober thread.

Ron R

proxy.php

proxy.php
Hello Fred :a17:, You have one busy person with SLANTober and OCtober threads I can see why a person can be on the wrong page. You are doing a excellent job with those interesting treads and you mentioned your JR brush, lets hope he recovers well from his fall.

Ron R

OCtober 28, MMMonday and decided to use my milder GEM Damaskeene OC than the MMOC for this occasion.

Razor: Gem Damaskeene open comb- MFG 1912-15
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6)
Soap: Nivea original shaving cream
Brush: Yaki tuxedo knot 24 mm+
Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + Dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave : Dickinson's witch hazel
Post shave: Nivea refreshing aftershave lotion + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation indicated + no weepers = :biggrin1:
OCtober 28-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

No pictures today, but a nice BMMOC shave this morning.

GEM Micromatic OC (uncoated stainless x2)
Tabac soap
CRV brush

I'm kinda liking the uncoated stainless blades ...

Flintstone65

OCtober 28, MMMonday and decided to use my milder GEM Damaskeene OC than the MMOC for this occasion.

Razor: Gem Damaskeene open comb- MFG 1912-15
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6)
Soap: Nivea original shaving cream
Brush: Yaki tuxedo knot 24 mm+
Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + Dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave : Dickinson's witch hazel
Post shave: Nivea refreshing aftershave lotion + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation indicated + no weepers = :biggrin1:

Have some great shaves!
No pictures today, but a nice BMMOC shave this morning.

GEM Micromatic OC (uncoated stainless x2)
Tabac soap
CRV brush

I'm kinda liking the uncoated stainless blades ...
Well done, gentlemen....two great razors for Micromatic Monday / GEMonday!!! I'm away from the shave den for a bit, and none of the razors with me can currently "contribute"....a big oversight on my part.

I have been flunking a few Micromatic Monday’s lately. Air travel :em1500: amirite!?

OCtober, so the chrome MMOC doubled with a New Improved. A fresh blade for each and a nice close shave.
85718225-DB25-42F3-BFF2-41D388B90588.jpeg

Flintstone65

MICROMATIC MONDAY APPROACHES!!!!! :a50:

Oh wait, was I yelling??? :yesnod: Good!!! It's time to make some noise and shake loose some Gems!!!!

So I will definitely be there with a Gem -- might be a Micromatic (it's been a while since I've used a Clog-Pruf) or a Lather Catcher (it's been toooo long since I've used a Gem Jr. Bar), or perhaps a Gem-Cousin (@jmudrick and I have recently acquired a tiny piece of hardware which has opened up the world of DE handles to many other vintage GEM/Ever-Readys -- like that beautiful Tibam handle on his ER 1914 (LLC)).

I can't decide at the moment -- how about you all (or y'all, as they say in my neck of the woods)??? Will you be joining in on Micromatic Monday / GEMonday??? Have you decided on a Gem (or perhaps Gems)??? Keep in mind that any American Safety Razor is welcome, regardless of age -- we even let those young punk Contours in (just kidding, I like my Contour).

It is time to get the party started :punk:!!!!

Top Bottom